Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 168

Thread: Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

  1. #76
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    7,969
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Pls Gracie has medaled in 3 out her 4 GP events
    her 3rd place finish score at 2013 SC would have been enough for her to medal in NHK or win at CoR even with mistakes and her score
    she came in 6th in her Worlds debut, No doubt she will be in the podium in the coming years

    I suspect Wagner will bring into the pressure and make a lot of mistakes
    Gracie will have less to worry about Nationals unlike Wagner whose steam has been losing since the GPF
    No, she's 50/50 on events. Medaled at one, OTP at the other last two seasons.

  2. #77
    Ya'll just need to ignore it. aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,301
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Gracie will have less to worry about Nationals unlike Wagner whose steam has been losing since the GPF
    I wasn't aware that there were any other competitions she competed in after the GPF but before Nationals that would lead you to believe this.

  3. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I wasn't aware that there were any other competitions she competed in after the GPF but before Nationals that would lead you to believe this.
    she wouldnt even have made the podium at the GPF had Elena not fallen in the FS
    and most certainly thanks to Sotnikova headcasing in the FS

    this is typical Wagner losing steam at the middle of the season
    it will be wise for the USFS to support and propp Gracie as the No.1 lady for Sochi
    if Gracie will go clean she must have higher PCS than Wagner at Nationals

  4. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    No, she's 50/50 on events. Medaled at one, OTP at the other last two seasons.
    yes you're right I mistyped
    also I meant CoC her scores would have won her the event not CoR

  5. #80
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I'm going to take a moment and break my usual policy of not commenting on the boards. /end disclaimer.

    It's definitely OK to voice criticisms of Gracie or any other skater. However, you have been quite extreme in your critical posts and, quite frankly, been a broken record. It seems that no matter what she does she is "terrible" or "mediocre" to you.

    I have been more prone to not take your posts seriously because it's "same crap, different day." And that's at best. At worst, you come off as a bitter hater.

    Back to your post at hand. I don't agree with your point that she's underperforming to her full potential means "she's unlikely going to magically develop the sort of jump consistency necessary to be a champion." Based on your career assessment, that Jason Brown is doomed in his career because he took 3.5 years to learn the 3A and continues to work away at making two 3As consistent in his FS. Or that Ashely Wagner shouldn't have bothered to compete after 2011 due to her tendency to bomb the SP, which lasted for several years. And Ashley won U.S. Nationals (and 4CC) with a lovely 7-triple FS in 2012, on her fifth try. So yeah...these expectations that people should click immediately is .

    Also comparing her to Agnes Zawadzki isn't even accurate. She isn't Agnes because 1.) She had made the World team on her first try (which Agnes didn't do) 2.) She got a a GP medal in her first season (Agnes took three seasons to do so) and 3.) Her PB is 22 points higher. FWIW, her PB is the 18th highest among all women since the new scoring system was implemented.


    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she wouldnt even have made the podium at the GPF had Elena not fallen in the FS
    and most certainly thanks to Sotnikova headcasing in the FS
    It's no longer only being a headcase, now one - well, Sotnikova for you - does headcase.
    Headcase is now a verb, and an action. Like I make a sandwich, it's also I headcase.
    It's so confusing, yet enriching for my level of English

  6. #81
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    982
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    It's no longer only being a headcase, now one - well, Sotnikova for you - does headcase.
    Headcase is now a verb, and an action. Like I make a sandwich, it's also I headcase.
    It's so confusing, yet enriching for my level of English
    English is an evolving language and yes, we do verb nouns.

  7. #82
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    English is an evolving language and yes, we do verb nouns.
    I know, I'm just amazed at the success story of the word headcase and its biggest lobbyist

  8. #83
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Gracie will take inspiration from Suzuki and finally have the skate of her life at Nationals. She will be clean and score big, north of 200 points (US Nationals inflation of course).

    Disclaimer: I do not own a crystal ball. This is just a wild guess.

  9. #84
    Custom Title macy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    Pls Gracie has medaled in 2 out her 4 GP events
    her 3rd place finish score at 2013 SC would have been enough for her to medal in NHK or win at CoC even with mistakes and her score
    she came in 6th in her Worlds debut, No doubt she will be in the podium in the coming years

    I suspect Wagner will bring into the pressure and make a lot of mistakes
    Gracie will have less to worry about Nationals unlike Wagner whose steam has been losing since the GPF
    gracie is basically a headcase right now, and will be an even bigger headcase at the olys if she goes in as US champion. ashley will still be a bigger threat for a medal because she is a better overall skater and has better packaging, but her reputation will probably have gone down some amount because after two years of being US champion she is now going in the silver medalist, and she doesn't have all that momentum built up anymore. but really...this situation is not ideal for the US.

  10. #85
    Custom Title Sochi_2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    I admit that calling Gracie’s results “terrible” was an overstatement. But her results have been very mediocre. She has yet to deliver two clean programs in one senior competition or show any sort of consistency in her performances.
    Even Yuna Kim has said herself that she has only ever skated in two competitions where she has had a clean short and long program. 2010 Olympics & 2013 Worlds. So let's not nitpick Gracie about not doing so.

