Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

Kirk

Rinkside
That new sp of Gracie's was a cheap rushed replica of Mao's Nocturne. Look at the transitions and choreo in between elements.

kalle

On the Ice
That new sp of Gracie's was a cheap rushed replica of Mao's Nocturne. Look at the transitions and choreo in between elements.

How funny, Mao's SP came to my mind as well! I still liked it a lot and thought she looked like a different skater out there, very sophisticated :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right now for Gracie it's one step at a time and first she needs to finally skate a good LP while holding a lead. I don't want to see her overwhelmed like she has been in the past. This is her moment she needs to take it because something tells me the girls behind her are going to skate great. Ashley is always dangerous in the LP especially when she's behind and Polina has no real pressure but is confident that she can make the team. As we've seen in the past with Oksana and Tara beware a confident 15 year old who can jump and doesn't get rattled in the big moments.

thinspread

On the Ice
I enjoyed her SP more than her previous one. Especially the first half of the program. She's improved much over the course of the season. If she stay on that track and keep polishing her programs for the remaining month before Sochi, I think she can finish on the Olympic podium. I love the determination written over her mean, lean body.

It looks like the young American ladies will hold their ground just fine against the Russian wonder kids. I think they have superior scale, technique for the jumps. With more polishing, they can compete with anybody for the top.

I'm curious about how tall Gold and Edmunds are now. They look taller than their listed height at 5'4+" in the ISU profile.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember first seeing Polina as a very skinny 12 year old skating as a Junior back in 2011. I wondered how she was skating at that level at that age since she was at least 3 years younger then most of the competitors. But she more then held her own even though she only finished 7th and she's kept improving every year.

thinspread

On the Ice
I remember first seeing Polina as a very skinny 12 year old skating as a Junior back in 2011. I wondered how she was skating at that level at that age since she was at least 3 years younger then most of the competitors. But she more then held her own even though she only finished 7th and she's kept improving every year.

Yes, I thought she's a special talent, since I first saw her in a video earlier this season.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Gold´s skate was good but not anything to get on the OG podium with. Not enough polish, snap, or connection with the music. Maybe it will improve over the next month.

Sorry the year has not turned out that great for Gao. Such a naturally graceful skater. Just didn´t have enough natural ability? Again, can´t skate and carry courseload at big-deal school? Moving to Mark Mitchell didn´t add much? Technically, she semed to come down a little.

RABID

Final Flight
Yes, I thought she's a special talent, since I first saw her in a video earlier this season.

I have had my eye on her for a little while now but I have to say I look at her and I still see, junior. Those long limbs of hers should be assets not distractions, as I see it now.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
It was nice to see Gracie deliver her SP so well. I think the program is pretty and Gracie did a better job delivering it than I thought she would, but I still think her "artistry" is on the surface. She's doing the moves and delivering them nicely, but there's no underlying understanding or connection with what she's doing. She's still regurgitating choreography but the upside is she looks much better doing it than she did last year.

Her biggest test is going to be the FS. She's under a lot of pressure just by being in the lead and then having to skate last on top of that. Depending on how the other ladies skate, that will add even more pressure to her. If she can keep calm and just skate, she'll be fine...but if she wants to be #1 she needs to go out there and win. Ashley has been known to skate lights out when she's coming from behind.

I hope Gracie doesn't pull a Sasha and shoot herself in the foot by giving this away. :slink: The title is hers to lose...

RABID

Final Flight
It was nice to see Gracie deliver her SP so well. I think the program is pretty and Gracie did a better job delivering it than I thought she would, but I still think her "artistry" is on the surface. She's doing the moves and delivering them nicely, but there's no underlying understanding or connection with what she's doing. She's still regurgitating choreography but the upside is she looks much better doing it than she did last year.

Her biggest test is going to be the FS. She's under a lot of pressure just by being in the lead and then having to skate last on top of that. Depending on how the other ladies skate, that will add even more pressure to her. If she can keep calm and just skate, she'll be fine...but if she wants to be #1 she needs to go out there and win. Ashley has been known to skate lights out when she's coming from behind.

I hope Gracie doesn't pull a Sasha and shoot herself in the foot by giving this away. :slink: The title is hers to lose...

Fake it till you make it, as the saying goes; got to start somewhere. Most impressive skate I've seen from her. I am finally starting to see her qualities without the distractions of her skating. ;)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well Gracie is 0-4 when having a lead since turning Senior. Of course being on the west coast the Ladies LP will be tape delayed so i will probably tape it and stay away from the computer. Having the nerve the watch it is another question. :eek:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Fake it till you make it, as the saying goes; got to start somewhere. Most impressive skate I've seen from her. I am finally starting to see her qualities without the distractions of her skating. ;)

ITA. Like I said, I don't really believe what she's doing but she looks much better doing it. When you pair that with her landing her jumps, that's all she really needs right now. I did enjoy her for the first time last night...even her stiff arms didn't bother me as much. I think Gracie might be growing on me...

Well Gracie is 0-4 when having a lead since turning Senior. Of course being on the west coast the Ladies LP will be tape delayed so i will probably tape it and stay away from the computer. Having the nerve the watch it is another question. :eek:

Funny enough, the only person I was actually nervous for was Ashley...and I guess with good reason. I didn't get my hopes up for Mirai but thankfully she delivered and that was a pleasant surprise. I didn't expect Gracie to skate as well as she did and that was a pleasant surprise. I would have liked to see Angela finally have a good SP but I guess that was asking for too much. Either way, when she messed up her combo it's not like I was surprised...:disapp:

minze

Medalist
How funny, Mao's SP came to my mind as well! I still liked it a lot and thought she looked like a different skater out there, very sophisticated :)

I noticed the similarities to Mao's nocturne also. Lori running out ideas? Gracie looks like an ice princes, the make was pretty, hair, and dress. I like this SP more than the first one, but her delivery does not convince me. However, I think if she lands her jumps she will be a force to be reckon with.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I hope Gracie doesn't pull a Sasha and shoot herself in the foot by giving this away. The title is hers to lose...

Falling to 2nd, while a disappointment, wouldn't be the end of the world. However, pulling a Nagasu and slipping out of the top 5 might qualify as one of the most dramatic skating collapses I've ever seen...

Krislite

Medalist
Gracie will take inspiration from Suzuki and finally have the skate of her life at Nationals. She will be clean and score big, north of 200 points (US Nationals inflation of course).

Disclaimer: I do not own a crystal ball. This is just a wild guess.

Thank the skating gods I got 95% of my prediction right. :cool: