Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir Reality TV Show on W

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    I agree. And she stalks various message boards looking for opinions she considers misguided. I've seen myself quoted over there, which terrified me to my very soul.
    ...Holy Cannoli, that is terrifying!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaysInTheDirt View Post
    Buttermilk, if you're talking about the hater's blog I'm thinking of - with the initials of JDLSM - have you ever seen someone so obsessed and committed to discrediting people? He or she, and the people who post there, seem to hate Scott and Tessa only slightly less than they hate Charlie and Meryl. Now they're tearing apart the dance routines from dwts and saying Meryl has some handicap and they're going to keep digging until they find out what it is. If only they realized how insane they all sound, they might find a better use of their time and actually contribute something positive to the world.
    That is very unsettling. But if you think about it, these days, what would it even matter? Over on TV, on Dancing with the Stars, one of the contestants has no legs, and she dances with her prosthetic legs and feet in full view of the camera. She's doing a fine job, as well. Even in skating, Elaine Zayak skated pretty impressively with a foot that was missing some toes (from a childhood accident). What could these bloggers possibly "unearth" that would make Meryl look bad?

Yulia and Ruslena team forever! Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera Costa View Post
    It would have been a big distraction though. Not only for Tessa and Scott but all the other athletes as well. Especially going deeper into the season.
    Maybe....but I think something could've been arranged.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by buttermilk View Post
    I agree. And she stalks various message boards looking for opinions she considers misguided. I've seen myself quoted over there, which terrified me to my very soul.

I noticed that most of the venom on that blog seems to be directed at ice dancers. Along with the strange theory about Tessa & Scott having a secret child, several other ice dance partnerships were criticized and taken apart. I saw some comments criticizing Weaver & Poje for how they have presented themselves, and some nasty comments bashing Piper & Paul for going on a road trip through Colorado together. Weird. Paul & Islam seem luckier and didn't receive many negative comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Alba View Post
    I read somewhere that they broke up. Maybe on FSU but I'm not sure....
    There is a video somewhere of Scott/Tessa on a radio show and they ask them about romance. Tessa reminds us that she is indeed single and Scott says that he is "on the outs" of a relationship, whatever that means. Sounds like a break up to me, but can't be sure.

About everything else let me express my thoughts and hope they make sense:

I am in Texas so I had to catch all of the episodes online. I found the show entertaining but I am no stranger to reality TV and found some parts to not be totally honest. You have to watch with a grain of salt and realize that some things are staged and some are exaggerated. I would've loved a similar show about Meryl and Charlie to see their pre-Olympic preparation. Love both teams and definitely thought D/W were better technically all season and especially in the short dance. They deserved the gold medal whether Canada wants to admit it or not.

I agree that Tessa seems to be a genuine person and her airtime endeared her to fans in a similar way to Meryl's DWTS training packages endearing her to D/W fans. Both seem to be sweet and genuine. Charlie just seems to be happy-go-lucky. I don't think that Scott is always an A-hole, I think that he has the classic artist's temperament and is very moody. Scott has expressed this in many interviews. Tessa is very even-keeled which is why she can put up with his moods for all of these years.

I love Meryl and Charlie and both did very well on DWTS of putting their best feet forward. People I have talked to who have met Meryl say that she is a very shy and very sweet person who always takes time to talk to the fans and make them feel welcome. She has a temperamental partner/teacher in Maks and she has a knack of calming him down and helping him heel and focus. They also showed her comfort NeNe in a moment of hysterics and Meryl was the first to get to her and stroke her back and try to figure out what was wrong. BTW NeNe had bashed Meryl all season to that point claiming that b/c she had an OGM she shouldn't be on DWTS (not Meryl's decision BTW).

Meryl and Charlie are probably the most consistent Ice Dance team in the history of the sport. They hadn't developed their artistic side yet in Vancouver and Scott and Tessa were clean allowing them an edge. Meryl and Charlie have made marked improvement in their artistry since Vancouver but didn't give up any ground technically. You can't beat Meryl/Charlie with mistakes in the program. V/M didn't skate clean twizzles all season and some of their worst unison problems were in Sochi. They also have been downgraded a lot on the Finn step in the last couple of seasons. I thought that those were their only mistakes until I watched a youtube of the program with Jayne Torvill on the color. She was pointing out more mistakes. After watching the reality show of their GP events, seems like they never really corrected the mistakes. If they had listened to Marina/Johnny rather than Scott flying off in a rage they might have been able to figure out how to match Meryl/Charlie.

I agree that they are both the pinaccles of the two different ice dance styles. Meryl/Charlie are very fast and technically clean, skate in hold in a bold, powerful style. They remind me of Anassina/Peizerat a decade and change earlier or Bourne/Kratz. Scott and Tessa have a slower, softer more romantic style that is more indicative of modern ballet. They remind me of Krylova/Ovsianokov(sp?) or Torville/Dean. They were both pioneers in the sport bringing each of their countries their first OGM. The rivalry should be celebrated and I don't understand Canada's vitriol for all things D/W and especially Meryl.

Finally, I think in the states that most of us assume a team is platonic unless we are told otherwise. We aren't shocked when news comes out of one dating someone from a different team and we have a "good for them" attitude about it. We can still enjoy the magic of the dance and at the end of the day accept the fact that it is all it is.

I too have taken a glance at that blog. Reminds me of the "black helicopter" folks here in the states. Conspiracy theories are human nature but in our country they are usually about space aliens in NM or who shot JFK. I have yet to see any that have been directed at Olympic athletes. I don't think the blog's creator is stable and his hatred of Meryl is irrational and whether or not she can dance should have nothing to do with who Scott Moir does and doesn't date. BTW I know Tessa was injured, but they did interviews during that time and she was definitely not pregnant. Also I am in noway as busy as D/W and V/M but I don't have time for a fake significant other to cover up for a real one and I can't see why Scott would have the time or inclination for it.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Coltrocks12, do you have a link to the Jayne Torville videos? I'd love to hear what she had to say about all the programs!

In a way, dwts, and all the media interviews that keep surrounding it, function as a complementary Meryl & Charlie reality series to the Tessa & Scott tv show. In both shows we were able to learn a little more about the two teams that have so dominated ice dance for the last five years. And in both there is not nearly enough about skating and training for my taste!

The biggest bonus is that we got to see more of what appears to be the real Meryl and the real Tessa- and yet in reality shows, so much isn't real. The haughty Meryl of "Tessa and Scott" seems unrelated to the quirky, low-key, charming pixie we see in DWTS. Both shows are all very fascinating, and a great way to detox from an intense Olympic season.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Coltrocks12, do you have a link to the Jayne Torville videos? I'd love to hear what she had to say about all the programs!

In a way, dwts, and all the media interviews that keep surrounding it, function as a complementary Meryl & Charlie reality series to the Tessa & Scott tv show. In both shows we were able to learn a little more about the two teams that have so dominated ice dance for the last five years. And in both there is not nearly enough about skating and training for my taste!

The biggest bonus is that we got to see more of what appears to be the real Meryl and the real Tessa- and yet in reality shows, so much isn't real. The haughty Meryl of "Tessa and Scott" seems unrelated to the quirky, low-key, charming pixie we see in DWTS. Both shows are all very fascinating, and a great way to detox from an intense Olympic season.
    I love your post and no I don't have a link. My sister was watching it and I walked in the room. I think she found it with a Bing search. Hope that helps.

Welcome, Coltrocks12. Thanks for the great analysis. Post often, post long!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Welcome, Coltrocks12. Thanks for the great analysis. Post often, post long!
    Thank you for the welcome. I can be long-winded sometimes and will try to keep that to a minimum.

On the Ice
    I think Jayne Trovill hasn't done any commentating in recent years. But of course I may be wrong.

When it comes to the reality show about V/M, I didn't like it that much. It seemed a bit artificial for me. But Tessa and Scott are not actors, so maybe they felt akward to star in such a production. I must admit I much prefer to watch them on the ice than in such a show.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossig View Post
    I think Jayne Trovill hasn't done any commentating in recent years. But of course I may be wrong.

When it comes to the reality show about V/M, I didn't like it that much. It seemed a bit artificial for me. But Tessa and Scott are not actors, so maybe they felt akward to star in such a production. I must admit I much prefer to watch them on the ice than in such a show.
    Like I said I walked into the room with the video already playing. My sister said it was Jayne but I don't know if she was guessing because of the British accent or if the lady identified herself as Jayne. It was obviously broadcast in another country other than the US or Canada. Whoever she was she was obviously a retired ice dancer with immense knowledge of the sport.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post

I was also thinking that DWTS was, as you put it so well, a series about D/W that is complementary to the Tessa and Scott TV show. Though I haven't seen the Tessa/Scott show yet, both programs clearly offer an opportunity to see more of the skaters we've been so happily involved with for the last half-decade. I wouldn't credit the edited view of Meryl on Tessa and Scott's series because the focus is on Tessa and Scott, with Meryl functioning as a foil as needed. (I don't know what the producers' agenda is on that show, but clearly their obligation is not to Meryl.) By contrast, on DWTS, the focus is on Meryl and Charlie, so we see them reveal themselves in a way that isn't geared toward showing some other performer(s) at their best. It's been a delight spending time (figuratively, at any rate) with Meryl and Charlie every week for some months and watching them grow as artists.

Custom Title
    Procrastinating by Watching my Fav. Skaters
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I was also thinking that DWTS was, as you put it so well, a series about D/W that is complementary to the Tessa and Scott TV show. Though I haven't seen the Tessa/Scott show yet, ...
    Yes, it has been fabulous to get a better look at how all four of the individuals really are!! And...I'll really miss not seeing them regularly anymore. *sigh*

That all being said, Olympia, you haven't watched "Tessa and Scott" yet?!?! You must! It is some prime entertainment! It did allow you to get to feel like you know Tessa, Scott, Marina, and Johnny better.....and it also had some highly entertaining (bc they're just so obviously staged) moments too. I'd watch another season.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The most amusing characters in T&S are Marina and her little dog! Tessa seems so much more fragile, and less secure, than I had thought. I hope that part was exaggerated.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast