Olympic Medal Design for Sochi? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Olympic Medal Design for Sochi?

RABID

Final Flight
Her expressed reason is simply "no regrets". She wants to retire knowing she's gone for it all, including going for a second OGM, which no lady since Witt has tried.

As for the actual medal, no one will care or remember the design--only the color. :biggrin:

Agreed. If anything, it is the uniqueness of the medal and not how attractive it is that is what is important. Each and every one is distinctive or unique and thus represents a distinct and singular Olympic story. The "lowly" bronze medal Joanie Rochette won no one else has or ever will have and that medal represents a powerful Olympic story.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
They can't be skates the Olympics are more than skating remember that :)

yeah, I know, but medals specific to the sport would b so cool. Little skates, skis, hockey sticks...I know it's too much work for all the individual sports, but the medals would be more meaningful. I love the idea of a medallion with a pair of ice skates engraved. Or actual dangling golden skates. I just really thought the potato chips so...blah.

Victura

On the Ice
If I'm not mistaken, the medals from the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics were sport specific. I definitely remember seeing skaters on one side of the medals for figure skating. They might've even been discipline specific (i.e. a different design for pairs, dance, singles).

I didn't mind the "donut" medals from Torino. They were supposed to represent the Italian piazza.

What exactly was the meaning behind the "potato chip" Vancouver ones?

spread beagle

Rinkside
I liked Torino medals very much. Definitely over Nagano, Salt Lake. Vancouver was not bad, Sochi ones are ok.

What exactly was the meaning behind the "potato chip" Vancouver ones?

I think medals were made that each one is unique piece and stood for the individuality of each athlete.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
I liked Torino medals very much. Definitely over Nagano, Salt Lake. Vancouver was not bad, Sochi ones are ok. I think medals were made that each one is unique piece and stood for the individuality of each athlete.

I thought the Nagano medals were very pretty.

Peach

Rinkside
I actually liked 2010 medals. They were original and innovative. I really like Sochi medals as well. Thank god at least the medals are decent because their logo is the worst one so far lol.

Jedi

On the Ice
I personally think the medals will be appreciated by the winners even if they looked like yesterday's breakfast that sat in the sun too long. In a way these medals represent hard work and achievement and in many ways they are like figure skating you often need someone to tell you the story behind them for them to have any meaning - just saying....:)

Gigi13

On the Ice
I like the Sochi medals and there better than the Torino medals in my opinion, however I actually liked the Vancouver medals they were very unique.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
This is a great document from the IOC with images of all the Winter Olympic medals (it's a PDF, be forewarned):

http://www.olympic.org/Assets/OSC Section/pdf/QR_2E.pdf

My favorites include St. Moritz 1928 (gotta love the old-timey looking figure skater!), Grenoble 1968 (that was an Olympics with AMAZING design overall), Nagano 1998, and Vancouver 2010. Of those, Nagano looks dated to my eyes now but I think it well captures a sort of late 90s design aesthetic I'm nostalgic for. Vancouver 2010 I love, but I suspect will look dated in 15 years or so, so we'll see how I feel then. Grenoble might be my favorite overall.

I think my least favorites are Sapporo 1972 and Sarajevo 1984, which have a really similar look that I think is horribly dated and not very pretty. Albertville 1992 is also kind of a lowlight for me.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Doris which medal of your posts has the blade?

I like the Nagano ones a lot(Thanx Buttercup for the link). I also like Vancouver's cause they were minimal in graving and big and shiny, and the story behind each one of them being unique.
I thought Torino's were too big and shiny too and I read on the same link, they were supposed to be like an Oly circle that points the place of the heart? Anyway they were so big that on ladies they looked huge on their chest, but i m sure athletes were happy for the big donut medals.
Sochi ones are ok, they remind me little of SLC somehow cause they look the same busy. I prefer no cuts inside in general. I like their paraolympic medals better and the paraolympic mascots are the best!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Hi mods...I was looking for one of my threads...and found it under a new title. It began with humor, the catchy "The real reason YuNa wants a second Gold medal, or something like that. Many people in 2010 said the medal looked like a potato chip. So we discussed the medals, but really, is it necessary to change thread titles? Did someone actually have a problem with it? And if they did, what of the rights of those who start and title threads. I understand much gets moved. The edge is where things get seen and often Mods decide it belongs in Café or politics or comp. folder, except that far fewer see it, esp. if you are looking for info.

Respectfully, it was a cute and fun title/thread idea and I think we have learned much about medals. And it's also fine to talk seriously as to why she is returning, even though we all know why, as shwe has been forthright in her reasons, and her followers do a good job of documenting her every move, every word, etc. I liked my title and don't see why it was changed? TY for response from whoever changed it.?:confused:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hi mods...I was looking for one of my threads...and found it under a new title. It began with humor, the catchy "The real reason YuNa wants a second Gold medal, or something like that. Many people in 2010 said the medal looked like a potato chip. So we discussed the medals, but really, is it necessary to change thread titles? Did someone actually have a problem with it? And if they did, what of the rights of those who start and title threads. I understand much gets moved. The edge is where things get seen and often Mods decide it belongs in Café or politics or comp. folder, except that far fewer see it, esp. if you are looking for info.

Respectfully, it was a cute and fun title/thread idea and I think we have learned much about medals. And it's also fine to talk seriously as to why she is returning, even though we all know why, as shwe has been forthright in her reasons, and her followers do a good job of documenting her every move, every word, etc. I liked my title and don't see why it was changed? TY for response from whoever changed it.?:confused:

I'm not a mod, but to be fair, not everyone on these forums has English as their first language, so such hyperbole might not catch on. So I could understand the mods changing it so the meaning is more clear to those browsing the boards.

Even I found myself wondering what the thread was about... I thought it might had been something meaningful, like Yuna wants to win a second medal to catch up to Katerina Witt or something.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
As for medals handsdown the most beautiful is Nagano. Lucky, lucky Tara, lucky is so many ways. I am a huge fan of the lost and expensive art of enameling in jewelry, and these medals look like jewelry. I think the art in Japan is so beautiful. My brother has seen a lot of Japan. I always thought cloisonné which is labor intensive began in China? Does anyone know the history? Was it a Japanese art form before it became so popular in China? I know it takes 7 steps, and it is gorgeous when done by real skilled artisans.

Sometimes on QVC or that type show, one sees beautiful enameled jewelty from Italy, where beauty and perfection in jewelry is still highly appreciated. nother Country I could have spent my life in going from church to church to gallery to gallery.

Sadly, no wonder Europeans, Japanese and Chinese find America tacky, when we have surrendered our cratfers and artisans to cheap imported junk from Christmas tree shops. The Nagano medals are very beautiful. I agree Sapporo were not very attractive, surprisingly.

Thank you breathesgelatin (what does ur screen name mean?) for the pdf file. I learned far more than I thought I would, and having seen some truly homely medals, I actually appreciate Vancouver Oly medal more. I had not realized it had thickness, thus ameliorating the potato chip look. I am sure the recipients are proud. In comparison it is lovely.

Yes, the color matters most to the athletes. I think of Kwan and Kerrigan who just need a gold to complete the set. Also Irina I believe. I was wondering how many singles skaters had silver and bronze. Plushy was hoping for bronze in Sochi, but I guess that is not going to happen. I really kind of wanted to see him still truly competitive and be a real threat for bronze but with a gold and two silver, I guess he isn't to disappointed. OT but nancys hould have had Gold and silver, methinks.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a fan of the Lillehammer medals. I think it was brilliant to include granite in the design. They are distinctive and attractive.

What is it with the Canadian medals? They are both ugly, Vancouver and Calgary.

Vancouver's are just awful, and Calgary has that weird Indian with the headdress made of sporting equipment.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm not a mod, but to be fair, not everyone on these forums has English as their first language, so such hyperbole might not catch on. So I could understand the mods changing it so the meaning is more clear to those browsing the boards.

Even I found myself wondering what the thread was about... I thought it might had been something meaningful, like Yuna wants to win a second medal to catch up to Katerina Witt or something.

I thought about that too, Mrs. P and it is certainly a good reason. I said it was a joke, making sure no one thought it was in any way disrespecting YuNa. Esp. since I am a fan, but have some criticisms-pretty much the same ones everyone has-there is no perfect skater or person, but thought it was an endearing moment when she perused the medal. In my silly mood I recalled all the apt potato chip comments at the time. I think I prefer Vancouver to Sochi medal even at this point.

It was fun diversion to see all these past medals from different countries and time periods. The medal ceremonies can be so moving for us just watching on TV. I wish Brian Orser had gotten gold, for example, and Roz Sumners too. Sometimes silver is heartbreaking as all MK fans know. I love all the cultural fluff and color commentary. I hope we get good coverage from NBC. Especially on the ones who struggled so hard to realize the dream of getting there, with no real hope of a medal. OT-but gives rise to another thread idea!

Funny tho, the thickness of the medal was not what I remembered, nor the size-memory plays tricks-it was smaller than I recalled.

I'd love my own medal, no matter the color if only I had had strong ankles!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I like the medals..Completely in harmony with everything in Sochi design: cloth, suitcase etc...

Candy clouds

Rinkside
Vancouver's aren't that bad, actually. They just look as they were dropped and someone stepped on them along the way.

I'm surprised about Russia's though. For a nation known for its "artistry" those medals are gross. Did they run out of gold, silver and bronze along the way, so they threw in some graphic granite rock in the middle???

GPF medals were exquisite. Good job Japan, or whoever worked on them!

But I guess it's the feeling of accomplishment for some more than others.