Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

wootie

Match Penalty
and Gracie will have less pressure as not the defending champion
I highly doubt Wagner can make a three peat, it would make her the most consecutive since Kwan
which will be sad Wagner hasn't shown to have medaled at Worlds

Gracie if she wins will be heading to Sochi as the No.1 US lady
Wagner is overestimated and isn't that much reliable

Well, Wagner is definitely the best of what we've got here in the States. I wish our ladies field was as deep as, say, Russia or Japan, but it's not. So Ms. Wagner is the best of what we have to offer. Gracie Gold is pretty and is probably a more inherently talented skater than Ashley (edges and flow across the ice are just better than Ashley)...however, she lacks character so far and her programs have ranged from boring to plain bad. Hopefully she'll become a more natural performer someday and stop with the fake, uninspired arm movements.

ghislaine

Rinkside
I hope not. Wagner's PCS should be higher, she should be going in to the Olympics as #1 Us lady because she has the better programs (yes, I will defend Wagner's so-so Romeo and Juliet over Gold's two nonsensical, jarring programs - at least Wagner's long brushes up against being more to her style). Gold may have more potential but right now she is not as fun to watch, doesn't have the range of wild emotions Wagner has, doesn't have the tiger eye, simply isn't as interesting. And for all this talk of Ashley being able to fold under pressure, she did well at GPF even if it wasn't her best. Gold lost a three-point lead in the short at Skate Canada to end up 13 points behind the winner and was thirty points back from the winner at NHK, I'd expect her to have issues with nerves way before Ashley.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Watching Li Zijun skate to Sleeping Beauty again makes it painfully obvious just how boring and uninspired Gold's LP is this year. :unsure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSt1SgO0MIM
So yeah, Wagner also has a comparatively boring and uninspired LP, but she's still far ahead in PCS.
Wagner could easily fix that problem by taking back her Black Swan LP - nobody would be disappointed about that. I don't think Gold has such an easy way out - though her La Vita e Bella LP at least had a pleasant music.

cinnamon

On the Ice
If Gracie could deliver it like she did last year in her LP. But Ashley is way more confident and determined. And the girl (Gracie) is not calm, she can get pressure just by being ambitious. This depends on how Frank can work on her mind set.

flying camel

Medalist
I think with Gracie's new SP she will win the SP at nationals. We all know that Wagner is never at her best at nationals. She always looks tired. But I think she can maker fewer mistakes then Gracie to stay on top.

But I hope Lori has made some changes to Gracie's LP so that it does not look so juniorist.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I'd also like to point to the fact that this is only Gracie's second appearance at nationals.:rolleye: All of this rushing to get her to the top is why she's been such a mess this season...

Gracie can win if she can put together two strong programs, which is something she hasn't done all year long. She's had one excellent SP; everything else has ranged from so-so to weak. Her jumps, which are her main selling point, have been off this year and that's worrisome. She'll be debuting a new SP at the most stressful event she's ever participated in. We all know Gracie does not skate well under pressure...

If Gracie can get through the SP cleanly then I think she'll have a good shot at gold...but then the question becomes can she handle skating last and with the lead? If both skate cleanly, the nod should go to Ashley. She's upped her technical content which was the main area she was lacking last year and she's clearly the most complete skater the US has. Her SP is a standout b/c it's very unique this year; R&J isn't up to the standard of her last two programs BUT it's still a good program and definitely much better than Gracie's FS. It's also worth noting that Ashley's worst score the season (187.61 at GPF) is still better than Gracie's best of the season (186.65 at SC).

Ashley is the best bet b/c of how well she's done all season long and for the fact that unlike last season where she maxed out her potential by her second GP event, Ashley hasn't peaked this year. I'm sure Gracie will make the team but I have no freakin' idea how she'll skate. She's been very underwhelming this season both from a technical and performance standpoint. That's not to say she won't have a miraculous turnaround and suddenly skate wonderfully...I'm just reluctant to bet on her for anything right now.

Selene

On the Ice
Ashley will repeat as the US Champion for two reasons: 1) Her jumps are pretty consistent and 2) She has maintained her positioning as the #1 US Lady internationally. Gracie had her chance to challenge Ashley as the #1 US Lady this season, but she blew it by bombing on the international circuit. She was terrible at the US International Classic and on the Grand Prix circuit (one good short program excluded.)

