Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

Wagner has been more of a darling for the USFS than Gold at least in terms of delivering much better results than Gracie in the past two seasons. To suggest that a clean skater getting a higher score than a skater with an error (using just a single SP as a sample size) is a clear indication of a federation throwing their support behind the former is delusional.
    where have you been ?

Gracie has been propped since the past seasons
    now that she has delivered, USFS can finally proclaim her a US No.1
    they have been waiting in the wings for Gracie

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Again, Mao is still a favorite for a medal, and a gold medal contender. Mao is multiple WC. Still Japan #1.
    Wagner doesn't have that luxury. Are you confusing Wagner with Mao? Look them up, completely different league.

JAL airline put Maoster on their Boeing 777-300ER livery. Imagine Delta put Wagner on their livery. Yeah, I don't think so.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bVbxuPp3E
    That's my point. It's ludicrous to say that because of the Nationals loss, you can definitively say Mao & Lipnitskaia & Wagner (if she loses) have clearly been replaced by the victor as the Sochi favourite (especially when they've had a significantly stronger season than those who happen to defeat them Suzuki+Murakami & Sotnikova & Gold-tentatively speaking). Even more ludicrous to do so before the competition is even over, as sky_fly seems to think it is (especially considering Gold's FS problems this year). I'm pretty sure many people believe Takahashi is more of a Sochi medal favourite than Machida, because he's a former WC and reigning Olympic bronze medalist, even though logically speaking Machida is a better medal bet at this point.

This is all ridiculous banter anyways as Gold hasn't even won. If Wagner happened to win overall, I'm sure sky_fly would grasp at straws and say "Oh, but what about Gold's SP lead?"

Anyways, it's a win-win situation for all of us -- if Gold wins, then we can revel in her winning her first US title... if Wagner wins, we can revel in sky_fly going nuts again like after Russian nationals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    where have you been ?

Gracie has been propped since the past seasons
    now that she has delivered, USFS can finally proclaim her a US No.1
    they have been waiting in the wings for Gracie
    I don't see what she did tonight (a clean SP) much different that what she already "delivered" at Skate Canada, if you recall, and we all know how her season went after that.

She can finally be proclaimed a US No. 1 if she wins on Saturday. Until then, she is simply the leader after the Nationals short program.

Hmm. As much as I want Gracie to do well, I think I've changed my mind about her SP. When I first saw the fan cam of it for the American Legends event, I thought it was a wonderful program for her. Now, I don't think I was right.

All this program does is force her to be "artistic"--not the kind that necessarily invokes strong feelings in someone, but rather what the judges can cushion PCS with. Sure she smiles more, but her movements are artificial fluff that serve no purpose other than to convince judges that she's become Lu Chen or something.

Make no mistake though, I still like this better than her first SP.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    Hmm. As much as I want Gracie to do well, I think I've changed my mind about her SP. When I first saw the fan cam of it for the American Legends event, I thought it was a wonderful program for her. Now, I don't think I was right.

All this program does is force her to be "artistic"--not the kind that necessarily invokes strong feelings in someone, but rather what the judges can cushion PCS with. Sure she smiles more, but her movements are artificial fluff that serve no purpose other than to convince judges that she's become Lu Chen or something.

Make no mistake though, I still like this better than her first SP.
    I'm personally not blown away by either of Wagner or Gold's SPs. Gold's SP is certainly less awkward looking than her previous SP this season. But, oh my, Gold's lutz... it's the best lutz we've seen from a US woman since Tonya Harding... it's absolutely massive!

That new sp of Gracie's was a cheap rushed replica of Mao's Nocturne. Look at the transitions and choreo in between elements.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    That new sp of Gracie's was a cheap rushed replica of Mao's Nocturne. Look at the transitions and choreo in between elements.
    How funny, Mao's SP came to my mind as well! I still liked it a lot and thought she looked like a different skater out there, very sophisticated

Custom Title
    Anyone seen these? (Good vid interviews)

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...n-sochi-010814

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...program-010914

The Carroll factor this year can boost her credit considerably leading to Sochi

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Anyone seen these? (Good vid interviews)

http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/stor...n-sochi-010814

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/st...program-010914

The Carroll factor this year can boost her credit considerably leading to Sochi
    Right now for Gracie it's one step at a time and first she needs to finally skate a good LP while holding a lead. I don't want to see her overwhelmed like she has been in the past. This is her moment she needs to take it because something tells me the girls behind her are going to skate great. Ashley is always dangerous in the LP especially when she's behind and Polina has no real pressure but is confident that she can make the team. As we've seen in the past with Oksana and Tara beware a confident 15 year old who can jump and doesn't get rattled in the big moments.

Custom Title
    I enjoyed her SP more than her previous one. Especially the first half of the program. She's improved much over the course of the season. If she stay on that track and keep polishing her programs for the remaining month before Sochi, I think she can finish on the Olympic podium. I love the determination written over her mean, lean body.

It looks like the young American ladies will hold their ground just fine against the Russian wonder kids. I think they have superior scale, technique for the jumps. With more polishing, they can compete with anybody for the top.

I'm curious about how tall Gold and Edmunds are now. They look taller than their listed height at 5'4+" in the ISU profile.

Custom Title
    I remember first seeing Polina as a very skinny 12 year old skating as a Junior back in 2011. I wondered how she was skating at that level at that age since she was at least 3 years younger then most of the competitors. But she more then held her own even though she only finished 7th and she's kept improving every year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I remember first seeing Polina as a very skinny 12 year old skating as a Junior back in 2011. I wondered how she was skating at that level at that age since she was at least 3 years younger then most of the competitors. But she more then held her own even though she only finished 7th and she's kept improving every year.
    Yes, I thought she's a special talent, since I first saw her in a video earlier this season.

Tripping on the Podium
    Gold´s skate was good but not anything to get on the OG podium with. Not enough polish, snap, or connection with the music. Maybe it will improve over the next month.

Sorry the year has not turned out that great for Gao. Such a naturally graceful skater. Just didn´t have enough natural ability? Again, can´t skate and carry courseload at big-deal school? Moving to Mark Mitchell didn´t add much? Technically, she semed to come down a little.

I would just like to add one little comment here: Mirai! Mirai! Mirai!

Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    Yes, I thought she's a special talent, since I first saw her in a video earlier this season.
    I have had my eye on her for a little while now but I have to say I look at her and I still see, junior. Those long limbs of hers should be assets not distractions, as I see it now.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast