Men - Final Results | Golden Skate

Men - Final Results

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
AWESOME!!

No disrespect intended to Evgeny -- actually, it's a backhanded compliment. When someone is as dominant as Evgeny has been, it's always good to see an upset every once in a while, just to keep things interesting.:)

Kasey

Medalist
WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!

Congratulations to Brian! Even with Plushenko not fully healthy, ANYONE winning a competition with him in it, what an incredible satisfaction that must be. Even not being a fan of Plush's skating (I think HE seems to be a really good guy), he is one heck of a competitor. Good for him, doing as well as he did injured. I just REALLY hope that he gets that injury taken care of RIGHT, and allows himself full time to heal....would hate to see another great eligible career cut short because of that.

And congrats to Griazev for pulling himself back together after the short program disaster! And to all the top ten!

Kasey

Evdokia

On the Ice
To be honest this night Plushy was somehow beaten by himself, he had the worst "off-skate" I've ever seen from him:
4toe-3toe-2toe
1Axel - fall:eek:
another popped Axel:eek:
3Axel-3Toe-2Toe
3flip - fall:eek:
3lutz
3loop
3Axel
2sal:eek:

I really felt horrible for him :(
Brian didn't make a single mistake (and he nailed two quads, one in combination with a 3Ttoe:)), but it was easy to beat Plushy this time. I really wonder what was going on with him tonight (in practice his jumping was great despite the injury)?:confused:

Kasey

Medalist
It couldn't have been "easy" to beat Plushy if he had THAT many problems and still was getting 5.8 in technical, 5.8 and 5.9 in presentation. Seems like there was some judging based on reputation, rather than performance. Yep, it's happened with my favorites from time to time also, and I'm always glad that they win, but it's never as satisfying as watching someone do their best, or at least a fully, clean, well-presented skate, and EARN their marks.

Worlds should be VERY interesting.....

Kasey

Matt

On the Ice
Yay for Baboo!

I can't say I'm surprised, though. With all the wear and tear Plushy's being putting on his knee, it was only a matter of time before his luck gave out.

Not to take anything away from Joubert, of course; he deserved to have two good skates. If this is the beginning of his consistency, he's going be top of the heap in no time.

This is an interesting development before Worlds; it's gonna be a good one!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I can't say I'm surprised, though. With all the wear and tear Plushy's being putting on his knee, it was only a matter of time before his luck gave out.
It almost seems that it's his fear of his knee, not the actual knee. Otherwise, how could he do well in practices?

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Meltdown

Looking at the results down the line, it looks like some of the men had meltdowns.

Bernttson of Sweden placed 5th overall before the LP, and had a disasterous LP (17th) to finish 13th

Murvanidze had placed 8th in Qual, 9th in SP, but 20th in LP

Overall, the movement in the standings was quite refreshing to see. Kevin van der Perren moved up one in the standings (he's still sooo cute :love: )

Evdokia

On the Ice
More on the jump-content:
Joubert: 4toe-3toe, 4 toe, 3axel, 3lutz, 3flip, 3loop, 3sal
Klimkin: 4toe-3toe, 4toe/fall, 3axel-3toe, 3flip/step-out, 3flip/fall, 3loop (out of a cantiliver), 3sal (out of spin), NO 3lutz?:confused:
Dambier: 4Sal, 3Sal-3Toe, 3axel-2toe, 3axel, 2loop, 3lutz, 3flip, 3toe (landings sometimes not very smooth)
Lambiel: 4toe-3toe, 3axel/fall, 3flip-3toe, 2lutz, 3lutz, 3loop, 3flip, 3sal

Evdokia

On the Ice
Ptichka said:
It almost seems that it's his fear of his knee, not the actual knee. Otherwise, how could he do well in practices?

I was wondering the same, practices were great. I think it's just mentally much more difficult to go out and attack if you know that you are not fully fit.:(

Another oberservation I made with Plushy is that most times he seems to have nerves of steel, as he skated so many technically clean programes in his career but on the other hand he did this only when there was no fierce competition for him. However, as soon there was a real rivalry going on, he was very vulnerable to mistakes. - Take for example his OG 2002 SP, and he also messed up his LP a bit. Or think back at Worlds 2000! - Actually most times he won over Jagudin, he either skated first or knew, that it would be more difficult for Yagudin to beat him (e.g. when Yagudin was injured). :confused:

I noticed Plush was not up to par during DC Worlds, and I would have given the competition to Tim. Plush has not skted his best for quite some time now. Is it the knee? or is he just being lacksidazical? Hope he skates his best in Dortmund.

So it was Tim closing in at DC Worlds; Sandhu snatching away the gold at GP Final; now it's Joubet at Euros.

Glad to see Ilia Klimkin hold on to third, and Stephane went from 10th to sixth. Was this CoP or 6.0?

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
It was the 6.0 judging Joe....I think with CoP, there would have been a slightly different top 3, with Plush being lower than he was. (Just my thinking that 5.8s and 5.9s for a program with two falls and other mistakes is a tad "generous").

Kasey

Evdokia

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I noticed Plush was not up to par during DC Worlds, and I would have given the competition to Tim. Plush has not skted his best for quite some time now.

I wouldn't say that, he really skated great at last years GPF in St. Pete. But than again he had no serious competitors there. :\

And Joesitz it was the 6.0 system which was used at Euros (and it may have saved Plushy a bit in Budapest;))

Evdokia

On the Ice
Kasey said:
I think with CoP, there would have been a slightly different top 3, with Plush being lower than he was. (Just my thinking that 5.8s and 5.9s for a program with two falls and other mistakes is a tad "generous").

I agree! Actually one might have placed Plushy at 4th or 5th place with so many mistakes. I think two of the judges still put him in first place despite all the errors :eek: