Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ? | Golden Skate

Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Gracie has improved immensely since last season
she had time to work on a new SP and seems to be on the right track for a better change

Can a clean Gracie beat a clean Wagner finally ? lets take note Gracie's PCS rose this season compared to last
and I think some people are overestimating Wagner, No US lady has won 3 consecutive titles since Kwan
she isn't that much reliable and seems to have lost steam since the GPF

Gracie has an edge imo
she is fresh, new to the scene and heavily marketed by NBC and US media as the "golden girl" and best hope for US ladies medal
Gracie has the raw talent: she has speed, the jumps, power, has improved her artistry and being an attractive girl isnt bad at all.

LauraV

On the Ice
"Finally"?

It's her second year of senior eligibility.

Yeah, what has taken her so long?

ETA: Sarcasm aside, I think it's possible Gracie will win, but Ashley is still the odds on favorite, imo, and for good reason.

Good luck to both of them.

samson

Medalist
We'll have to see! I'm not convinced that Gracie has the consistency yet to expect a 1-2 punch from her at nationals, but then again Frank is Frank and he knows how to get a skater there, especially when the Olympics are just around the corner.

Gracie definitely has the speed, big jumps and youthful energy that is really appealing.

I honestly think that even with Gracie's new SP and the shortcomings of Ashley's LP, Ashley still has the better material/packaging of the two. I think Ashley's SP is much stronger and I really don't care for Sleeping Beauty. I think it will be close but if Ashley and Gracie both hit the triples and go clean on everything else I still think the edge will still go to Ashley.

Ashley has still out performed her when they've gone head to head internationally and has been way more consistent this fall even if she did seem to lose steam at the GPF much like last year. I also think the way Ashley delivered at SKAM this year showed her ability to rise to the moment.

If Gracie is clean and Ashley falters, I think we'll have a new champion, but even though Ashley isn't the shiny new face that American Figure Skating seems to love, she's got the attention of ESPN, NBC, FoxSports etc... not to mention more endorsements than any other olympic hopeful this year. Michelle Kwan just did an interview with her. ESPN wrote a new article about her not 24 hrs ago.

Gracie is exciting, and has tons of talent but I don't know... if Ashley skates like a Champion I think they'll give it to her. I don't think she's going to get quite the inflation she got last season - but I don't see why USFSA (and NBC for that matter) wouldn't find it fabulous to have a three time national champion for Sochi.

Incidentally if she does three-peat she'll be the first to do that since Michelle, and have just as many National titles as Jill Trenary, Rosalynn Sumners and Dorothy Hamill. Not a bad group of ladies to be associated with... but she'll need to win it first.

One thing is clear, if they both skate well we're going to have a great show down.

amc987

On the Ice
I think it's Ashley's to win or lose. If she skates cleanly (with her 3F-3T in both programs), she should win. Her component scores are justifiably much higher than Gracie's. Gracie's jumps are better and her spins are faster, but her inconsistency does her in. I don't actually think it'll be that close unless Gracie skates lights out and Ashley has a mistake or two. I'm guessing Ashley by 5-7 points.

Disagree with whoever said Wagner lost steam at the GPF. I thought her SP there was the best she's done this season. Her LP was a bit of a mess, but presentation-wise I think it was still better than it was at the Japan Open and Skate America. Still needs work to get 7 triples credited and make the slow section more compelling.

Also, is this thread title really necessary? Gracie is a second-year senior. Give the girl a break. I'm sure she'll win Nationals at least a couple of times before she's done.

Icey

Record Breaker
Gracie has improved immensely since last season
she had time to work on a new SP and seems to be on the right track for a better change

Can a clean Gracie beat a clean Wagner finally ? lets take note Gracie's PCS rose this season compared to last
and I think some people are overestimating Wagner, No US lady has won 3 consecutive titles since Kwan
she isn't that much reliable and seems to have lost steam since the GPF

Gracie has an edge imo
she is fresh, new to the scene and heavily marketed by NBC and US media as the "golden girl" and best hope for US ladies medal

Gracie has the raw talent: she has speed, the jumps, power, has improved her artistry and being an attractive girl isnt bad at all.

I wouldn't agree that she has improved "IMMENSELY" since last season. And I don't think there is enough evidence to prove she is on the right track. That being said, it certainly is possible she might win nationals.

wootie

Match Penalty
Anything is possible. That being said, Gracie really needs to prove that she has the mental fortitude to skate a clean program, short or long. Her long program this season is mega boring and disposable, so she really needs to wow us with her technical capability. Her jumps and footwork will be her ticket to a national title. Hopefully her short program is soft and sexy...the abomination that was her previous short program has to be left at the bottom of the dumpster for all eternity.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think they see Ashley as a real threat for Podium in Sochi. Benefit of doubt to Ashley, as she had a better season. Grace has raw talent but she is not as tough as Ashley. I hope Ashley wins convincingly to give her a great send off to Sochi. Grace should have kept the quirky, difficult SP, it showed she has speed in footwork as well. Judges liked it. I find her new Sp as boring as her LP. Ashley sadly lost Philip Mills. Her programs are good but not great like last two seasons. Samson and Delilah or Black Swan were better vehicles. Much more memorable choreography. If she is clean, she should win. But then again, grace can come from behind in a big way. So Grace does best as underdog with something to prove.

I hope is is Ashley, then Grace, then Cesario skating lights out into third. Go Sam! But best to all.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She's got a shot but Ashley is still the favourite. As the #1 US skater, Ashley is worrying about medaling in Sochi. Gold however has to worry about beating her and then can shift on Sochi prospects.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I would be surprised if Wagner does not win. She's had the best season, has the most maturity, and has been determined. I'd expect a nice PCS cushion. Anything could happen, but I don't think GG will close the gap.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley is a good skater but just doesn't do it for me. She seems to have maxed out her potential and isn't in the league of the top Ladies. I think it says something about the level of skating in US Ladies that she has been dominating nationally and yet has never gotten on the podium at Worlds. I can't remember the last time a defending 2 time US Ladies champion has never made the podium at Worlds. If the top Ladies like Kim,Mao and Kostner decided to go to Worlds after the Olympics Wagner could be a 3-time US champion and still not medal yet again which says everything you need to know.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Ashley is a good skater but just doesn't do it for me. She seems to have maxed out her potential and isn't in the league of the top Ladies. I think it says something about the level of skating in US Ladies that she has been dominating nationally and yet has never gotten on the podium at Worlds. I can't remember the last time a defending 2 time US Ladies champion has never made the podium at Worlds. If the top Ladies like Kim,Mao and Kostner decided to go to Worlds after the Olympics Wagner could be a 3-time US champion and still not medal yet again which says everything you need to know.

You needn't look too far. It's Alissa Czisny.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You needn't look too far. It's Alissa Czisny.

Alissa never won back to back titles. Wagner has been the established US number 1 for over almost 3 years now while Alissa could be great one year then terrible the next. Big difference. Wagner has the respect of the judges for her consistency but still hasn't broken through.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I would be surprised if Wagner does not win. She's had the best season, has the most maturity, and has been determined. I'd expect a nice PCS cushion. Anything could happen, but I don't think GG will close the gap.

I would also be surprised. She admitted that the pressure of defending affected her performance last year. While she has the same target on her back this year, I think she is more confident in her position as the top American now.

Amei

Record Breaker
I would also be surprised. She admitted that the pressure of defending affected her performance last year. While she has the same target on her back this year, I think she is more confident in her position as the top American now.

Except this year she will also have the stress of being the U.S.'s best shot a medal in the ladies.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Except this year she will also have the stress of being the U.S.'s best shot a medal in the ladies.

and Gracie will have less pressure as not the defending champion
I highly doubt Wagner can make a three peat, it would make her the most consecutive since Kwan
which will be sad Wagner hasn't shown to have medaled at Worlds

Gracie if she wins will be heading to Sochi as the No.1 US lady
Wagner is overestimated and isn't that much reliable

noskates

Record Breaker
"Finally"?

It's her second year of senior eligibility.

Yeah, what has taken her so long?

ETA: Sarcasm aside, I think it's possible Gracie will win, but Ashley is still the odds on favorite, imo, and for good reason.

Good luck to both of them.

Hah! Hah! that is precisely what I was going to say.