  11. #86
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,811
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    yes you're right I mistyped
    also I meant CoC her scores would have won her the event not CoR
    Actually, you're wrong... only Gold's Skate Canada score would have won her CoC... her NHK score would have still placed her 2nd at CoC.

    Either of Wagner's GP scores, however, would have EASILY beaten the field at CoC.

    And frankly, if you're going to promote how good or how much of a threat Gold is, your argument probably shouldn't be: "Gold totally could have won the CoC event where the field was mediocre! It was just her bad luck that she had to skate at more competitive events."

  12. #87
    Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,383
    I feel like saying "Just shut up already!!" would be seen as a personal attack, so I'm going to calmly counter your always pleasant comments with some level headed responses.

    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    she wouldnt even have made the podium at the GPF had Elena not fallen in the FS
    and most certainly thanks to Sotnikova headcasing in the FS
    This argument is never a valid excuse, no matter how much we want it to be. I myself have attempted to use it on a few occasions but it always comes back to the same thing: what could have happened vs what actually happened. A million things could have happened but none of that matters in the end. What happened happened and Ashley placed 3rd. Maybe in a parallel universe Elena didn't fall and Adelina skated better...but in this world (which, judging by a lot of your comments, I'm not too sure you live in) they did have issues and Ashley placed ahead of them.

    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    this is typical Wagner losing steam at the middle of the season
    it will be wise for the USFS to support and propp Gracie as the No.1 lady for Sochi
    if Gracie will go clean she must have higher PCS than Wagner at Nationals
    I don't see how one bad FS equals losing steam. She had an off night. After two strong skates at her other events she was due for a not so great one. Now had she had a weak FS at TEB and followed it up with a weak SP and weaker FS at the Final (a la Gracie in her GP events) then that would be losing steam.

    The USFSA has no reason to prop Gracie as #1 b/c she hasn't done anything to deserve that position over Ashley. You keep wanting to crown Gracie as #1 yet you don't seem to understand that in order to be #1, you have to unseat the champion. Earn it. Gracie had a decent season on the GP (bronze, 4th); Ashley had a better season (all podium finishes). Gracie had very good scores (highest total: 186.65 @ SC); Ashley had even better scores (highest total: 194.37 @ TEB, 3rd highest of the entire season for the ladies). These are facts...

    I doubt a clean Gracie will top a clean Ashley in PCS, but they will be close. A clean Gracie will top a clean Ashley in TES which means if they both go clean, there's a good chance Gracie will win. A clean Gracie can beat a flawed Ashley in PCS, but a flawed Gracie will not beat a flawed Ashley in PCS.

  13. #88
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    Even Yuna Kim has said herself that she has only ever skated in two competitions where she has had a clean short and long program. 2010 Olympics & 2013 Worlds. So let's not nitpick Gracie about not doing so.
    Yuna got an edge call on the triple flip in her 2013 Worlds SP, so really, she's only skated two *completely* clean programs ONCE in her career. That said, Yuna's always been a very level-headed performer who doesn't let her mistakes snowball -- the most recent evidence being at the Golden Spin of Zagreb, where she fell on the 3-3 in the FS but proceeded to land all of her other triples (as well as sticking a -2T on the back of a planned solo 3Lz).

    I understand that Gracie has a long way to go in the managing-her-nerves department, but she's been a senior for less than two seasons, so I'm not sure why the fact that "she has yet to deliver two clean programs in one senior competition" is cause for such harsh criticism from Selene.

  14. #89
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,811
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    This argument is never a valid excuse, no matter how much we want it to be. I myself have attempted to use it on a few occasions but it always comes back to the same thing: what could have happened vs what actually happened. A million things could have happened but none of that matters in the end. What happened happened and Ashley placed 3rd. Maybe in a parallel universe Elena didn't fall and Adelina skated better...but in this world (which, judging by a lot of your comments, I'm not too sure you live in) they did have issues and Ashley placed ahead of them.
    That's indeed the stupidest argument ever. If Elena skated cleanly in her SP, and Ashley got 4th, how ridiculous would it be to say "Radionova wouldn't have even made the podium at the GPF has Wagner not fallen on her lutz in her FS". It's typical sky_fly playing with hypotheticals to prop up her favourites "If Gracie were at CoC, she would have made the GPF" and then bring down the skaters she hates "If Radionova skated better, Wagner would have lost to her".

    I swear, if Wagner loses US nationals with a fall in her FS and a clean Gracie places ahead of her, I'm totally using the excuse "The only reason Gold won was because she skated cleaner and Wagner fell."

  15. #90
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,811
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    The USFSA has no reason to prop Gracie as #1 b/c she hasn't done anything to deserve that position over Ashley. You keep wanting to crown Gracie as #1 yet you don't seem to understand that in order to be #1, you have to unseat the champion. Earn it. Gracie had a decent season on the GP (bronze, 4th); Ashley had a better season (all podium finishes). Gracie had very good scores (highest total: 186.65 @ SC); Ashley had even better scores (highest total: 194.37 @ TEB, 3rd highest of the entire season for the ladies). These are facts...
    You'd think this would be painfully obvious to anyone.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •