Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Olympic Medal Design for Sochi?

Not a big fan of Sochi medals. But everything is better than donuts I think. Poor Sasha...

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I quite liked this medal - note that a skate blade is part of the design
    [URL]http://picture24gallery.blogspot.com/2012/07/medals-olympics-gold-medal-olympics.html[/URL]
    which one? that one has a lot of pics of different medals

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan View Post
    I personally don't like the Sochi medals.

Here are 3 pictures of the medals
    [url]http://www.thestar.com/sports/amateur/2013/05/30/sochi_olympics_medals_for_2014_winter_games_unveil ed.html[/url]
    I think they look better than Vancouver at least, and actually most "modern" medals.

I also like how - if you look veeeery closely - you can see Kim's and Chan's names already engraved on the gold ones ;-D

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    I think they look better than Vancouver at least, and actually most "modern" medals.

I also like how - if you look veeeery closely - you can see Kim's and Chan's names already engraved on the gold ones ;-D
    You don't have to look that closely. At the bottom of the gold one the braille clearly says "Yuna Kim."

Custom Title
    [SIZE=1]ETA: double post[/SIZE]
    ==
    The Vancouver medals were my favourite! I didn't think of potato chips, but they were THICK potato chips - big, chunky, yummy looking, which is the reason I liked them. Shinier than most others, too :P

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Her expressed reason is simply "no regrets". She wants to retire knowing she's gone for it all, including going for a second OGM, which no lady since Witt has tried.

As for the actual medal, no one will care or remember the design--only the color.

Agreed. If anything, it is the uniqueness of the medal and not how attractive it is that is what is important. Each and every one is distinctive or unique and thus represents a distinct and singular Olympic story. The "lowly" bronze medal Joanie Rochette won no one else has or ever will have and that medal represents a powerful Olympic story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
    They can't be skates the Olympics are more than skating remember that
    yeah, I know, but medals specific to the sport would b so cool. Little skates, skis, hockey sticks...I know it's too much work for all the individual sports, but the medals would be more meaningful. I love the idea of a medallion with a pair of ice skates engraved. Or actual dangling golden skates. I just really thought the potato chips so...blah.

2002 SLC did have medals that signified the different events, IIRC.

If I'm not mistaken, the medals from the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics were sport specific. I definitely remember seeing skaters on one side of the medals for figure skating. They might've even been discipline specific (i.e. a different design for pairs, dance, singles).

I didn't mind the "donut" medals from Torino. They were supposed to represent the Italian piazza.

What exactly was the meaning behind the "potato chip" Vancouver ones?

Tripping on the Podium
    I liked Torino medals very much. Definitely over Nagano, Salt Lake. Vancouver was not bad, Sochi ones are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    I think medals were made that each one is unique piece and stood for the individuality of each athlete.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spread beagle View Post
    I liked Torino medals very much. Definitely over Nagano, Salt Lake. Vancouver was not bad, Sochi ones are ok. I think medals were made that each one is unique piece and stood for the individuality of each athlete.
    I thought the Nagano medals were very pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Victura View Post
    Here's [URL="http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/2010-olympic-medal-design-unveiled-1.816624"]a CBC article[/URL] about the inspiration for the Vancouver medals.

I actually liked 2010 medals. They were original and innovative. I really like Sochi medals as well. Thank god at least the medals are decent because their logo is the worst one so far lol.

Medalist
    I personally think the medals will be appreciated by the winners even if they looked like yesterday's breakfast that sat in the sun too long. In a way these medals represent hard work and achievement and in many ways they are like figure skating you often need someone to tell you the story behind them for them to have any meaning - just saying....

I like the Sochi medals and there better than the Torino medals in my opinion, however I actually liked the Vancouver medals they were very unique.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast