As time fades, a legend grows...
But of course .
Originally Posted by andyjo24
Mao Asada - 2013 GPF - The best of the ladies SP this season
Yuna Kim - 2007 Worlds - the girl was on fire.
Akiko Suzuki - 2011-12 - I loved every time she performed her SP that season.
Michelle Kwan - 1996 Worlds - Magical is the best description I can give her performance
Michelle Kwan Rachmaninoff 98 Nationals
Michelle Kwan Romanza 96 Worlds
Michelle Kwan East of Eden 2001 Nationals
Michelle Kwan The Feeling Begins 2003 Worlds
Michelle Kwan Spartacus 2005 Nationals
Michelle Kwan Dream of Desdemona 1996 (often overlooked, but stunning when she skated it clean. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEklWrSU8VQzz)
Sasha Cohen 2006 Olympics by an absolute mile!
Mirai Nagasu 2010 US Nationals
Yuna Kim 2010 Olympics
she takes the audience on her journey of emotions
Originally Posted by lovegoodxo
I loved Sasha's 2004 Worlds SP even better. I like this thread because Sasha gets on many of the lists
I also think I like Yuna Kim's Dance Macabre at 2009 worlds better than her Olympic SP.
ETA: Although now that I'm rewatching Dance Macabre after a very long time, Kim really was helped by the change of rule on the spiral sequence. That part really detracts from the program. (Doesn't help to hear Scott Hamilton blathering about her 'perfect positions' (huh?) ). Look back so many years later, perhaps her Bond piece holds together better as a piece of choreography. Plus, she had the slightly harder triple-triple combination.
the spiral combo looks better on her here:
Is it just the angle of the camera, or the way it was integrated into the choreo or that Kim improved in a year?
Still, DM is an electric performance.
Last edited by Layfan; 01-01-2014 at 02:31 PM.
1. Even though I prefer Mao to Yuna I must say Yuna's Danse Macabre (especially the Worlds version) is my favorite SP by far. It would have been amazing if she skated it at the Olympics (I like Bond too, but not as much as Danse Macabre). That music was perfect for her in every way, it was a masterpiece.
2. Caro's 2007 Worlds SP. That was absolutely perfect and magical
3. Mao's 2006 SA SP and Mao's 2008 Worlds SP (I love them equally as much)
4. Yuna's 2007 SP
5. Akiko's 2011 NHK trophy SP (the audience clapping helped as well and the joy in her skating was close to none)
Just some of my favourites! NBo particular order, just as they come to me.
1) Michelle Kwan 1998 Rachmaninoff @Nationals
2) Yu Na Kim 2010 James Bond @Olympics
3) Oksana Baiul 1994 The Swan @ Olympics
4) Sasha Cohen 2006 Dark Eyes @ Olympics
5) Michelle Kwan 2003 The Feeling Begins @ Worlds
6) Mirai Nagasu 2010 Pirates @ Worlds
Rejoicing in the land of Kwan
Top 5 off the top of my head...
1. Michelle Kwan: 1998 Rachmaninoff (the musicality, pacing and delivery of this is just unmatched)
2. Sasha Cohen: 2004 Malaguena (the passion and fire was amazing; no one has done Malaguena justice since)
3. Michelle Kwan: 2001 East of Eden (it's iconic; no one has owned this music like she did)
4. Yu-Na Kim: 2009 Danse Macabre (it was untouchable and package-wise, it was perfection)
5. Mao Asada: 2013 Nocturne (unbelievably beautiful; the maturity and emotion in her delivery is what puts it above the original for me)
1. Oksana Baiul- 1994 Olympics
2. Sasha Cohen- 2006 Olympics
3. Yuna Kim- 2010 Olympics
4. Mirai Nagasu- 2010 Olympics
5. Yuna Kim- 2009 Worlds
Oksana Baiul- 1994 Olympics
Elena Sokolova - 1993 Worlds
Irina Slutzkaya - 2002 Olympics
Sasha Cohen- 2006 Olympics
Mao Asada - 2010 Olympics
Yuna Kim- 2009 Worlds
Adelina Sotnikova - 2013 Euros
Mao Asada - 2012 Japanese Nationals and 2013 GPF
Michelle has some gorgeous SP's. DOD is stunning.
Originally Posted by jenaj
This is also something made of magic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ0reeUnAmE
Rejoicing in the land of Kwan
Oh crud! How could I forget about DOD?! I wrote a freakin' love note to it for goodness sake!
Originally Posted by KwanIsALegand
In search of a summer sport to love <3
Haha, love it! And I loved DOD. Can't believe I'd forgotten about it.
Originally Posted by kwanatic
1. Oxana in 1994! of course..
Sacha Cohen 2006
Yuna 2007 SP
"Tango De Roxane" Yu-Na Kim 2007 Worlds.
"Send In The Clowns" -Yu-Na Kim 2014 Korean Nationals.
"Danse Macabre"-Yu-Na Kim.
Hymne à l'amour by Akiko Suzuki 2014 Japanese Nationals
Rachmaninoff -Michelle Kwan 1998 US Nationals
East of Eden- Michelle Kwan.
Kill Bill- Akiko Suzuki.
Hungarian Rhapsody- Akiko Suzuki.
Dark Eyes-Sasha Cohen.
My Sweet and Tender Beast- Sasha Cohen.
Romanza- Michelle Kwan.
Dream of Desdemona- Michelle Kwan.
The Feeling Begins - Michelle Kwan.
Claire De Lune by Mao Asada.
Masquerade Waltz by Mao Asada.
Nocturne- Mao Asada.
Sing, Sing- Mao Asada.
The Mission by Miki Ando.
Scene D'Amour- Maria Butyrskaya