I do not understand the hype over Gracie. This is a skater who has NEVER won a senior-level competition, not even a low-level summer competition like Skate Detroit. Her biggest accomplishment is finishing a mediocre sixth at Worlds. And, for all the hype over her jumps, she cannot land them in competition.

So, no, I don’t think she will win Nationals, or any event, because she has ZERO jump consistency. The judges don’t care about her bad programs. She’d receive fabulous scores if she was able to land her jumps. But, outside of one junior season, she’s never been able to land her jumps when it counts.

In fact, I am thinking that Gracie will deliver one of her terrible three-triple long programs, and be held up by the National judges. She's done nothing to deserve making the Olympic team over another skater who delivers a better performance at Nationals. Her results are terrible. But she has the IMG hype machine behind her, and that has gotten her endorsement deals and will probably get her onto the Olympic team, even if she doesn't deserve the spot.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Ashley will repeat as the US Champion for two reasons: 1) Her jumps are pretty consistent and 2) She has maintained her positioning as the #1 US Lady internationally. Gracie had her chance to challenge Ashley as the #1 US Lady this season, but she blew it by bombing on the international circuit. She was terrible at the US International Classic and on the Grand Prix circuit (one good short program excluded.)

I do not understand the hype over Gracie. This is a skater who has NEVER won a senior-level competition, not even a low-level summer competition like Skate Detroit. Her biggest accomplishment is finishing a mediocre sixth at Worlds. And, for all the hype over her jumps, she cannot land them in competition.

So, no, I don’t think she will win Nationals, or any event, because she has ZERO jump consistency. The judges don’t care about her bad programs. She’d receive fabulous scores if she was able to land her jumps. But, outside of one junior season, she’s never been able to land her jumps when it counts.

In fact, I am thinking that Gracie will deliver one of her terrible three-triple long programs, and be held up by the National judges. She's done nothing to deserve making the Olympic team over another skater who delivers a better performance at Nationals. Her results are terrible. But she has the IMG hype machine behind her, and that has gotten her endorsement deals and will probably get her onto the Olympic team, even if she doesn't deserve the spot.

Everything you have stated is overly exaggerated. First off, since when is a bronze medal at Skate Canada and a 4th place finish at NHK considered "bombing on the Grand Prix circuit"
as you have stated? Second, since when is finishing 6th at your first senior Worlds considered "mediocre"? Third, you say that outside of her junior Nationals title that she's never managed to skate well when it counted... Does last year at Nationals ring a bell? Gracie skated lights out and won the long. She pulled herself all the way up to 2nd place from 9th place after the short. You might wanna just do a quick Google search before you state incorrect information. It's clear that you don't like Gracie, but there's no need to downplay her accomplishments. Although in all likelihood I do believe Wagner will defend her title again at Nationals, I do think you should respect Gracie on her efforts.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Possible? Yes. Likely? No. Gracie has not proven herself to be a consistent competitor. And with the coaching and program changes, she is basically starting all over again this season. Her goal should be to make the team. Her future is very bright but there is no need to rush it. After Sochi, the field will be pretty wide open at the international level. Then, with the spotlight off, she can make winning Nationals and making the World podium her goal.

Frenchie

Medalist
she blew it by bombing on the international circuit. She was terrible at the US International Classic and on the Grand Prix circuit (...)
This is a skater who has NEVER won a senior-level competition, not even a low-level summer competition like Skate Detroit. Her biggest accomplishment is finishing a mediocre sixth at Worlds. And, for all the hype over her jumps, she cannot land them in competition.

Gosh, did she steal your lunchbox in Kindergarten or something? :confused:

kwanatic

Record Breaker
^^:laugh:To be honest everything Selene said was true to a certain extent. I guess she just could've said it a little nicer :)

After all the hype that preceded Gracie entering the senior level, I think most people were expecting her to do what Julia has done these last two seasons. Julia medaled at both of her events last season and made the Final; she had to withdraw but she still qualified. This year she won gold at both of her events and came in second at the Final. She has a very good shot at making it to the podium in Sochi and her name is always in the mix when you're talking about the top ladies in the sport now. Based on all of the hype and excitement about Gracie, I expected her to be in the same position as Julia heading into Sochi.

To say this is only Gracie's second-year on the GP, she's actually done pretty well: 7th, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. To be honest that's a great record for a second year senior. The problem is it falls tragically short of the expectations most people had for her. Gracie was touted as the strongest US lady, the savior, the one who would put the US ladies on the map. It has not turned out that way. I do think it's very unfair (and stupid) that people put that kind of pressure on her before she even debuted at the senior level, but the point is it happened. So next to those lofty expectations, what she's accomplished so far is actually a bit of a disappointment because people were expecting her to be a lot more successful than she is.

I do think Gracie's time is yet to come. She is still learning who she is as a skater, she's still learning to compete and she's going to need time. She has the talent, that's for sure. She just needs time.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, Kwan was quoted as saying she thinks Frank will get Gracie where she wants to go, which is the top. I hope Ashley wins by a lot this year so she feels great going to Sochi. And I hope Grace and Samantha skate great and round out the team.

kwanatic

Record Breaker
I'm interested to see if Mirai has made any progress working with Mura for the last couple of weeks. She rotated all of her triples at COR; if she does that at nationals, and can manage to show a few signs of life in her performance, I can't see them keeping her off the team. But if Mirai and Agnes do what they've been doing for most of the season (flub) and Samantha manages to skate cleanly, I really hope they give it to her because she's been pretty steady all season long...plus I just love her programs!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's look at ASHLEY's accomplishments in her first two years as a senior.

Grand Prix:
2007-2008: 5th, 3rd
2008-2009: 4th, 4th

Ashley didn't win her first GP event until 2012.

JW 2007: 3rd
Worlds 2008: 16th
JW 2009: 3rd

Compare this to Gracie's record:

Grand Prix
2012-2013: 7th, 2nd
2013-2014: 3rd, 4th

JW 2012: 2nd
Worlds 2013: 6th

IMO, Gracie's end-of-season record in her first two seasons looks a lot better than Ashley's, and her GP record is quite similar. So I don't get why Gracie is being dumped on.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I'm interested to see if Mirai has made any progress working with Mura for the last couple of weeks. She rotated all of her triples at COR; if she does that at nationals, and can manage to show a few signs of life in her performance, I can't see them keeping her off the team. But if Mirai and Agnes do what they've been doing for most of the season (flub) and Samantha manages to skate cleanly, I really hope they give it to her because she's been pretty steady all season long...plus I just love her programs!

I agree. I have been curious about Mirai's progress training in Japan. She posted pics from Japanese Nationals. I am hoping that the level of competition inspired her. I am really excited to watch how she does at Nationals.

Frenchie

Medalist
But if Mirai and Agnes do what they've been doing for most of the season (flub) and Samantha manages to skate cleanly, I really hope they give it to her
Don't forget about Christina Gao! :p She's had a rough patch with consistency this year, but I could totally picture her staying clean and getting on that podium. She finished 5th at the last 4 US Champs in a row! When she's clean, she's a delight to watch and I'm crossing my fingers for her. Especially with her SP to "Close without touching", she reminds me a lot of Chen Lu or Michelle Kwan (... or Karen Kwan, who skated to that same music!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHY1LTXzWZs

kwanatic

Record Breaker
Based on the last 2 Nationals I expect Agnes to be placed into 3rd and thus on the team if she executes a clean short and atleast 4 clean triples in the long, regardless what Mira or Samantha (or any other prospective contender) does.

If Mirai or Samantha manage to perform better than Agnes she should not be on the team. She's had way too much time to get herself together over the last three years and at this point, she hasn't done anything to earn a trip to Sochi or deserve the judges' favor over anyone else, especially somebody who has out-skated her all season. I'll be really really pissed if they hold her up and put her on the team this year. The only way she should make it on that team is if she actually earns her way on the team. I don't know how much longer the USFSA thinks they can hold onto Agnes, but at this point there are too many talented skaters who have the ability to skate better.

Agnes' time is up. Deliver or get the hell out of the way...

skateluvr

Record Breaker
IA kwanatic... Cesario is a great performer. But does she have enough tech arsenal do you think?