Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
The new SP Lori choreographed of course looked "plastic" at the Disson show because it was new! She hadn't had time to really *get into* it yet. I suspect in the time between her last Gp and Nationals, she's worked on connecting with the program and consistency. FWIW, Gold LOVES the athletic side of the sport (jumping, spinning, and going as fast as possible) and has slowly tried to embrace the artistic side. She'll get there.

Excellent point. When did you see her new SP? I'm just curious how much time she had between getting the new program and how much time she has before nationals from that point. Also, did she keep the same basic layout of her elements?

ForeverFish

Medalist
Excellent point. When did you see her new SP? I'm just curious how much time she had between getting the new program and how much time she has before nationals from that point. Also, did she keep the same basic layout of her elements?

She performed it at the American Legends show, on Dec. 11. I imagine she started work on it after the NHK Trophy.

Fancam: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4idjEkR-Bs8&feature=youtu.be

You can see she's sticking with the 3-3, 3Lo, and 2A, in that order. She missed the back end of the 3-3 because she was running out of ice (small rink), but she redid it for the recording that will be shown on TV.

RobinA

On the Ice
I think Gold could win Nationals. Whether she does or not is a different story. I also don't know if I want her to win Nationals. I'm not a Wagner fan and I waaay prefer Gold, but I think her winning Nationals this year may be too soon. I would like her to go to Olympics and place top ten. Then in four years, barring injury and/ot burnout, she could be the seasoned US Ladies favorite. That's just the way I see it based on what we know now. I also don't think Ashley is an Olympic podium threat.

ForeverFish

Medalist
^I agree. Right now, I don't think Gracie needs the pressure of entering the Olympics as the reigning US champion. With her history of nerves, a second-place finish would be much better for her -- she could compete in Sochi without worrying that she's carrying the brunt of the USFSA's expectations on her shoulders.

Still, if she shows that she's capable of landing her jumps at Nationals, I don't see why she couldn't win -- objectively speaking, of course.

desertskates

Medalist
She performed it at the American Legends show, on Dec. 11. I imagine she started work on it after the NHK Trophy.

You can see she's sticking with the 3-3, 3Lo, and 2A, in that order. She missed the back end of the 3-3 because she was running out of ice (small rink), but she redid it for the recording that will be shown on TV.

Wow, thanks for putting that up! She's never been my favorite cup of tea (it may be the arms) but I love the music, dress and basic layout. I think it can really shine at Nationals on a full sized rink.
I do have to say, though, that I'm on Team Ashley for the threepeat. Gracie's had a tumultuous year, and I think her best years are yet to come.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I didn't have the antipathy of most to her first SP this season, but even so I have to admit I like the new short. I actually think it appears a little more natural and organic to me than it does to kwanatic, for example. Or at least, I was expecting much worse perhaps based on this thread.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice

Thank you! Looking forward to seeing it at Nationals.

wootie

Match Penalty
Well, it's definitely an improvement over her last short program. At least the music isn't equivalent to a poor animal dying slowly in the street . Also, I noticed the music is the same Grieg concerto that Miki Ando used when she won the world championships in Moscow in 2011. Maybe it's a harbinger of things to come?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I didn't have the antipathy of most to her first SP this season, but even so I have to admit I like the new short. I actually think it appears a little more natural and organic to me than it does to kwanatic, for example. Or at least, I was expecting much worse perhaps based on this thread.

I like the new short more than the old short also. There is still something that strikes me as awkward about her arms, almost like they fling around as she moves her body rather than being under control. But if she skates this clean next weekend only Ashley can beat it.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, it's definitely an improvement over her last short program. At least the music isn't equivalent to a poor animal dying slowly in the street . Also, I noticed the music is the same Grieg concerto that Miki Ando used when she won the world championships in Moscow in 2011. Maybe it's a harbinger of things to come?

That word again...OT but really curious if you read the bestseller, "The Harbinger?"

eta, I loved that first sp-it was difficult and edgy-maybe a different orchestration could have been found? judges liked it, most importantly. Grace was aweson in that SP-the new one is meh, just like her LP. She is a pretty girl with great figure but she is an athlete and they chose pretty princess for her. Totally off the mark, and does not show how good she is, imo.

ForeverFish

Medalist
I like the new short more than the old short also. There is still something that strikes me as awkward about her arms, almost like they fling around as she moves her body rather than being under control. But if she skates this clean next weekend only Ashley can beat it.

If Gracie is actually to win Nationals (could happen, probably won't), Ashley must beat her in the SP -- otherwise, the pressure of skating last in the FS will mess with her head, and she'll have an epic meltdown in front of everyone. It's a pretty stressful position to be in, since you know how all of your competitors performed and are mentally tallying points, trying to see where you can or can't make a mistake. Even Yuna Kim admitted to being nervous as the last to skate in the 2013 Worlds FS.

Edit: Yes, I'm still a big Gracie fan. I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Selene

On the Ice
:laugh:

I understand that Gracie still needs to improve in certain areas, but I'll never understand the personal dislike that some skating fans seem to harbor for her. Even if everything Selene said was objectively accurate (a "mediocre" sixth at Worlds? In her first senior season? Really?), Gracie shouldn't have to take the heat for what the hype machine has created -- impossible expectations. As a second-year senior, she's had decent results from every angle.

Call me a fool, but I'm hoping she'll give two fantastic skates at Nationals and silence the doubters. In the end, I don't know if Gracie can overtake Ashley. I guess we'll see next weekend.

I admit that calling Gracie’s results “terrible” was an overstatement. But her results have been very mediocre. She has yet to deliver two clean programs in one senior competition or show any sort of consistency in her performances.

Given the hype the IMG team behind her has generated about her being the future of American figure skating (you are naive if you don't believe her team has had an active role is creating the hype that surrounds her,) I have been very underwhelmed by her – from her programs to her lack of jump consistency. At this point, I consider her to be another Agnes Zawadzki – a skater who doesn’t have the jump consistency necessary to be a podium contender at the international level.

She’s had two seasons of skating at the senior level, and she’s still regularly delivering long programs where she only lands three or four triple jumps. So, at this point, I think it’s unlikely that she’s going to magically develop the sort of jump consistency necessary to be a champion.

I also don’t think she’s accomplished enough to justify being held up by the judges at US Nationals (like Ashley was last season.) If she delivers her usual underwhelming long program (three or four triples,) I don’t want to see her make the Olympic team over skaters that land six or seven triples in their long programs at US Nationals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I admit that calling Gracie’s results “terrible” was an overstatement. But her results have been very mediocre. She has yet to deliver two clean programs in one senior competition or show any sort of consistency in her performances.

Given the hype the IMG team behind her has generated about her being the future of American figure skating (you are naive if you don't believe her team has had an active role is creating the hype that surrounds her,) I have been very underwhelmed by her – from her programs to her lack of jump consistency. At this point, I consider her to be another Agnes Zawadzki – a skater who doesn’t have the jump consistency necessary to be a podium contender at the international level.

She’s had two seasons of skating at the senior level, and she’s still regularly delivering long programs where she only lands three or four triple jumps. So, at this point, I think it’s unlikely that she’s going to magically develop the sort of jump consistency necessary to be a champion.

I also don’t think she’s accomplished enough to justify being held up by the judges at US Nationals (like Ashley was last season.) If she delivers her usual underwhelming long program (three or four triples,) I don’t want to see her make the Olympic team over skaters that land six or seven triples in their long programs at US Nationals.

I'm going to take a moment and break my usual policy of not commenting on the boards. /end disclaimer.

It's definitely OK to voice criticisms of Gracie or any other skater. However, you have been quite extreme in your critical posts and, quite frankly, been a broken record. It seems that no matter what she does she is "terrible" or "mediocre" to you.

I have been more prone to not take your posts seriously because it's "same crap, different day." And that's at best. At worst, you come off as a bitter hater.

