Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir Reality TV Show on W | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir Reality TV Show on W

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
kresslia, apologies if you were offended, but wow, I don't consider that strong language when there are people who say much worse.

I say that b/c Davis and White have been the darlings of the ice dance world for the past 2-3 years and have pretty much beat V/M in every competition where they've gone head to head. I certainly prefer V/M over D/W and think they are the superior team, but in the politically charged world of Ice Dance, it's D/W to lose. Unless they mess up their twizzle sequences badly or fall, they will win.

I don't think V/M are helping their case by doing a reality show, which IMO is mostly fake. It cheapens their brand, and may make them look less serious in the eyes of some of the judges.

lmarie086

Medalist
I think this show is hilarious. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the direction the show has taken is not what I would have expected.

The behind the scenes world of ice dance is fascinating. I really enjoy the clips of the practices, and seeing just how much work goes into every detail.

I have heard that Tessa gets more insecure more easily, in these last few seasons since Vancouver, so I don't know that I'm surprised by that aspect of her appearance in the show, but maybe just by the extent of it.

Scott...for me at least, doesn't really come across as very likable in the show. I do have a bias that while I think he's a fantastic ice dancer, it has been awhile since I thought much of him as an individual.

Marina and eville Meryl are the break out stars of the show- especially Marina. She punks them all. :laugh:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States

I don't think V/M are helping their case by doing a reality show, which IMO is mostly fake. It cheapens their brand, and may make them look less serious in the eyes of some of the judges.

THIS. So much this. I don't know if it will really make them look less serious to the judges, but in today's terms, I would definitely agree it cheapens their brand.

In more general terms, the show is very tacky. Please note that I said the show, not V/M themselves. But still. And apologies to tulosai's cat! ;)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I find her very endearing, but he reminds me of an ex-boyfriend. Snarky all the time can totally wear anyone down. Interestingly, I find Patrick Chan more likeable than I thought I would.

Well of course this has as much relation to "reality" as a romantic FD has to Twue Wuv, but I'm enjoying it immensely.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
I haven't had a chance to watch the show yet, but really want to. I love this kind of thing. But my impressions are that, from what everyone is posting about the show, it does seem to cheapen their brand. It's refreshing, though, that it debunks people's overblown ideas of who Tessa and Scott really are.

tulosai

Record Breaker
THIS. So much this. I don't know if it will really make them look less serious to the judges, but in today's terms, I would definitely agree it cheapens their brand.

In more general terms, the show is very tacky. Please note that I said the show, not V/M themselves. But still. And apologies to tulosai's cat! ;)

Lol no worries. To be honest he seems to judge shows mainly on their musical content, not their merit.

I do like the show but in a very campy, trashy way- the same way I might enjoy the Real Housewives if I watched that.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
The show's pretty decent by reality show standards. I think anyone who's discriminating can spot what's fabricated and what's not. I LIVED for Meryl's shade and side eye when Tessa and Scott were having trouble in episode 1; I literally cackled at the computer screen for minutes. The show makes Tessa seem like a really genuine, real person that you can relate to, especially her insecurities. It's a big contrast from the confidence she naturally exudes on ice. Scott, however, is a dick, and I doubt it's the "editing." He just doesn't seem considerate and I don't know how Tessa can stand being around him.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Thank you for the links. I really enjoyed seeing the back scene. Taking off all the editing, there are some truth in it. They have spent 17 years together, and Tessa's struggle in relationship sounds like old married couple's one. Nice to see Canadian team mates care about each other.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link!!

For anyone who cares, I think my cat is losing patience with the show. He came over immediately when it started but after 7 minutes he was out of there.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
This show must be aimed at non figureskating fans. For someone who follows the sport, a lot of the drama is lost by knowing the outcome of the season. (ie their programs pass muster, they do win skate Canada . . .)

The show's pretty decent by reality show standards. I think anyone who's discriminating can spot what's fabricated and what's not. I LIVED for Meryl's shade and side eye when Tessa and Scott were having trouble in episode 1; I literally cackled at the computer screen for minutes. The show makes Tessa seem like a really genuine, real person that you can relate to, especially her insecurities. It's a big contrast from the confidence she naturally exudes on ice. Scott, however, is a dick, and I doubt it's the "editing." He just doesn't seem considerate and I don't know how Tessa can stand being around him.

I'm a little leery of looking, because I know how even a written article can distort things--how much more so a show that's going for easy ways to draw an audience in? Scott probably is rather abrasive, but he must have other, finer traits that show up in moments that the producers filter out. I remember watching a segment on Torvill and Dean years ago in which Chris drove Jayne to tears at one point (remember he wasn't just the partner but the choreographer, so he was really in a position of power over her), but though his temper has long been acknowledged, he and Jayne plainly love and respect one another. People, especially those in long relationships, are complicated.

As for Meryl looking side-eyed at things, I have to point out that this show wasn't about her, so the producers could easily hunt for any fleeting discontented expression and use it to shape a narrative about the ultra-competitiveness of the skating world (which is certainly based on fact). Also, Meryl has a rather angular, feline face (which I happen to think is fascinating and beautiful), which lends itself to sidelong glances and sharp looks.

As I've said, this is the competition I'll lose sleep over. I love both couples, and though I'd especially love to see D/W get a gold, I would rejoice if V/M won as well. I'm not just trying to be polite. Both teams are at the peak of what ice dancing is capable of both technically and artistically, and the luxury of seeing two such teams at the same time is almost unimaginable. It's like choosing between Astaire and Kelly--thank goodness we haven't had to--and I've always been grateful that I can be greedy and enjoy both. What a contest of titans!