Sometimes bad skating happens to good people...
1. Kwan 1998- just a perfect blend of choreography with required elements. It transcended being a SP
2. Ito 1988- the first time she blended her own style with a well choreographed program. I loved her lutz-like entrance into the 2axel with her hands by her side. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBZcvpKmKQA
3. Rochette 2010- an amazing program given her circumstances
I agree with most people here but yes mirai's pirates, Kiira's over the rainbow and Nikodinov just for you I should add too.
wow, I recall the name...her speed was like Irinsa's but she was more graceful...reminded me of Midori a bit, too.
Originally Posted by A.H.Black
Also, I think Mirai's Pirates at Olympics was wonderful, I just watched it last night...sigh sigh sigh for what was to come for her. She was beyond delightful. In a class with Kwan and Suzuki. I also think Joannie's Sp one of the most memorable if not the most for many reasons. The whole wolrd was sobbing and afraid for her and she did so well. Her training really kicked in. Loved her as a skater. ?My Immortal" was a great gala skate. She was so elegant, sophisticated, and held her own against YuNa and Mao in their prime.
I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!!
Maria Butyrskaya 1993 EC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfsHzUwu5E (Kojiki by Kitaro. Just impressively confident, notice the entry into the 2A)
Katarina Witt 1994 OG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmrprWr-kUM (yup, 3T2T is nothing to write home about, but that was a beautiful emotional moment)
Yuka Sato 1994 WC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfkeJgVMw-w (great skate at home, setting the stage for her WC win. she said she chose the music because listening to it made her happy )
Nicole Bobek 1995 WC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfcohSFIOE (not a big fan of her out-of-the-rink activities or of her textbook Flutz, but the performance was great - and it was a huge Flutz )
Chen Lu 1996 WC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-DeyZ5yY28 (so delicate and silent to accentuate the emotion)
Sasha Cohen 2002 OG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDWCrlkloPA (she had charisma oozing out of her. as well as blood out of her nose!)
Fumie Suguri 2002 WC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfIMDI7doWI (great to skate clean at home. as clean as at the OG where she was low-balled to 7th in the SP, due in part to an early starting number)
Carolina Kostner 2003 WC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZBz7juIsg4 (so cute and young - jumped without any fear!)
Kim Yu-Na 2010 OG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xeO1qWH1JA (in command!)
Ksenia Makarova 2012 WC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvYDThM58U (I just love the music, choreo and polish. This is NC, has better sound and the commentator shuts up)
Viktoria Volchkova 1998 SA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jniy2CbyaAA (on her 16th birthday! She looks older and more mature than many skaters 5 years her senior)
Lenka Kulovana 1997 EC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5Hr-UDFEw (Music "Romance for Lenka" was composed for her)
Mojca Kopač 2000 EC; 2004 EC Not to be found on youtube. Hey, if anyone has videos of my personal favorite and would put them on youtube, I'd seriously offer one of my kidneys!
Yuna kim 2007 worlds, 2009 worls, 2010 olympics
Mao asada 2010 olympics, 2013 gpf
Joannie rochette 2010 olympics
This one is easier than the best LPs. My top 10:
1. Yu Na Kim 2010 Olympics
2. Yu Na Kim 2009 Worlds
3. Mao Asada 2006 Skate America
4. Midori Ito 1988 Olympics
5. Michelle Kwan 1998 Nationals
6. Maria Butyrskaya 2000 Worlds
7. Irina Slutskaya 2002 Worlds
8. Sasha Cohen 2004 Worlds
9. Kristi Yamaguchi 1992 Olympics
10. Yu Na Kim 2007 Worlds
Josee Chouinard 1994 and 1996 short programs loved the dresses and the choreography
She never skated either totally clean though. Story of her career.
Originally Posted by LisaS
she came pretty close with this performance
sorry struggling to provide link Josee 1994 short at worlds.had a minor issue on the dlying spin otherwise she was clean. Check it out on you tube. Also Her 1996 Champion srries final short
Hmm. Some of these I wouldn't call "the greatest," but they are my favorites (by chronological order):
- Lu Chen - "Spring Breeze" SP - 1996 Worlds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-DeyZ5yY28)
- Michelle Kwan - "Romanza" SP - 1996 Worlds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvRCis1upE)
- Michelle Kwan - "Dream of Desdemona" SP - 1996 Ultimate Four (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfV0Ck1wlA0)
- Sasha Cohen - "Malaguena" SP - 2004 Worlds ([urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPG77iWPEyA[/url])
- Sasha Cohen - "Dark Eyes" SP - 2006 Olympics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELFerA2QZX8)
- Alissa Czisny - "The Swan" SP - 2009 U.S. Nationals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs6ZlAI2HE8)
- Yuna Kim - "Danse Macabre" SP - 2009 Worlds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVasw3hP3Rw)
- Yuna Kim - "Bond Medley" SP - 2009 Skate America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU4hgHVrc-k)
- Alissa Czisny - "La vie en rose" SP - 2011 Skate America (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OrYWKSrNrQ)
- Mao Asada - "Scheherazade" SP - 2011 Japanese Nationals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxlmoP7Awgg)
Geez. By my list, you would think that there was nothing I really, really liked between 1996 and 2004 (which is not true). It's very difficult to narrow it all down to ten!
and... World Peace!
Angela Nikodinov's "Just For You"
Carolina Kostner 2012 WTT
Alena Leonova 2012 Worlds
Kanako Murakami 2012 Worlds
Miki Ando 2011 Worlds
Yuna Kim 2010 Olympics
Joannie Rochette 2010 Olympics
Yuna Kim 2009 Worlds
Carolina Kosnter 2007 Worlds
Sasha Cohen 2006 Olympics
Sasha Cohen 2004 Worlds
Carolina Kostner 2004 Worlds
Michelle Kwan 1998 Olympics
Oksana Baiul 1994 Olympics
Midori Ito 1988 Olympics
True, she was almost clean in those. She always had some minor issue though, her bobble on the landing of the flying sit I really think cost her 1st or 2nd place in the short program of those Worlds. At Canadians she had a noticeable wobble during the camel spin to start her combination spin, and at Piruetten she had a break on one of the spins again (bizarre mistakes that you rarely see).
Originally Posted by LisaS
At the 1996 Champion Series Final she had very shaky landings on 1 or 2 of the judges IIRC. Although she still beat a clean Slutskaya, and took 2 judges off a clean Chen.