Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Who had more presence in the FS? Cohen vs Kostner

Medalist

Who had more presence in the FS? Cohen vs Kostner

Both they are well-known for super inconsistency and I know Kostner was no doubtly more successful due to her longevity.
    But who do you think received more huge attention and spotlight?
    I felt Sasha was little overrated by media at that time and Kostner was little overshadowed by Yuna-Mao rivalry tgh.

Kostner by far had the presence due to her statuesque figure and speed. Sasha had the flexibility and the fiery with glimpses of coyness, but even in her late 20s she looked like an adolescent. Both brought exceptional beauty to the ice.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    As an athlete, certainly Kostner. But she was so sloppy. Cohen had a bigger presence due to her choreography and attention to detail. I vote Team Cohen. Kostner never fulfilled it.

Love popcorn, hate horendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Kostner of course!

Rinkside
    Sasha Cohen

Custom Title
    I've always found Sasha to be way more interesting - choreography, costuming, etc.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    Sasha, hands down.

Except when she was on her backside.

She was an absolutely stunning skater on the too-rare occasions when she was clean. When I think of her, I always get that little pang that comes with unrealized potential.

Medalist
    Of course Sasha!

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    My vote goes for Sasha

Custom Title
    I would probably say Sasha (although I think Kostner is more regal and has better skating skills in general). Sasha's attention to detail and lines were absolutely perfect. It's unfortunate that she wasn't a more consistent jumper.

Custom Title
    Just to clarify, is this asking who had the bigger presence in terms of being iconic, or who had a bigger presence on the ice? The first post seems to imply the former but the replies seem to answer the latter.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    Just to clarify, is this asking who had the bigger presence in terms of being iconic, or who had a bigger presence on the ice? The first post seems to imply the former but the replies seem to answer the latter.
    Former one...Sorry for my bad englishT_T

Custom Title
    I think Cohen was the better of the 2, her programs even with flaws were gorgeous to watch, Kostner if she had a falls it really took away from the beauty of the program. And I find Cohen's programs more memorable then I do Kostner's programs.

Even legacy-wise I think Cohen comes out on top; I hear commentators mentioning more that current skaters remind them of Cohen then I do Kostner (though disclaimer, I live in the U.S. so the majority of the time I am hearing commentary geared towards an American audience)

Banned
    Koster easily. Kostner in her adult state matches Sasha in lines, positions, beauty on ice, artistry. Her skating skills though are on another planet. Her choreography is much better and more demanding. Her interpretation is almost flawless and better than Sasha, despite that Sasha's is also very good. Her jumps, when landed, are way way better, and both are inconsistent. Her footwork is much stronger and more difficult. Sasha has the edge on spins and spirals, even though Kostner's spirals even who a better balance between nice positions and extentsion, decent flexability, and very good and secure running edges and flow, unlike Sasha who is completely missing the last part and whose spirals are so stunning only due to the positions and flexability.

Kostner is a threat to Yu Na Kim when both skate cleanly. Sasha even skating clean would be no threat to Yu Na Kim or Mao Asada if they skated reasonably well. That alone shows who is better. Sasha also was incapable of beating a clean Kwan, clean Slutskaya, or at her best (with the 3-3s) Arakawa even with her best potential skates.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Only in the U.S. Anywhere else in the world Sasha is already forgotten (maybe a bit of recognition in Canada only). Kostner will be remembered in Europe and to a lesser degree Asia for a long time.
    I think it is reaching a little bit to say that Sasha Cohen is remembered only in the U.S.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast