Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 109

Thread: Fan vs Fanatic

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Mainz, Germany
    Posts
    894

    Fan vs Fanatic

    I just felt like I could do with a nice "happy feeling" moment and decided to treat myself with watching Akiko Suzuki's recent Nationals FS on youtube again. Yup, that makes me smile.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgLvbzDQsM
    The mood I was hoping for didn't settle in because I unfortunately noticed the "like / dislike" count. Currently, it's 703 like and 697 dislike.
    Not only did I not get my happy smile, I actually feel a lump in my throat now at the notion that fragile little Akiko might learn of that. (insert "I wanna throw up" smilie here)
    I noticed over the past years of the Mao vs Yu-Na rivalry how there were (imo disgusting) people who made it their hobby / borderline full-time job to post youtube videos, not to show how great their idol is, but to smear the opponent. Say she's ugly, has no talent, is overrated, nobody likes her, she eats little children for breakfast (I haven't come across this one, but I'm sure there is somewhere), etc.
    Really disgusting stuff.
    It felt so wrong to me, and just plain alien to what "being a fan" means to me, that I couldn't really process this and kind of moved on to other things.

    I'm aware that my notion of "being a fan" doesn't have to apply to everybody else.
    I'm aware that some fans become really fanatic about supporting their idol.
    I'm aware of the hostile past between Japan and Korea.
    I can - to a certain degree - understand the frustration of feeling one's idol not being recognized enough, like saying: "my idol has the best spins." It's another thing to say "look at his/her opponent's spin, it's so ugly and got too many points". I can understand saying this on a forum like this one.
    But how does all that other stuff happen? The extreme stuff?

    I don't even want to suspect or fingerpoint at any particular fanbase for now having found a new target in Akiko, but I guess having 700 dislikes for that performance doesn't come from 700 people disliking that performance, but rather them prefering another one, or - let's face it - trying to get to her.
    Yeah, let's hit on her knee with a steel pole! Sorry, but to me, if some fanbase actively decided to do that, then it's just as malicious.

    Any comments? Explanations?
    Maybe one of the 697 who clicked on "dislike" and would like to open a line of communication?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    you can bet most of those are from Korea and vice versa
    this isn't new though, some of Mao Asada's videos have no commentaries/is blocked so no one can rate her videos
    same for Yuna's, her mistake ridden programs are usually in no commentary mode

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,212
    I'm a huge Yuna fan, and I've occasionally liked a Mao program or two, but man, you can't say anything critical about either of them without lunatics going insane.

    Guess what, they're human beings, they aren't perfect. If they fall or give a bad program, big deal, it doesn't make them any less great than they were before. Get over it "fanatics".

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,317
    There are various reasons. Jason Brown and Joshua Farris' videos from Junior Worlds got a bunch of dislikes and homophobic comments - simply because they happened to be young, attractive male figure skaters.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    348
    I think there is definitely a distinction between a fan and a fanatic--the fanatics seem to think that putting down a rival skater is ok, while the fans focus on following and cheering the skating and life of the skater(s) whose fans they are. Fans often like other skaters, too, and love the sport in general--I'm not sure that the fanatics actually like skating so much...

    The fanatics seem to thrive on throwing themselves into a discussion about the rival skater(s) (lots of examples on this and other skating forums, unfortunately), and can get really nasty. They also tend not be able to take any critique of the skater(s) whose fans they are--whether justified or not--and presume that any critique is a personal attack on that/those skater(s).

    Then there are, of course, skating fans who never have anything positive to say about certain skaters, not necessarily because they are rivals of a skater/skaters they like, but because they for some reason do not like that particular skater (and this may have little to do with the skating and more to do with the personality or style of that skater). I don't get this either. Criticize the judging, politicking, the skater's technique, musicality, or performance, etc., but could we please stop calling a skater "ugly", "fat", "too effeminate", etc.? There should be room in the skating world for skaters of different looks, styles, energy, and personality--the differences just make the sport more interesting, imo.

