Janet banned; Justin is OK. | Golden Skate

Janet banned; Justin is OK.

At the Grammy's, I got a report that Janet is banned to appear but Justin is ok to attend.

Is this fair"

Joe

Kasey

Medalist
I think Justin is equally full of crap as Janet! First it is all denied...then it's "he said she said" stuff...then it was planned a different way. Please, it's all HER fault? Why, Justin, were you willing to push your image more to the "naughty" side to engage in such behavior, even if the end result had not been the same? Is that what your true talent is? Funny, I thought it was SUPPOSED to be music!

ARGH!

Kasey :rolleye:

SusanBeth

Final Flight
People are just taking this too far. It was a tacky, even sleazy, stunt. There should be steps taken to make sure it doesn't happen again, but it wasn't the end of all decency on earth. I've read someone brought a class action suit against the parties involved. They are claiming it caused serious bodily harm.:confused: That must have been a really powerful boob.

Anyway, the people at the Grammys are claiming Janet was dropped, because Luther Vandross is too ill to attend. She was supposed to present an award to him.

Last edited:

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I completely agree, SusanBeth! The Janet/Justin thing certainly was wrong, but it wasn't the worst thing that has ever been done. The whole affair has been blown way out of proportion. Certainly, I was upset that children might have seen that, yet I can't see how this was much worse than the onslaught of sex enhancement drug commercials! What was that? I don't want my kids seeing a constant stream of storylines that are centered around the trials and tribulations of some aging man and his anatomy! But, I guess that was okay...since it was the product of a mammoth prescription drug corporation!

Antilles

Medalist
I'll never understand why people think there is something wrong with the naked body. I saw my fair share as a kid, and trust me, I was not harmed in any way. I see nothing to be ashamed of. If it did upset people , it's only adding more fuel to the story by getting in an uproar. If no one gave it any attention, it would go away.

Bijoux

Match Penalty
i think we need a poll on this issue

apparently the silent majority spoke very loudly. I heard there was a tape delay added for the grammies and now for the Oscar show.

Both are responsible so if someone should be punished, should be both. Funny how untalented "singers" are always taking their clothes off. Never seems needed by Whitney, Celine, Streisand and many idol winners. I find it pathetic and I'm ready for Justin's 15 minutes to go away, as well as Janet's.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
I haven't said anything about this event until now, because I stupidly thought it would blow over.

This reminds me very much of what my niece went through in her high school nearly a year ago. She became involved with a boy whom she cared for very much. Somehow it got around school that the two of them slept together, and my niece's boyfriend bragged to all his friends how great it was. My niece began to get flack, while her boyfriend was elevated to "big man on campus". Then things became worse. My niece's name was written on the walls of the boys bathroom, other boys began to say that they had also "scored" with her, and she was labeled the "class slut". Her boyfriend dumped her and several people turned against her. Her locker was trashed, she received harassing phone calls, and some students even did "drive-bys" past her house, throwing insults, rotten food, and various sex items. She also got in a couple of fights with girls accusing her of stealing their boyfriends. Several of her friends were forbidden by their parents to associate with her. Even my sister and brother-in-law experienced backlash by association from several teachers and parents. In the end, my niece was banned from several extracurricular school activities, including her senior prom, under the reason of "being a bad influence for her peers" and "disturbing the atmosphere of the school". There was no punishment for her ex-boyfriend, the boys claiming to have slept with her, the girls who started fights with her, or any of the students who harassed her. In fact, two of the students went on to become prom king and queen and several of them won various awards from the school at the end of the year. My niece was destroyed and chose not to attend her high school graduation, instead she had her diploma mailed to her.

Now my niece never even slept with her boyfriend or any other boy. That is not my point. My point is that even if she had slept with anyone, it is between herself and the boy, and maybe their parents and her gynocologist. My other point is that my niece was honest about what happened (and didn't happen) yet she was called a liar, a whore, a jezebel, and her punishment far outweighed her so-called crime. That is why I believe Janet Jackson when she says her exposed breast was an accident and that there was something that went wrong, and I feel that she is being made a scapegoat for everyone else.

My niece is now away at college, with new friends, and trying to move on from the previous year. I spoke to her on the phone just yesterday and she said the issue with Janet brought back all the memories. She said that she felt lucky and grateful that she had family and a few friends who were willing to stick by her when everyone else turned on her and that it looked as if she were better off than Janet in that respect.

I remember when the entire thing was going on, we tried to comfort her, tell her that everything would blow over and that the people giving her a hard time would eventually grow up and mature. I'm sorry to say that the part about people growing up and maturing is a lie. They may grow up, but this is what happens to them.

** They become principals of schools who treat pregnant girls like prostitutes and criminals while treating the father of the child like kings.

** They become judges or sit on juries who acquit rapists because the victim is a slut who deserved to be raped or "brought it upon themselves" because, as a fellow GS poster so aptly puts it, "they put themselves into the situation".

** They become suburban soccer moms who crucify the lady, while bragging about their own superior parenting skills and perfect little angels and/or try to extort money out of the lady's situation by filing bogus lawsuits against them.

** They become politicians who use the lady as a scapegoat to distract the public from their own shenanigans.

** They become good little religious fanatics who love to quote the "Good Book" at everyone, but always seem to miss the parts where Jesus Christ preaches tolerance, acceptance, and forgiveness.

** They become media executives who point the finger at one person, while absolving themselves of any responsibility.

** They become network executives who have no problem showing children penile dysfunction commercials, beer commercials, TV programs with violence and dead bodies, and God help us, the World Trade Center towers falling over and over and over and over again, but believe that two seconds or less of a bare breast will turn all of America's children into Osama Bin Laden clones. (BTW, anyone seen him lately?) Yet that doesn't keep them for showing it over and over again on news outlets.

** They become people who throw people who trusted them to the wolves in order to save or promote their own reputations.

** They become awards show organizers who villify the lady while "celebrating" the man.

Worse of all...

** They breed and then raise their offspring to be just like them, so my niece and Janet will not be the last victims of a figurative public lynching.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Funny, I thought it was SUPPOSED to be music!

actually, I don't think his "talent" should be considered "musical"...

but I guess it's all a matter of interp. ;)

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Great post, Jimmy. Something confuses me, however. With the unfortunately great number of sexually active teens, why was your niece singled out for ostracization?

Personally, it would never have occurred to me to blame Janet solely. Justin and other performers, MTV, the NFL (for hiring MTV) are all guilty of producing or participating in the halftime smutfest.

Jimmy Hoffa

On the Ice
RealtorGal said:
Great post, Jimmy. Something confuses me, however. With the unfortunately great number of sexually active teens, why was your niece singled out for ostracization?
She attended a parochial school, so everyone is going to pretend that "sex is bad", even if they are doing it. I think it was a combination of pettiness, spite, and jealousy against my niece on the parts of some, and the need to look like a big stud on the part of her ex-boyfriend and the other boys, and it escalated into something huge. Then the administration felt they had to make an example.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Something confuses me, however. With the unfortunately great number of sexually active teens, why was your niece singled out for ostracization?

because it's the sexually active ones that scream "slut" . Being a virgin in this generation labels you as "free game"... you make it known you won't have sex, and you'll be the most sexually active person in school....

guinevere

Final Flight
Justin is distancing himslef from this event as quickly as possible. I saw a clip of him on Access Hollywood, where he said how shocked and horrified he was by what happened, saying that many people were offended, including his own family -- the impression was really that somehow *he* was the victim of Janet's wily plan :rolleye:

What makes me really :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: is that the "wardrobe malfunction" was that Janet's red brasierre was supposed to stay in place, but that the plan was still for Justin to rip Janet's clothes in a denuding fashion after singing "Ill have your clothes off by the end of this song". The media doesn't seem to see the irony that what did happen was a literal version of what they were simulating, and wasn't that much further - that it's ok for a guy to rip a woman's clothes. And of course, as with Jimmy Hoffa's story, the woman is blamed for the whole thing. Justin may not have "known" that Janet's costume would rip all the way, but he clearly had no problem simulating exposing her!

guinevere

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I agree that Janet and Justin should be treated the same. It's he-said-she-said, and we have absolutely no way of knowing who is telling the truth. To me, one does NOT have any more credibility than the other.

Jimmy, your post reminds me of my own situation back in my freshman year in high school. I was dating a black kid, a 6 foot basketball player. Now, this was the sweetest boy, and it took as a month of dating before we even held hands, another month before we started kissing; we never had sex (or even discussed it). At the time, I had only been living in the US for a couple of years, and was still very naive about both race relations and teen sex. However, most people in school assumed that the only reason a black kid would date a white girl would be to sleep with her, and that the only thing an all-advanced-courses white girl could want from a basketball player was sex. The adults agreed; even his parents shared in this opinion; the landlord of the appartment that my family was living in tried ragging on me to my parents, who luckily did not understand what the big deal was -- they could see that he was a really nice boy. It was terrible. The worst were the black girls, who accused me of stealing their material. It got to the point where I couldn't walk through the corridor in school without being called names. I stopped taking the school bus -- my mom would drive to school, and I would walk home. I would spend the lunch period in the library to avoid seeing people in the cafeteria. I did "get over it" eventually, but things like that certainly leave scars.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
They become judges or sit on juries who acquit rapists because the victim is a slut who deserved to be raped or "brought it upon themselves" because, as a fellow GS poster so aptly puts it, "they put themselves into the situation".

Jimmy, I'm not sure which GS poster you are referring to, but it certainly isn't bad advice to tell anyone, male or female not to put yourself in a potentially dangerous or compromising situation. 42

SusanBeth

Final Flight
The problem here is the implication that those who don't always use good judgement somehow invite or deserve to be victimized. I'll have to try not to express exactly how much I disagree with that. NO ONE has the right to rape or molest another person under any circumstances. It makes no difference if the girl is walking down the street buck naked wearing a sign that says ''Meet me in St Louis.'' No means NO! The guilt belongs solely to those who commit the crime.

That being said, I do stress safety and caution with my daughters. Be aware of your surrondings. Travel in groups. Don't accept drinks unless you've opened the bottle and poured it yourself. Watch your drink at all times! There's a million of them and I've probably said each one a thousand times. I have to!
It's like there's a war against young people and everyone's pretending -1 It isn't happening. 2 The victims have the power to make it stop. They just don't try hard enough.

The overwhelming number of crimes in this country should be a source of shame to all Americans. We should be ''mad as hell and not taking it anymore.'' Yet we are still back blaming the victims. Our kids can't walk 2 blocks after dark without ''putting themselves in the situation''. It's enough to make you hang your head and cry.

Sorry this is OT I got carried away.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I certainly agree with all that Jimmy had to say in his post.

The problems mentioned also apply to males. There was a teacher in my school district who was accussed of sexual impropriaties by two junior high girls. He lost his teaching credential, custody of his son, and spent two years in prison. The girls later came forward and admitted that they had lied, but because their side was taken, their word against his, he lost everything. He was released from prison......but once your reputation is tainted, forget getting another teaching job.....he doesn't know where his son is, and he works now as a gardener..........42

Bijoux

Match Penalty
TV alert

Clay Aiken and Megan Mullaly sp? have done a takeoff on the justin /janet incident and will be hosting Saturday Night Live tomorrow. The promo is funny, with the roles reversed. Tonichelle, I see you are a Clay fan. he is quite funny!

I personally think they both planned exactly what happened and don't equate it with any other situation. Janet's recent records are sexual, and she has never been shy about flaunting her body onstage. They badly miscalculated the reaction this time.

Re: TV alert

Bijoux said:
I personally think they both planned exactly what happened and don't equate it with any other situation. Janet's recent records are sexual, and she has never been shy about flaunting her body onstage. They badly miscalculated the reaction this time.

I kinda agree with you. But the question is why ban her? and not him? It could be that he is about to win the Best Album Award at the Grammys, and I believe he has a new album which he is supposed to hype soon. Oh well.....

Joe

skatingfantasy

Rinkside
Janet had made a decision not to soon before the halftime show started that there would be a costume reveal so that tells you right there that it was planned but but hadn't been thought out too long beforehand. I say both Janet and Justin are equally as guilty. Janet is guilty because she shouldn't have been trying to show her nasty bra to the whole world in the first place and Justin is just as guilty for participating. What makes me laugh the most about this whole thing is the phrase "costume malfunction"
Machines malfunction! Not fabric!