Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Can Gracie Gold finally win US Nationals ?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    If Gracie is actually to win Nationals (could happen, probably won't), Ashley must beat her in the SP -- otherwise, the pressure of skating last in the FS will mess with her head, and she'll have an epic meltdown in front of everyone. It's a pretty stressful position to be in, since you know how all of your competitors performed and are mentally tallying points, trying to see where you can or can't make a mistake.
    The good thing for Gracie is that she never changes her layout, so she never has to alter her programs to what others have done. I agree that skating last, with all the time to think about winning between the warm-up and the performance, could negatively impact Gracie more than some other women. I'm curious to see if her ability to handle the pressure has improved under Frank's tutelage.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    The good thing for Gracie is that she never changes her layout, so she never has to alter her programs to what others have done. I agree that skating last, with all the time to think about winning between the warm-up and the performance, could negatively impact Gracie more than some other women. I'm curious to see if her ability to handle the pressure has improved under Frank's tutelage.
    Coaches can only do so much for a skater's nerves as we saw with Frank when he coached Mirai. Mirai was still a headcase when the pressure was on. Some skaters like Alissa are just not good competitors while some like Yuna are.

Custom Title
    Gracie will win nationals. That is why she is in so many of the recent Sochi promos and Ashely isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    That word again...OT but really curious if you read the bestseller, "The Harbinger?"
    I read it, very interesting book

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Coaches can only do so much for a skater's nerves as we saw with Frank when he coached Mirai. Mirai was still a headcase when the pressure was on. Some skaters like Alissa are just not good competitors while some like Yuna are.
    This is an area where I REALLY think FrankC will help Gracie. My coach is a former FrankC pupil and focuses on the mental preparation of being competitive in addition to training on ice, technique, etc. FrankC is very calm and even keeled in his teaching style and at the boards before the skater takes the ice. One thing she needs is that calming influence. I noticed that before her SP at SC when she took the ice, she was smiling (genuinely) and looked relaxed. If FrankC can bore that relaxation into her repeatedly, she can gain that consistency because she won't be trying so hard (she doesn't have to and when she does are when things go south).

Miserere Nobis
    In Gracie's teleconference earlier today, she said that Frank's been calming her down by making her skating less frantic, so she's clearly aware of WHY her mistakes often pile upon each other. This also makes the issue easier to remedy; she just needs to learn how to take her time executing each element without losing the exuberance that makes her so exciting to watch (for me, at least). Frank truly is a godsend -- he exudes a very calm, cool-headed persona, and I can only hope that some of it has rubbed off on Gracie. When she allows herself to truly enjoy competing, like in the SP at 2013 SC, she's pretty remarkable.

Being around skaters like Denis Ten and Evan Lysacek must also have made an impression on her -- four years ago, it was Evan's work ethic, in part, that pushed Mirai to train harder and eventually place 4th at the Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Gracie will win nationals. That is why she is in so many of the recent Sochi promos and Ashely isn't.
    Um, just like Akiko was in all those promos leading up to Japan Nats?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFish View Post
    In Gracie's teleconference earlier today, she said that Frank's been calming her down by making her skating less frantic, so she's clearly aware of WHY her mistakes often pile upon each other. This also makes the issue easier to remedy; she just needs to learn how to take her time executing each element without losing the exuberance that makes her so exciting to watch (for me, at least). Frank truly is a godsend -- he exudes a very calm, cool-headed persona, and I can only hope that some of it has rubbed off on Gracie. When she allows herself to truly enjoy competing, like in the SP at 2013 SC, she's pretty remarkable.

Being around skaters like Denis Ten and Evan Lysacek must also have made an impression on her -- four years ago, it was Evan's work ethic, in part, that pushed Mirai to train harder and eventually place 4th at the Olympics.
    I'm just worried after watching Gracie this season that Frank has reined in her power and speed a bit to much. Her jumps looked rather average compared to what she's shown in the past. Her speed power and big jumps are why she gets the big scores that she does when she skates well take away that from Gracie and she doesn't have much left. Also she has to learn to push through when she makes a mistake and keep competing. To often when Gracie makes a mistake you know a couple others are just around the corner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

I swear, if Wagner loses US nationals with a fall in her FS and a clean Gracie places ahead of her, I'm totally using the excuse "The only reason Gold won was because she skated cleaner and Wagner fell."

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I'm just worried after watching Gracie this season that Frank has reined in her power and speed a bit to much. Her jumps looked rather average compared to what she's shown in the past.
    It's a process. She's actually nearly as fast as she was but MUCH less frantic looking (she in no way looks slow). Also, reigning in the EFFORT going into those jumps is what he's trying to do. It will keep her on her rotational axis better AND will save energy for later in the program which if she is rotating on the correct axis (instead of too far forward/back/right side), she can land ANY jump (see Michelle Kwan during the FrankC years) and will enable her to skate more clean programs consistently (because she hasn't used up all her effort early in the program).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It's a process. She's actually nearly as fast as she was but MUCH less frantic looking (she in no way looks slow). Also, reigning in the EFFORT going into those jumps is what he's trying to do. It will keep her on her rotational axis better AND will save energy for later in the program which if she is rotating on the correct axis (instead of too far forward/back/right side), she can land ANY jump (see Michelle Kwan during the FrankC years) and will enable her to skate more clean programs consistently (because she hasn't used up all her effort early in the program).
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of the past few months.

So am I - haven't really seen her since she left, but my coach has been saying for two seasons that Frank would be a good fit for her if things didn't work out with her Chicago situation and so the proof will be in the pudding so to speak, later this week.

Miserere Nobis
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the results of the past few months.
    As am I. Now I think that Dave Lease of TSL had a valid point when he said that it wouldn't be bad for Gracie to miss the GPF -- it's much better that she stayed home and worked on her new SP instead.

Medalist
    I'm curious to see how working with established elite skaters has affected her. I'm hoping it gave her even more motivation. I really like Frank's calm approach

Nice Gracie interview by Michelle Kwan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx7v9...ature=youtu.be

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast