Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

Robeye

Final Flight
It's a process. She's actually nearly as fast as she was but MUCH less frantic looking (she in no way looks slow). Also, reigning in the EFFORT going into those jumps is what he's trying to do. It will keep her on her rotational axis better AND will save energy for later in the program which if she is rotating on the correct axis (instead of too far forward/back/right side), she can land ANY jump (see Michelle Kwan during the FrankC years) and will enable her to skate more clean programs consistently (because she hasn't used up all her effort early in the program).
I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of the past few months. :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
So am I - haven't really seen her since she left, but my coach has been saying for two seasons that Frank would be a good fit for her if things didn't work out with her Chicago situation and so the proof will be in the pudding so to speak, later this week. :)

ForeverFish

Medalist
I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of the past few months. :)

As am I. Now I think that Dave Lease of TSL had a valid point when he said that it wouldn't be bad for Gracie to miss the GPF -- it's much better that she stayed home and worked on her new SP instead.

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I'm curious to see how working with established elite skaters has affected her. I'm hoping it gave her even more motivation. I really like Frank's calm approach :)

Chris_E

On the Ice
It would great to see a repeat of Russian Nationals with Sotnikova vs Lipnitskaia for Wagner vs Gold here. They are similar to those in that we already know they are making the Olympics. However it seems everyone is stepping it up at Nationals. Kim certainly did even with nobody to remotedly push her, Suzuki and Murakami, the Russians. A really hard battle like the Sotnikova vs Lipnitskaia one where both skate virtually perfect and clean like Sot. and Lip. and it comes down to barely a point or two (as it probably would) would be just what they need to get competitive ready for the Games. They may need that kind of thing to be ready to really fight for a medal at the Games, as the women look to all be getting very tough and building momentum.

Very well said. I certainly hope all the ladies rise to the occasion and really skate well. I'll be there in person and I'm hoping for a great competition.

Jedi

On the Ice
Gracie certainly can give Wagner and the rest a run for the National title but this question or title of this thread is INAPPROPRIATE LOL. I mean the poor girl is still a teenager and this is like only her second or third chance at a senior national title. She is no Susan Lucci - yet - and skating being skating let's hope it doesn't take over 20 years for her to win because I doubt she will make it 20 years. :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I hope Gold and Wagner skate well enough to be selected for the Olympics and Worlds. Internationally who wins or is the second or third is of no importance, in my opinion.

Icey

Record Breaker
Um, just like Akiko was in all those promos leading up to Japan Nats? ;)

Mao is much more overwhelming than Ashley is, so no surprise she dominated the promos. Actually, what I said was tongue-in- cheek. I meant to follow it with a wink.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie will win nationals. That is why she is in so many of the recent Sochi promos and Ashely isn't.

Really? I thought it was because she was a cute young blond who would appeal to teenage viewers.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Really? I thought it was because she was a cute young blond who would appeal to teenage viewers.

:clap: Simply put, I think at least part of why she is featured in all the promos is that she is an all-american looking girl, if the all-american looking girl was also drop dead gorgeous. The fact that she is also likely to make the team is of course necessary, but her being number 1 at nationals is not. It would likely have been her in the promos even if she was likely to come in 3rd, not 2nd.

Maybe this is my cynicism showing though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And for anyone thinking that huge promotions/sponsorship means an in to the Olympics only needs to remember that Rockne Brubaker and Keeana McLaughlin had a sponsorship with Coke and were all over the promos and ended up 5th.

desertskates

Medalist
Thanks for posting the interview, very nice. I've seen a lot being made of her looks, but Ashley is a very pretty girl as well. I think it doesn't have a lot to do with who is in which promo. I just wish them both the best of luck this week and hope they stay healthy through Sochi and Worlds!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Thanks for posting the interview, very nice. I've seen a lot being made of her looks, but Ashley is a very pretty girl as well. I think it doesn't have a lot to do with who is in which promo. I just wish them both the best of luck this week and hope they stay healthy through Sochi and Worlds!

I think the promotion of Gracie has to do more with the fact that she has more "upside" at this point, being years younger than Ashley. Barring injury, I think you'll see Gracie atop a lot more podiums than Ashley over the next 4 years.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie is a good skater, has a longer future probably in skating andd let's face it aesthetically very gifted besides being a good skater :)

Krislite

Medalist
Gracie will take inspiration from Suzuki and finally have the skate of her life at Nationals. She will be clean and score big, north of 200 points (US Nationals inflation of course).

Disclaimer: I do not own a crystal ball. This is just a wild guess.

Alright, Gracie. Skate clean in the LP and make me look like a credible fortune teller. ;)