Back to your post at hand. I don't agree with your point that she's underperforming to her full potential means "she's unlikely going to magically develop the sort of jump consistency necessary to be a champion." Based on your career assessment, that Jason Brown is doomed in his career because he took 3.5 years to learn the 3A and continues to work away at making two 3As consistent in his FS. Or that Ashely Wagner shouldn't have bothered to compete after 2011 due to her tendency to bomb the SP, which lasted for several years. And Ashley won U.S. Nationals (and 4CC) with a lovely 7-triple FS in 2012, on her fifth try. So yeah...these expectations that people should click immediately is :laugh:.

Also comparing her to Agnes Zawadzki isn't even accurate. She isn't Agnes because 1.) She had made the World team on her first try (which Agnes didn't do) 2.) She got a a GP medal in her first season (Agnes took three seasons to do so) and 3.) Her PB is 22 points higher. FWIW, her PB is the 18th highest among all women since the new scoring system was implemented.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Pls Gracie has medaled in 2 out her 4 GP events
her 3rd place finish score at 2013 SC would have been enough for her to medal in NHK or win at CoC even with mistakes and her score
she came in 6th in her Worlds debut, No doubt she will be in the podium in the coming years

I suspect Wagner will bring into the pressure and make a lot of mistakes
Gracie will have less to worry about Nationals unlike Wagner whose steam has been losing since the GPF

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Pls Gracie has medaled in 3 out her 4 GP events
her 3rd place finish score at 2013 SC would have been enough for her to medal in NHK or win at CoR even with mistakes and her score
she came in 6th in her Worlds debut, No doubt she will be in the podium in the coming years

I suspect Wagner will bring into the pressure and make a lot of mistakes
Gracie will have less to worry about Nationals unlike Wagner whose steam has been losing since the GPF

No, she's 50/50 on events. Medaled at one, OTP at the other last two seasons.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

I wasn't aware that there were any other competitions she competed in after the GPF but before Nationals that would lead you to believe this.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wasn't aware that there were any other competitions she competed in after the GPF but before Nationals that would lead you to believe this.

she wouldnt even have made the podium at the GPF had Elena not fallen in the FS
and most certainly thanks to Sotnikova headcasing in the FS

this is typical Wagner losing steam at the middle of the season
it will be wise for the USFS to support and propp Gracie as the No.1 lady for Sochi
if Gracie will go clean she must have higher PCS than Wagner at Nationals

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I'm going to take a moment and break my usual policy of not commenting on the boards. /end disclaimer.

It's definitely OK to voice criticisms of Gracie or any other skater. However, you have been quite extreme in your critical posts and, quite frankly, been a broken record. It seems that no matter what she does she is "terrible" or "mediocre" to you.

I have been more prone to not take your posts seriously because it's "same crap, different day." And that's at best. At worst, you come off as a bitter hater.

Back to your post at hand. I don't agree with your point that she's underperforming to her full potential means "she's unlikely going to magically develop the sort of jump consistency necessary to be a champion." Based on your career assessment, that Jason Brown is doomed in his career because he took 3.5 years to learn the 3A and continues to work away at making two 3As consistent in his FS. Or that Ashely Wagner shouldn't have bothered to compete after 2011 due to her tendency to bomb the SP, which lasted for several years. And Ashley won U.S. Nationals (and 4CC) with a lovely 7-triple FS in 2012, on her fifth try. So yeah...these expectations that people should click immediately is :laugh:.

Also comparing her to Agnes Zawadzki isn't even accurate. She isn't Agnes because 1.) She had made the World team on her first try (which Agnes didn't do) 2.) She got a a GP medal in her first season (Agnes took three seasons to do so) and 3.) Her PB is 22 points higher. FWIW, her PB is the 18th highest among all women since the new scoring system was implemented.
:agree:

she wouldnt even have made the podium at the GPF had Elena not fallen in the FS
and most certainly thanks to Sotnikova headcasing in the FS
It's no longer only being a headcase, now one - well, Sotnikova for you - does headcase.
Headcase is now a verb, and an action. Like I make a sandwich, it's also I headcase.
It's so confusing, yet enriching for my level of English :popcorn::scratch::popcorn: