Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Ladies Free Skates of All Time

Quote Originally Posted by karlowens2 View Post
    Siuzuki skated so beautifully at Japanese nationals last month. So mature and complete.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeZpGgKC94s

I was in the arena for the Oly 2006 short program. Cohen brought down the house; still the best short performace I´ve ever seen. I agreed Arakawa deserved he medal. But, I never saw her skate as well as that.

Suzuki really gave a performance for the ages! A Champions performance, A queen's performance!

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    great documentary!!!Thank you!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by christinaskater View Post
    Suzuki really gave a performance for the ages! A Champions performance, A queen's performance!
    Holy smokes! What a gorgeous skate. I was crying. There's an expression in English: her heart was in her eyes. That just about describes the expressive power Akiko showed in this program. I hope and pray she can skate like this in Sochi, because it is like watching a swan take flight.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Michelle is one skater in particular who really breaks my heart for not having won OGM. Given her consistency, artistry and strong technique (even if she wasn't THE best jumper of her era, she was a top-level jumper), she really should've won it. :sigh:

(Sasha -- I wasn't too broken up about because she was just so inconsistent.)
    There are many women skaters in history who were potentially good enough for OGM and never won it but 5 in particular who stand out for me are:

Kwan

Midori Ito- an iconic skater far ahead of her time. Figures screwed her in 88, and in 92 the pressure form the Japanese media probably cost her the gold.

Janet Lynn

Irina Slutskaya- I know she has her detractors but for her incredibly long career at or near the top, should have managed the gold in atleast 1 of 2002 and 2006, both which she would have won with even a clean and cautious 6 triple effort.

Mao Asada- if she doesnt win in 2014 (and I dont think she will). Would probably have won in 2006 had it not been for the age rule keeping her out, and had a long career at the top like Irina, but Yu Na Kim emerged. A skater who pushed the envelope technically, landed 3 clean triple axels in some competitions, and is also a beautiful spinner and artist.

Ito also got screwed in 1992 by Bonaly on practice. She backflipped right where Ito was setting up her 3A for the SP which she ended up crashing on in practice. This got in her head for the balance of the week.

Banned
    What a chain of events Ito winning in 92 would have set up too. Kristi was always planning on staying for 94, in part since her defeats to Harding and Ito early in the 92 season made her feel like she wasnt going to win without the triple axel (which she tried hard to acquire in practice but never could) despite being reigning World Champion. After winning in 92 I think she was initially still planning on going to 94, but the pro opportunities came and pro life was just too cushy and lucrative to want to bother with amateur skating having done it all, especialy as an amateur she wasnt getting near the endorsements Kerrigan did due to her Asian American heritage. Had Ito won in 92, Krist would have dominated 93 and 94, and the whole Baiul fairytale rise, Kerrigan vs Harding drama, would have never happened. Then others like Baiul, Sato, who wouldnt have won their big titles almost certainly stay, and does this interfere with the rises of Kwan, and even moreso Lipinski. Does Tara even still win in 98, and if she does does she too stay until 2002 too. So many what ifs.

Banned
    I also forgot if Kristi doesnt win in 92 and stays for 94, and the whole Kerrigan-Harding thing never happens, pro skating never takes off so much from 94-99 so Baiul, Lipinski, and almost everyone probably stays amateur alot longer which changes everything too. Then again maybe Harding clubs Kristi now, or hires someone to club both.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Ito also got screwed in 1992 by Bonaly on practice. She backflipped right where Ito was setting up her 3A for the SP which she ended up crashing on in practice. This got in her head for the balance of the week.
    This is such an old wives tale. Bonaly did the backflip-3toe at the opposite end of the rink of Ito's axel. Yes Ito was there at the end of the rink when Bonaly did that, but I am hardly convinced Bonaly even bothered her. And Ito didn't crash on that run, she popped it. And if Ito was bothered by a Bonaly Back and it was THAT that got in her head then she didn't have the intestinal fortitude to ever be an Oly champ. Let go of that tale. It's like saying Chouinard woulda coulda shoulda done better in Lillehamer except for Harding. Except we see poor Josee give the exact same performance a few weeks later at Worlds and she has no excuse but herself.

Tripping on the Podium
    Sasha Cohen - 2004 Marshalls Swan Lake
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouNL5ux17c4

Perfect (for once in her life). Never seen a better program. In the words of Dick Button . . . "Stunning, beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, oh gully!"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I also forgot if Kristi doesnt win in 92 and stays for 94, and the whole Kerrigan-Harding thing never happens, pro skating never takes off so much from 94-99 so Baiul, Lipinski, and almost everyone probably stays amateur alot longer which changes everything too. Then again maybe Harding clubs Kristi now, or hires someone to club both.
    Hmm, maybe. But weren't there only two spots for '94? So maybe Nancy still gets whacked. And it would have been pretty exciting if Kristi had won two Olympic golds. This makes me wish she had stayed in!

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Hmm, maybe. But weren't there only two spots for '94? So maybe Nancy still gets whacked. And it would have been pretty exciting if Kristi had won two Olympic golds. This makes me wish she had stayed in!
    If Kristi stayed in and skated in 1993 at Worlds, it's unlikely we would have had only two slots for the 1994 Olympics. I don't see Kristi finishing out of the medals at that World Championships, to be honest.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEagle3313 View Post
    If Kristi stayed in and skated in 1993 at Worlds, it's unlikely we would have had only two slots for the 1994 Olympics. I don't see Kristi finishing out of the medals at that World Championships, to be honest.
    Good point! Does this mean Kristi is really to blame for the knee-whacking?

Custom Title
    I was watching some of the performances from the 92 and 94 Games on YouTube and I was struck by how flawed some of them were. I guess because of Nagano, Salt Lake, and Vancouver I've come to expect Olympic medalists to do clean 6- or 7-triple free skates to get on the podium. Even Kristi Yamaguchi, Oksana Baiul, and Nancy Kerrigan had multiple errors in their free programs. The pitch perfect Olympic moment is rarer than I realized.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amc987 View Post
    I was watching some of the performances from the 92 and 94 Games on YouTube and I was struck by how flawed some of them were. I guess because of Nagano, Salt Lake, and Vancouver I've come to expect Olympic medalists to do clean 6- or 7-triple free skates to get on the podium. Even Kristi Yamaguchi, Oksana Baiul, and Nancy Kerrigan had multiple errors in their free programs. The pitch perfect Olympic moment is rarer than I realized.
    Yes, isn't it amazing when you realize how rare a smooth performance is at the Olympics. I remember the first time I looked back at Kristi's 1992 long program at Albertville. When she fell, I was shocked. I totally hadn't remembered that. One thinks of Kristi as always being cool under pressure, and being meticulous and pretty much perfect.

It gives one a greater respect for what these skaters do, doesn't it? It's a good thing no one can monitor their blood pressure during an Olympic skating performance. Can you imagine how high the readings would be? (They'd be high enough just in the fans and the coaches!)

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    Good point! Does this mean Kristi is really to blame for the knee-whacking?

I think the Japanese Media circus in 1992 is to blame. It put so much pressure on Midori that she didn't skate to her potential and beat Kristi, which kept Kristi from staying amateur through 1994, which led to only two US Olympic spots in 1994, which led (probably) to 'the whack heard 'round the world.' (DISCLAIMER: this is all sarcasm.)

On topic, I've been lurking in this thread, because there are so many performances that I find to be great for different reasons, that it's tough for me to decide. It's like my favorite food...depends on how hungry I am. For example, Naomi Nari Nam, although objectively not the greatest ladies' performance, showed her talent and youthful exuberance so well in 1999 at Nationals...I find myself youtubing it from time to time just to smile. I also find myself drawn to somewhat underdog skaters who have their one great performance: Caryn Kadavy at the 87 worlds, Angela Nikodinov LP at 2001 Nats, Fumie Suguri at 2002 Worlds...none of those are in the running, but they're great to me because those are the performances where the skaters, for that one moment, overcame everything else and skated their best. One other performance is Sasha Cohen at Cup of Russia in (I think) 2002 when she skated her Rach program mostly cleanly.

As far as (what I would call to be objective) bests: Midori Ito's 1990 worlds LP, Kristi Yamaguchi's 1992 Nats LP, Lu Chen's 1995 worlds LP (especially if she hits the 2nd lutz), Lu Chen's 1996 Worlds LP, Michelle Kwan's 2001 Worlds LP, and now I'm letting the list get too long.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast