DANCE - Standings after the ORIGINAL DANCE | Golden Skate

DANCE - Standings after the ORIGINAL DANCE

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I HATE INTERRIM SYSTEM!!!!!!!! I WANT CoP NOW!

OK, now that I got that off my chest:\
D&S's scores are clearly higher than G&G's. If you add up all marks, G&G have 71.3/79.2, while D&S have 78.2/79.7. Now, don't get me wrong, I actually really like G&G and wouldn't mind them getting the silver instead of D&S, but his is ridiculous...

P.S. Before someone jumps at me, let me say that I know, marks in and of themsleves don't matter under the ordinal system, and this calculating of marks is most pointless. I know. Howeve, in this case the technical mark is NOT EVEN CLOSE. G&G's marks range from 5.1 to 5.6; D&S's range from 5.3 to 5.8. AND on presentation, though it's close, D&S's marks are generally higher.

Oh well :rolleye:

Is it me or are Chait and Sakhnovsky consistently undermarked? I obviously haven't seent the competition, but I find it hard to believe that they skated to a 4.8 technical mark; and their pres marks range from 5.0 to 5.8. I think there was so much bru-ha-ha after their 2002 bronze, that the judges are somewhat overcompensating now. IMO, they have fine programs this season.

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Tho I'm not especially thrilled with the overall results, at this point, I must say, it's good to see some PLACEMENT SHIFTING and I hope it continues. I am getting so tired of dance competitions where the Compulsury-OD-Free Dance placements at the end of the day run 1-1-1, 2-2-2, 3-3-3, 4-4-4, and so on. Tho what surprises me is that there actually hasn't been any so far from 4th to 7th, and this is a very evenly matched group of couples.

Ptichka, I've been wondering about the Chait/Sakhnovsky placings the last couple of seasons myself, and you and I seem to share the same theory about the "fallout" from their 2002 World Bronze. The judges now seem scared to put them anywhere near medal contention. It's rather ironic; I would have thought that if anyone had gotten negative fallout from that whole bronze medal/petition incident at 02 Worlds, it would have been Denkova/Staviyisky.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
It's rather ironic; I would have thought that if anyone had gotten negative fallout from that whole bronze medal/petition incident at 02 Worlds, it would have been Denkova/Staviyisky.
According to posters at FSU, because Den/Sta are in third after the CD and OD, N/K will win, even if Den/Sta win the FD. I would say that could be negative fallout.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
hockeyfan228 said:
According to posters at FSU, because Den/Sta are in third after the CD and OD, N/K will win, even if Den/Sta win the FD. I would say that could be negative fallout.

Possibly so, but if it is, then it's still not fallout to the magnitude I was expecting after the 02 Worlds -- since then, D & S have won a few GP competitions and medals at European and Worlds, as opposed to being left off podiums and 1st place wins entirely as I was originally expecting. Tho I think Navka & Kostamorov will win anyway. I always got the feeling the judges were itching to elevate them to the top at first available opportunity.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
JonnyCoop said:
Possibly so, but if it is, then it's still not fallout to the magnitude I was expecting after the 02 Worlds -- since then, D & S have won a few GP competitions and medals at European and Worlds, as opposed to being left off podiums and 1st place wins entirely as I was originally expecting.
The only thing Den/Sta beat N/K in all year was a single FD, and that margin wasn't enough to make up for N/K's cumulative lead in the CD and OD. I'd say leaving the target so near, and then pulling it away as they get close, is worse than miring them in fifth.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
If this had any relation to "punishing" D&S for 2002 Worlds, it would have been most pronounced last year, and last year D&S where consistently placed ahead of N&K, whith G&G being seriously in that mix as well. Also, Tatiana Navka's role in the petition was very porminent as well; though I do understand that it is difficult to "punish" a Russian pair, especially one that is currently that country's leading team.

According to posters at FSU, because Den/Sta are in third after the CD and OD, N/K will win, even if Den/Sta win the FD. I would say that could be negative fallout
Yes, for D&S (or G&G) to win, N&K must be 3d or lower. Assume that D&S win FS. We then get:
N&K: 1*0.20 + 1*0.30 + 2*0.5 = 1.5
D&S: 2*0.20 + 3*0.30 + 1*0.5 = 1.8

Last edited:

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
D/S had a small error

Just saw this article and apparently Albena said that she was disppointed that they made an error in one of their steps sequences: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2004/02/03/334845-ap.html
So I'm sure the 3rd place in the OD was justified. I also think that this portion of the competition is their weakest. IIRC one of them said that they weren't too fond of these rhythms - although I do like their blues section. I hope they skate well in the FD.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Re: D/S had a small error

hrmsk8ngnutt said:
Just saw this article and apparently Albena said that she was disppointed that they made an error in one of their steps sequences: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/FigureSkating/2004/02/03/334845-ap.html
So I'm sure the 3rd place in the OD was justified.
But how does the rest of the program compare to G/G's? Are G/G as equally matched as Den/Sta? Are their edges as deep? Are they as fast? Did that one mistake negate all of Den/Sta's overall advantage in difficulty, edging, and speed?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
More inconsistent judging -- Denkova & Staviyisky have a minor error and drop down behind Grushina & Goncharov, whereas Deloebel & Schoenfelder had a fall on a twizzle (a much more blatant error by the sound of things) yet still maintained position ahead of Chait/Sakhnovsky. Go figure.:confused:

sk8guard

Spectator
But G&G have one of the best ODs actually and watching it gave me the impression they skated it very well. D&S of France probably have the most difficult OD , and it could have pulled them up a place, so I think Denkova and Staviskiy were a bit lucky in the OD with the mistake they did.The whole tempo doesn't suit them and their swing part is really weak imo.G&G were more in the mood of the OD and that helped them move up at that point.