  6. #6
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I think there is definitely a distinction between a fan and a fanatic--the fanatics seem to think that putting down a rival skater is ok, while the fans focus on following and cheering the skating and life of the skater(s) whose fans they are. Fans often like other skaters, too, and love the sport in general--I'm not sure that the fanatics actually like skating so much...

    The fanatics seem to thrive on throwing themselves into a discussion about the rival skater(s) (lots of examples on this and other skating forums, unfortunately), and can get really nasty. They also tend not be able to take any critique of the skater(s) whose fans they are--whether justified or not--and presume that any critique is a personal attack on that/those skater(s).

    Then there are, of course, skating fans who never have anything positive to say about certain skaters, not necessarily because they are rivals of a skater/skaters they like, but because they for some reason do not like that particular skater (and this may have little to do with the skating and more to do with the personality or style of that skater). I don't get this either. Criticize the judging, politicking, the skater's technique, musicality, or performance, etc., but could we please stop calling a skater "ugly", "fat", "too effeminate", etc.? There should be room in the skating world for skaters of different looks, styles, energy, and personality--the differences just make the sport more interesting, imo.
    Well said

  7. #7
    “Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I think there is definitely a distinction between a fan and a fanatic--the fanatics seem to think that putting down a rival skater is ok, while the fans focus on following and cheering the skating and life of the skater(s) whose fans they are. Fans often like other skaters, too, and love the sport in general--I'm not sure that the fanatics actually like skating so much...

    The fanatics seem to thrive on throwing themselves into a discussion about the rival skater(s) (lots of examples on this and other skating forums, unfortunately), and can get really nasty. They also tend not be able to take any critique of the skater(s) whose fans they are--whether justified or not--and presume that any critique is a personal attack on that/those skater(s).

    Then there are, of course, skating fans who never have anything positive to say about certain skaters, not necessarily because they are rivals of a skater/skaters they like, but because they for some reason do not like that particular skater (and this may have little to do with the skating and more to do with the personality or style of that skater). I don't get this either. Criticize the judging, politicking, the skater's technique, musicality, or performance, etc., but could we please stop calling a skater "ugly", "fat", "too effeminate", etc.? There should be room in the skating world for skaters of different looks, styles, energy, and personality--the differences just make the sport more interesting, imo.
    I've found that comment sections as a whole are pointless to read. I've read nasty comments about my favorite skaters before and it's so frustrating. I've come to the point now where I don't even read the comments. I go online to enjoy the video/article/whatever, not to read what others are posting about it. Sometimes I still do it, from habit, but then I tell myself to stop. Even on GS, I've gotten to the point where I don't even open threads if I think they could turn too negative. Maybe that's just my personality though. I've always taken this old adage to heart: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I mainly post online about things that I enjoy or that make me happy. I like to hang out in the Fan Fest section here where people stay positive all the time. Am I the only one who is like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Like what you like and don't worry about the rest.
    AMEN TO THAT!!!

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    you can bet most of those are from Korea and vice versa
    this isn't new though, some of Mao Asada's videos have no commentaries/is blocked so no one can rate her videos
    same for Yuna's, her mistake ridden programs are usually in no commentary mode
    Nonsense and ridiculous. In general, Koreans are not interested in Akikko. Why would Koreans hate her?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    Nonsense and ridiculous. In general, Koreans are not interested in Akikko. Why would Koreans hate her?
    I didnt say Koreans hated her
    maybe they disliked it for the inflated score, you know those dirty jap money comments
    you see it all the time in Mao's videos especially gets huge dislikes when she falls on her 3A, some of her bad performances even have no commentaries to block disliking same for Yunas. Well it could also be Mao fans who disliked that Akiko beat Mao

    you never know all the reasons

  10. #10
    Long live the Queen! YunaBliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    443
    It seems to me that Mao fans are hitting the dislike button, for getting a score that even Mao never got. As said already, Yuna fans have no interest in this.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    It seems to me that Mao fans are hitting the dislike button, for getting a score that even Mao never got. As said already, Yuna fans have no interest in this.
    That's funny considering that one video of Akiko's performance had some people in the comments raving about how Akiko was so much better than Mao, but definitely not better than Yuna. So no, quite a few of Yuna's fans did have interest, no matter what you say. lol.

  12. #12
    ~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    4,677
    Hmmm, if you are expecting serious fans to comment on your favorite skater on a public forum such as Youtube, then you must realize not everyone commenting there is a figure skating fan for starters. They may no nothing about figure skating. It would be like me trying to give favorable comments about a hockey player or game. My knowledge of hockey is pretty limited. I don't read the comments people make on youtube about any entertainer or skater and if I do I ignore the ignorant ones. Just enjoy watching your favorite skater and don't take youtube comments too seriously.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,147
    With all due respect, I find it hard to believe the majority of dislikes are from Yu Na fans. As much as I love Akiko, I cant imagine any sane Yu Na fan who has ever viewed Suzuki as a rival of any kind to Kim, or one now either. I am shocked at the high number of dislikes though. I think if anything it would more likely be upset Mao fans who are shocked with how Nationals went down. It could be neutral fans who dont like the score (which is stupid given the inflated Nationals scoring from every country, she certainly deserved a higher score than either Julia or Adelina got at Russian Nationals). I think quite likely it could be Miki Ando fans who largely seemed to think Miki could waltz right back and take old Suzuki's spot on the team no problem, and instead Miki had to compose herself and skate after Suzuki all but shut the door on her making the team before her long program even began. Who knows really, but I highly doubt it would be Yu Na fans unless they are a far more paranoid and bizarre group of individuals than I imagined.

    I dont see any real skating fan could dislike that though. It was an exceptional performance and is probably the best moment in figure skating in years from an emotional standpoint.

  14. #14
    Custom Title mirai4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    812
    Definitely Mao fans who hit the dislike button.

    Yuna fans aint got time for Akiko.

  15. #15
    Columnist
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    348
    Not every fanatic must be bad, quite the opposite actually

    If I look at myself there then I see someone who spends a lot of money on events, who loves sports just as much as he likes music. While others build their second home, I still travel around the world to every type of competition in sports that I can afford.

    Lots of people in my family or neighborhood keep asking me why I do it and if I am not a bit nuts

    Truth is, I might be nuts - but I also don't want to change what I am doing. Music & Sports are very important to me and therefore I don't mind sitting at the ice rink for 16 hours a day, to travel for 10 hours just because of a gig etc. Its what I love and like doing and yes its fanatic, but its also a big part of my life

    You have people like me quite often in sports. I know a group of people called the "fanatics", those appear at several events and are like an Australian travelling group of thousands of members now. Such people we need at sports in my opinion, people who are just more into it than neutral "fans".

    That said, hardly anyone of those or other groups are bad people and would insult other athlete´s etc. Those that do these type of things, are usually not really those that go to Events or actually get in touch with athlete´s, musicians etc. They only sit at home in most cases and have nothing better to do than hitting a button below a video :D

    Sadly, there are some people who really are rude no doubt about it, but I would probably call that type of "anti fan" a typical "Hater" and those you find a lot at the Internet.

    I absolutely understand that it can hurt a skater if she or he see´s so many dislikes, just like it can hurt a skater if you talk bad about her body measurements or other particular things. That's why I always try to stay away from these type of things, due respect to the athlete.

    But again, if someone talks about these things then he isn't a bad person either, most people just don't realize that these things can actually hurt someone.

    Maybe you must be in public yourself to understand it better, but it also depends a lot of your origin. We have to keep in mind that the earth has about 206 different states, that's a lot of culture and a lot of individuality. People talk and judge differently, whats totally normal in one country, can be totally inappropriate at another.

    However, I wouldn't make the mistake and call out a group of fans no matter if Yuna, Ando or who else was mentioned here. Every fanbase can consist of such people, but that doesn't make the whole fanbase bad either.

    Its just that you remember negativity more than positivity.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •