Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Yuna Kim in Korean Nats for a final rehearsal before Sochi

  1. #16
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Huh? You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it does. I was merely pointing out that the proliferation of Yuna threads that are surely annoying the likes of Chapis and yourself will cease after Sochi. That's a side comment, sure, but not a "straw man".

    As for where this thread belongs, that's up to the mods, but to me there is no clear line between competition vs. non-competition topics. Discussions about skaters, skating and competitions all highly overlap. And in the case of "Korean Nationals", it's obvious the only interest is Yuna's programs and her condition.
    Per your suggestion I looked up straw man and in my humble opinion by saying Chapis is annoyed by Yuna Kim thread is misconstruting her argument because all she said is that why isnt this under Korean nationals

  2. #17
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Kris is my first time using that word in this forum, but I will take out my dictionary because this new year I want to be fair and accurate. You see ,you are been unfair to me because no thread about Yuna Kim bothers me. I think Chapis made a valid point about the thread. Also, Kris out all Yuna kim fans in this forum ,I have so mch respect for you because I find you respectful ,but to say that at Korean nationals the only important thing is Yuna Kim is a little much. I am sure the other girls have their fans😄
    A strawman is a counter-argument against another's argument based on a distortion of the original argument. You could at best accuse me of using a "red herring". That is, pointing out something irrelevant to distract from the issue raised by Chapis (which is whether this thread belongs in this forum).

    As for the rest of Korean Nationals, I know it's blunt to say the only interest is on Yuna's programs, but I'm not saying the rest of the skaters are not "important". They are surely important to Yuna's legacy. Yet it's a sad truth that none of them draw more than a few dozen fans (who are not friends or relatives) to the rink, even on home ice. Yuna has done a lot to raise their prospects, from financial support to winning them spots to Worlds and Olympics, but until they start getting better and more consistent results internationally, there's only so much she can do to raise their popularity among Koreans and the figure skating world at large.

    Until last year when Yuna competed, there were no "tickets" to Korean Nationals--it was a free event. A free event in a rink that had at most a dozen or so seats for an audience.

  3. #18
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    764
    Thank you thinspread!

    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    common , it is the same, and in each competition thread you can to do another thread just about Yuna if you want.
    Why don't you lighten up? It's not the end of the world - relax and try to have fun. It's the New Year. If you don't like it then don't take the bother of posting in the thread. Problem solved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    A strawman is a counter-argument against another's argument based on a distortion of the original argument. You could at best accuse me of using a "red herring". That is, pointing out something irrelevant to distract from the issue raised by Chapis (which is whether this thread belongs in this forum).

    As for the rest of Korean Nationals, I know it's blunt to say the only interest is on Yuna's programs, but I'm not saying the rest of the skaters are not "important". They are surely important to Yuna's legacy. Yet it's a sad truth that none of them draw more than a few dozen fans (who are not friends or relatives) to the rink, even on home ice. Yuna has done a lot to raise their prospects, from financial support to winning them spots to Worlds and Olympics, but until they start getting better and more consistent results internationally, there's only so much she can do to raise their popularity among Koreans and the figure skating world at large.

    Until last year when Yuna competed, there were no "tickets" to Korean Nationals--it was a free event. A free event in a rink that had at most a dozen or so seats for an audience.
    This - in a nutshell.

  4. #19
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    237
    For those interested, there's a single thread on Korean Nationals in Other Nationals section. FYI Korean ladies figure skating delegation for Sochi Olympics has been already decided, regardless of the outcome of Korean Nationals. It will be Yuna Kim, Soyeon Park and Haejin Kim.

    I posted a separate thread on Yuna, since I thought there would be members and visitors particularly interested in finding out Yuna's updated condition and preparation for the Olympics.

    Off-topic, some Youtube vids recently uploaded by IOC for Vancouver recap and Sochi promotion featuring Yuna Kim and other athletes:
    Inspiration Without Borders
    Spectacular World & Olympic Record - Yuna Kim
    Yuna Kim in Vancouver

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    There's a thread for Korean Nationals, but I thought it's worth a separate one.

    Partial footage of Yuna's FS run through during official practice today:
    http://news.sbs.co.kr/section_news/n...id=N1002162650

    Some small changes in the routine, and it I think looks better than at Golden Spin.

    ETA: For people having difficulty playing the video clip linked above, here's a Youtube link for the same video (kindly provided by Krislite):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVgrv8lAOPE
    Thanks for this thinspread. Consider 200,000 applied for these tickets for only 3000 seats in just round 1, I'd say this Korea nationals is the hottest ticket in town. Beside Yuna, I am really curious to see how So Youn Park and Hae Jin Kim manage to improve from last. I think Park has a lot of potential based on her progress these last 2 years.

    The antis need to chill out a bit... spend all the time complaining just cry sour grapes. There's only a few weeks till the Olympic, it will get more extreme in the main stream media. Consider the Yuna Kim to Compete at Golden Spin of Zagreb, Croatia, Dec 5-8 thread has garnered some 76,000+ views already here on the same main forum area for a B competition, I'd say that is pretty impressive and totally justify any Yuna threads that brings in good ad revenue to support this forum. In any case I am excited by the new improvements of Adios, and her stamina seems visibly improving, hope the competition turn out well.

  6. #21
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,021
    The reason that competition info goes in competition folders is because the info is more easily available to search for in the archives. Stuff in the Edge disappears quickly.

  7. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    Yuna looks healthier and in better spirits to me than Zagreb, that's great news.

    But sigh...I still feel like there's a lack of emotional depth to this program.

    Have to wait for nats performance to see for sure.

  8. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    I wonder when Yuna said at times she regrets the LP choice, if she was actually being serious? Maybe she dislikes the choice altogether and wishes she had chosen another program, because it seems like she doesn't feel the music in this program at all.

  9. #24
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Beyond Neverland
    Posts
    1,244
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The reason that competition info goes in competition folders is because the info is more easily available to search for in the archives. Stuff in the Edge disappears quickly.

    Well this is totally absurd.

    This thread is about a rehearsal for Sochi program, the evolution of a program. It might as well be filed under 2013-2014 programs thread or re titled into something else. It is not even about National Competition per ce. How would one able to access this information, from 3 clicks deep linked in from sub directories where someone hardly ventures into? Why not just kill the thread now which was behind the main motivation of the complaints?
    Disingenuous to say the least.

    Fine if you want to kill your own traffic, way to go admin!

  10. #25
    Miserere Nobis
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Texas Darling
    Posts
    1,529
    I wish SBS had included the audio of Yuna's programs, instead of its own soundtrack. Oh, well.

    I think Yuna looks in fantastic shape -- I'm attributing her less-than-perfect Zagreb performances to nerves from not having competed since March. Her 3-3 is still the best in the world, and judging from the video, it seems that she's improved her interpretation of the tango.

  11. #26
    Custom Title breathesgelatin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    This thread isn't about Korean Nationals. It's about Yuna Kim skating at Korean Nationals. Who cares about the actual "competition"? Sadly no one. It's so lop-sided it's not really a "competition" in the ladies event.
    I hope someday soon Korean Nationals is a legit competition! Here's to Yuna hopefully inspiring a generation of young skaters!

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    The reason that competition info goes in competition folders is because the info is more easily available to search for in the archives. Stuff in the Edge disappears quickly.
    Funny reason, doris. This is not about competition, the Korean nationals. I believe you would know that much.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I wonder when Yuna said at times she regrets the LP choice, if she was actually being serious? Maybe she dislikes the choice altogether and wishes she had chosen another program, because it seems like she doesn't feel the music in this program at all.
    I can't read Yuna's mind, but she said on several occasions that she liked the Adios FS very much and that it would be a very good program if she could perform it to her target level. She said she at times regretted the choice because the program is the most choreographically and physically demanding she'd ever had.

    As known, Yuna in practice and Yuna on stage are quite different. I think the FS has depth for layered emotional interpretation and expression, compared to something like her Tango de Roxanne. So we'll see.

  13. #28
    Rinkside young12241225's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Republic of Korea
    Posts
    1
    Kim Yuna perfect ^^

  14. #29
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    16,021
    Welcome to Golden Skate, young12241225!

  15. #30
    ♔Princess Li Zijun♔ Gigi13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    247
    Good luck at nationals Yuna! I can't wait to see your programs again <3 .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •