Olympic Medal Design for Sochi? | Golden Skate

Olympic Medal Design for Sochi?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Watching Gershwin, a documentary on YuNa and Wilson (Orser was not even mentioned by then, poor guy) I saw YuNa receiving her medal and giving it a once over. YuNa clearly was thinking "I worked all my life for this potato chip on a blue ribbon?":biggrin: This is a joke for those who may be wondering. Seriously, I had forgotten how Weird the gold medals looked in Vancouver. Who can blame YuNa for wanting to retire the potato chip for a newer and better model.

Are medals surprises, kept under wraps until Olympics? I hope Sochi's are more traditional. How does one engrave a potato chip shaped piece of metal Here's hoping for some elegance from the land of beautiful art. Me? I'd want a Faberge Egg, with a Russian snow scene. I think it would be tough to do gold, silver and bronze but having some Russian pins and nesting dolls, there are fabulous painters. Anyone know what the Sochi medals look like? I wouldn't mind if they were actual ice skates in real gold, silver and bronze. I think that would be awesome to gaze at long after one stops skating. Getting excited -Olympic fever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krislite

Medalist
Her expressed reason is simply "no regrets". She wants to retire knowing she's gone for it all, including going for a second OGM, which no lady since Witt has tried.

As for the actual medal, no one will care or remember the design--only the color. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought hte medals in 2002 and 2006 were awful... Vancouver and Sochi are much better designs.

ahy

Final Flight
She stated that if she didnt give a try, she will regret after all...therefore, she is going for a second OGM and also help her "korean little skaters" (haha) earning tickets to let them experience what and how is Olympic

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nothing can be worse than the donuts that the skaters got in 2006. Maybe that's why Shizuka did four (FOUR!) donut spins in her LP. :laugh:

I actually really like the Sochi medals. Except for the URL on the back. :unsure: Hah, what's next? #Korea2018 on the medals in the next Olympics? :p

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I thought the Vancouver medals and the look for the Vancouver games in general were gorgeous and that the culture and art of the location were very well-integrated into the design and concept. Unlike London 2012 with its aggressively ugly design. Anyway, I seriously doubt any athlete cares what their Olympic medal looks like, they care about winning it and what it represents. You can see medal designs from throughout the years (minus Sochi, which had not yet been presented) in this story.

As for the Sochi design, I think the paralympic medals are nicer than the regular Olympic ones, but the latter aren't bad. I wish there wasn't so much cut out of the medal.

The title given to this thread has nothing to do with its content.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I personally don't like the Sochi medals.

Here are 3 pictures of the medals
http://www.thestar.com/sports/amate...cs_medals_for_2014_winter_games_unveiled.html
TY Brave...I'm not crazy about this design, but it beats a thin potato chip.;)

And I was just joking, Kris after guessing YuNa's thoughts, projecting my reaction. I didn't think those medals looked classy. I am well aware of her real reasons. But then again, it is nice to have a new design for her collection.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nothing can be worse than the donuts that the skaters got in 2006. Maybe that's why Shizuka did four (FOUR!) donut spins in her LP. :laugh:

I actually really like the Sochi medals. Except for the URL on the back. :unsure: Hah, what's next? #Korea2018 on the medals in the next Olympics? :p

LOL:laugh:

breathesgelatin

Final Flight

If you can believe it, the URL is actually the central element in the official Sochi logo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2014_Winter_Olympics_logo.svg

The Sochi medals are OK. I've always enjoyed Winter Olympic medals in that the hosts get to change up the designs, which isn't the case for the Summer Olympics. My only worry with the Sochi medals is that it looks like those glass pieces are going to pop out and stab someone!

Last edited by a moderator:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I thought the Vancouver medals and the look for the Vancouver games in general were gorgeous and that the culture and art of the location were very well-integrated into the design and concept. Unlike London 2012 with its aggressively ugly design. Anyway, I seriously doubt any skaters cares what their Olympic medal looks like, they care about winning it and what it represents. You can see medal designs from throughout the years (minus Sochi, which had not yet been presented) in this story.

As for the Sochi design, I think the paralympic medals are nicer than the regular Olympic ones, but the latter aren't bad. I wish there wasn't so much cut out of the medal.

The title given to this thread has nothing to do with its content.

Hi buttercup-not a serious thread, it si late and giddy and it struck me funny how YuNa perused her Potatoe chip large medal. People usually add whatever and go ott but who cares..It was a joke, not a serious statement of why YuNa is skating again. I wish I had the photo but it is in a video somewhere on youtube. Thanks much for the link so we can see the medals. skating and winning is a memory, a video but those medals mean so much to athletes, as do Oscars etc to actors, Grammys to musicians. It should be as beautiful a desing as host can produce. The medals are very important, if not then what not a kiss and a "well done." It is proof you make the podium...and handed down to family until earth is gone. I know I'd have a shadowbox with great display of my Oly achievement. Medals, even how beautiful or ugly matter to athletes, at least to me it would.

The Torino donuts struck me funny as well. esp knowing shiz did four donut spins in her LP. 3 too many.:laugh:

Jedi

On the Ice
I think Vancouver's medals were far more distinguished than the "crain the middle of the Sochi Those centres do not look good at all. I will take pringles any day.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Not a big fan of Sochi medals. But everything is better than donuts I think. Poor Sasha...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker

CarneAsada

Medalist
I think they look better than Vancouver at least, and actually most "modern" medals.

I also like how - if you look veeeery closely - you can see Kim's and Chan's names already engraved on the gold ones ;-D
You don't have to look that closely. At the bottom of the gold one the braille clearly says "Yuna Kim."

bebevia

On the Ice
ETA: double post
==
The Vancouver medals were my favourite! I didn't think of potato chips, but they were THICK potato chips - big, chunky, yummy looking, which is the reason I liked them. Shinier than most others, too :p