Russian violence-are Games safe? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Russian violence-are Games safe?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes I ve met him in several occasions and I can say he is very polite and friendly, warmer than I would imagine but my best impression was after Euros 2013 sp that he was almost dead but nevertheless bothered to say thank you and talk for a good amount of time and even tried to be funny. From my personal experience he is nothing like his intimidating persona on ice, but as with every other skater they should respect his competing/training time and his privacy. I ve seen fans being pushy and passing the limits there and then he is rather serious and formal.
No it is the first time I ll go to Winter Olys, but I have been to Summer Olympics before.

I am so excited for you, but with more new mention this eve, I will be concerned for you and everyone. Having a forum member going, and especially such a noted plush fan will be fun for us to see through your eyes. May God protect everyone. I seem to recall you live in Greece? Or have I confused you with someone. I was so closed to Nationals but neither PCA could help me. I'm still sad as it was fabulous competition as you know. And just to be in that Arena when Jason did his LP must have been to the moon. Well, it will be beautiful I hope, and be vigilant! I'm thinking lines and checkpoint will be very tedious.

It is amazing Plush plans to skate hios 4th Olympics. I hope he does well, just for you!

I ll certainly want to report everything once I figure out if I will have internet there at all! My seats are far far away from the ice though..

Bon Voyage

It's OK. I understand that some people have negative view on Russians or on Russian government (which is quite corrupt) but what I hate is for someone to condone (or support) terrorists, just because someone hates (or disagrees with the policy of)this or that government.

I don't know where you got the idea that Americans sympathize with the terrorists in Russia or anywhere else. We get anxious when we hear about individuals or groups that want to attack people. In fact, the guys who blew people up at the Boston Marathon were part Chechen and lived I think in Dagestan for awhile. It's especially distressing to us when we take people in as refugees, and their sons grow up, go back to the home country to "study," and come back as radicals and try to destroy something. Many of us live with that fear all the time.

katia

On the Ice
I don't know where you got the idea that Americans sympathize with the terrorists in Russia or anywhere else. We get anxious when we hear about individuals or groups that want to attack people. In fact, the guys who blew people up at the Boston Marathon were part Chechen and lived I think in Dagestan for awhile. It's especially distressing to us when we take people in as refugees, and their sons grow up, go back to the home country to "study," and come back as radicals and try to destroy something. Many of us live with that fear all the time.
gmyers wrote:
"There is the feeling in the us by many and its very widespread that the terrorists are right and justified and violence against Putin and Russia is right. "
That's why I was so angry.

katia

On the Ice
This article by Sally Jenkins bashes Russia and Putin more than the terrorists! It's obvious whose side she's on.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/sports/...5427a8-83aa-11e3-8099-9181471f7aaf_story.html
This article in Washingtonpost is very nasty and rather untrue.

Perhaps it would be good for that author (and for you)to read other articles about:

1)security in Sochi.
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/...er-terror-questions-related-to-sochi-2014.php
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn...t-nothing-to-fear-but-fear-itself/?hpt=hp_bn2

2) black widows
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/black-widows-tied-decade-terror-russia-21609215

seniorita

Record Breaker
I don't believe she wrote that these games will b of lower expectation ever! I believe Russia has the means and so rich history to make great Olys.
Thank you Katia for the extra articles, personally I feel more secured for a terrorist menace that at least is being warned and they ll do their best to prevent it than no warnings at all, all roses and not extra security. The victims of terror attacks with no warning had none to prevnt or protect them in advance and that is really a much worse event.

gmyers

Record Breaker
This article in Washingtonpost is very nasty and rather untrue.

Perhaps it would be good for that author (and for you)to read other articles about:

1)security in Sochi.
http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/...er-terror-questions-related-to-sochi-2014.php
http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn...t-nothing-to-fear-but-fear-itself/?hpt=hp_bn2

2) black widows
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/black-widows-tied-decade-terror-russia-21609215

I am reading all the articles! I have high hopes. Mainly I'm just giving examples for a previous point in which there was talk and stuff but not so much official written articles as now.

Last paragraph of Brennan pulls back a little but barely.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've often found anything in the US news to be something to be weary of. It seems every news outlet here is hellbent on scaring us. Weather it's our healthcare, global warming, terror, or just simple international relations, it seems to present only the worst case scenario. Take anything with a grain of salt coming from American news agencies.

katia

On the Ice
I've often found anything in the US news to be something to be weary of. It seems every news outlet here is hellbent on scaring us. Weather it's our healthcare, global warming, terror, or just simple international relations, it seems to present only the worst case scenario. Take anything with a grain of salt coming from American news agencies.
But it is not only American news agencies. The same thing is going on with Brits, with French, with German, with Russian. And with MSM from other nations.
Only the subject of scare (and propaganda) is different.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
The issue is this. Terrorists have already destroyed life. The efforts are ongoing. The USA would not be sending two battleships if they did not think we may have to evacuate all the athletes, their families and spectators. Sometimes I think God seems to grant peace for a few days in a violent world. I do not think we have seen the last from some very angry, bitter people from Chechnya. I want to be wrong. Sochi can be a fortress, but Russia is huge, and with so much effort going into guarding the games, much of the rest of the country will be unguarded. Russia is a huge place, and if the radical element that wants blood, and national news coverage, then Moscow, or other large area with many people would be easy target. Or easier.

I do not understand why people want to stick head in sand, rather than discuss this, and report what is being said. I am annoyed to see that some people not American fel our media is trying to be alarmist. It is not the media you need fear, and the media is the watchdog, and we need watchdogs. Much media is censored. I do not see any fault-real fault with The Media reporting the harm done so far, nor with telling us the thwarted plots so far. It may be that this is not the best attended games. But wouldn't it be in the best interest of all for governments to be honest about the threat level?

I hope people will post the reports and news links here so busy people can check the thread. I would ask that the media of any country not be tarred and feathered. All media is censored these days. Sommetimes it seems more like propaganda than news. But there are still many outlets covering this in depth. I would hope that those attending are able to get the facts to protect themselves if incidents are quickly broadcast. Also, as much as I love the Olympics and would be crushed for athletes and for us spectators, this is the first Olympics I have a shaky feeling about. I would only say that if the world prays, wars even can be averted, according to a Lady I know. I refer to BV Mary. I hope she truly said that in Yugoslavia (30 year ago!).

Sochi itself will be the safest place in the world for the duration, and that is the good news.

katia

On the Ice
The issue is this. Terrorists have already destroyed life.
I do not understand why people want to stick head in sand, rather than discuss this, and report what is being said. I am annoyed to see that some people not American fel our media is trying to be alarmist. It is not the media you need fear, and the media is the watchdog, and we need watchdogs. Much media is censored. I do not see any fault-real fault with The Media reporting the harm done so far, nor with telling us the thwarted plots so far. It may be that this is not the best attended games. But wouldn't it be in the best interest of all for governments to be honest about the threat level?

Media are alarmist, that's because stories about terrorists and terror sell. Stories about hacking sell. Stories about war sell. And stories about killing sell. Images and feelings sell, not rational explanations and logic.
Let's look at one of the articles.
"The Olympics aren’t supposed to kill people. " If you look at that opening statement you would think yes, it is true but......?
"But it’s too late to take the dangerous, despoiling Winter Games away from the thugocracy" ... now let's ask ourselves: "Are the Winter Games "dangerous"? "despoiling"? If you think on it how could that be? Could any games be despoiling by themselves?
"It’s a cold hard fact that these Olympics have become an agent of death." Have they? In what way?
You say that the media are watchdog, but are they really? Where were they during Olimpics in China when hundreds of children got sick from contaminated milk and many have died? They were quiet.
Where were they when agents of China hacked Canadian and US embassies and won economic tenders? They were quiet.
Where are they when Christians are killed in the Middle East and Hindus and secularists are killed in Bangladesh by muslims. In their majority they are quiet.
Where were they when in Egypt Muslim Brotherhood killed opponents? Not only there were quiet but also they told public that it is the Muslim Brotherhood opponents who are quilty of MB behaviour. And now Egyptians hate USA. The Muslim Brothehood hate americans and the opponents of Muslim Brotherhood hate americans because of gutless US government policy.
Where are were the media when the cities in US go bankrupt? Why did they not notice the trend?
Where are the European media when Chinese military kill people in Tibet?

Media are supposed to be watchdogs but they are not. The journalists are normal people who have their own views on politics, and the media they work for need to make money. And majority of media do not explain things logically or explain the background of events but use feelings and examples. Because feelings sell.

It is funny that you say that media are censored. They are not, at least not in the West. In the West media censor themselves. They are getting directives and they follow the directives. They do not need to, but they do. Because they agree with it. They would not say "muslim terrorists" , they will say "chechen terrorists" even though these chechen terrorists are financed by musims from Saudi Arabia and Gulf states and they have the same objectives as terrorists from Saudi Arabia or Iraq. And the media rarely explain the background, really explain the background because it does not sell and the people do not have time to read longer explanations.

Media are censored in China, in the Middle East or(somewhat) in Russia, it is true. But what is the difference and who is worse, the media who censor themselves or the media who are censored?

Also, as much as I love the Olympics and would be crushed for athletes and for us spectators, this is the first Olympics I have a shaky feeling about
And that's because of the media, during London Olympics media did not wrote about the security because they did not want to scare people.
However now we know that "Security for the 2012 Summer Olympics was provided by several arms of the British Armed Forces. The security operation was led by the police, with 13,000 officers available, supported by 17,000 members of the armed forces. Naval and air assets, including ships situated in the Thames, Eurofighter jets and surface-to-air missiles, which were deployed as part of the security operation. The final cost of the security operation was estimated 553m pounds sterling. The budget for venue security was being partly funded by LOCOG as well as using the contingency from the £9.3 billion infrastructure budget.the number of security personnel totalled 40,000 " .

So the difference in how we perceive the security in the Olympics is behavior and stories in .................media?
And one more thing. Why do we need to now all about the threat and the security? Do normal person really need to know it all ? And if we do not now all the precaution taken (and we should NOT know because then the terrorists also would know) how would we know if the danger is really big?
And do we really have knowledge to assess thelevel of the threat and of security?
And do the media?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
We must know threat level in order to travel there or not. Not me per se, nut American public. You make good points Katia. The US Govt is clearly concerned as they should be. Hopefully, Putin has this so well covered.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Nobody knew level of threat for London Olys either. If terrorists have hit Volgograd, have announced attack in Sochi and it is spread around the globe, then their purpose is done, to scare people off and get media crap coverage of this, turn the spotlight to Sochi and leave other targets unsafe. Otherwise look at terroririst attacks in recent history post 2000 that shocked the public and had no warnings. How can you feel less safe in Sochi now, than anywhere an awful terrorist attack happened. Personally since I have 2 transit flights I will be more relieved to arrive in Sochi as soon as possible.
For historical reasons, are there Olys that were not threatened?
London Olys terror threat

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
We must know threat level in order to travel there or not. Not me per se, nut American public. You make good points Katia. The US Govt is clearly concerned as they should be. Hopefully, Putin has this so well covered.

You know, there are a few places in the US I would absolutely love to see. But for me, the threat level in the US is very high. Very frightening. Because it's all so random. You just don't know when someone is going to be having one bad day too many and pull out a gun. You don't know if that argument over a jacket is going to end in bullets.

Europe is fairly sensible; if you stay away from known trouble-spots you should be okay. But in America, there are no "trouble-spots". It's everywhere. So many people have guns that anywhere can suddenly become a massacre. And that's not even starting on the random shootings, like that young Australian bloke who was shot by three teenagers because "they felt like killing something"!!!!!!!

For me, the prospect of going to America is equally as frightening as going to Sochi...if not more so.

katia

On the Ice
You know, there are a few places in the US I would absolutely love to see. But for me, the threat level in the US is very high. Very frightening. Because it's all so random. You just don't know when someone is going to be having one bad day too many and pull out a gun. You don't know if that argument over a jacket is going to end in bullets.

Europe is fairly sensible; if you stay away from known trouble-spots you should be okay. But in America, there are no "trouble-spots". It's everywhere. So many people have guns that anywhere can suddenly become a massacre. And that's not even starting on the random shootings, like that young Australian bloke who was shot by three teenagers because "they felt like killing something"!!!!!!!

For me, the prospect of going to America is equally as frightening as going to Sochi...if not more so.
Karne,
It seems to me that you are starting to sound exactly like some people from US sound about Sochi. Frightening.. Guns. OMG someone will kill me. US is rather safe.
As for Europe, in Europe people do not have guns, but they have knives and molotov coctails. Some of them also have guns. Illegal guns. In Ukraine and in Russia there are more murders per 100,000 people then in US. And a dead person is a dead person, and it does not make difference if he/she got killed by gun, by knife or by strangulation.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
*shrugs* It won't stop me from going, when I get the chance. But it is a real fact to me.

There are criminals with illegal guns here, too. They're just polite enough to usually shoot each other rather than innocents.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Sounds like Spokane. Being murdered by a stranger is pretty rare. More people die in the US due to cell phones every day than assault rifles...but back to Sochi, terrorists around the world are very unpredictable but as anyone who watches the news knows, they have access to a wide assortment of military weapons, it seems, either through theft or purchase. If they decide to act at Sochi, simple guns will be the least of ones worries....I still think if one stays away from huge enclosed crowds, as one will find at the opening cerimonies, (to avoid the human stampedes) the odds of dieing by mortar round or RPG or gunfire and high explosives are nil....
*shrugs* It won't stop me from going, when I get the chance. But it is a real fact to me.

There are criminals with illegal guns here, too. They're just polite enough to usually shoot each other rather than innocents.