Fan vs Fanatic | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Fan vs Fanatic

Alex D

Record Breaker
Not every fanatic must be bad, quite the opposite actually ;)

If I look at myself there then I see someone who spends a lot of money on events, who loves sports just as much as he likes music. While others build their second home, I still travel around the world to every type of competition in sports that I can afford.

Lots of people in my family or neighborhood keep asking me why I do it and if I am not a bit nuts ;)

Truth is, I might be nuts - but I also don't want to change what I am doing. Music & Sports are very important to me and therefore I don't mind sitting at the ice rink for 16 hours a day, to travel for 10 hours just because of a gig etc. Its what I love and like doing and yes its fanatic, but its also a big part of my life ;)

You have people like me quite often in sports. I know a group of people called the "fanatics", those appear at several events and are like an Australian travelling group of thousands of members now. Such people we need at sports in my opinion, people who are just more into it than neutral "fans".

That said, hardly anyone of those or other groups are bad people and would insult other athlete´s etc. Those that do these type of things, are usually not really those that go to Events or actually get in touch with athlete´s, musicians etc. They only sit at home in most cases and have nothing better to do than hitting a button below a video :D

Sadly, there are some people who really are rude no doubt about it, but I would probably call that type of "anti fan" a typical "Hater" and those you find a lot at the Internet.

I absolutely understand that it can hurt a skater if she or he see´s so many dislikes, just like it can hurt a skater if you talk bad about her body measurements or other particular things. That's why I always try to stay away from these type of things, due respect to the athlete.

But again, if someone talks about these things then he isn't a bad person either, most people just don't realize that these things can actually hurt someone.

Maybe you must be in public yourself to understand it better, but it also depends a lot of your origin. We have to keep in mind that the earth has about 206 different states, that's a lot of culture and a lot of individuality. People talk and judge differently, whats totally normal in one country, can be totally inappropriate at another.

However, I wouldn't make the mistake and call out a group of fans no matter if Yuna, Ando or who else was mentioned here. Every fanbase can consist of such people, but that doesn't make the whole fanbase bad either.

Its just that you remember negativity more than positivity.

RABID

Final Flight
Not every fanatic must be bad, quite the opposite actually ;)

If I look at myself there then I see someone who spends a lot of money on events, who loves sports just as much as he likes music. While others build their second home, I still travel around the world to every type of competition in sports that I can afford.

Lots of people in my family or neighborhood keep asking me why I do it and if I am not a bit nuts ;)

Truth is, I might be nuts - but I also don't want to change what I am doing. Music & Sports are very important to me and therefore I don't mind sitting at the ice rink for 16 hours a day, to travel for 10 hours just because of a gig etc. Its what I love and like doing and yes its fanatic, but its also a big part of my life ;)

You have people like me quite often in sports. I know a group of people called the "fanatics", those appear at several events and are like an Australian travelling group of thousands of members now. Such people we need at sports in my opinion, people who are just more into it than neutral "fans".

That said, hardly anyone of those or other groups are bad people and would insult other athlete´s etc. Those that do these type of things, are usually not really those that go to Events or actually get in touch with athlete´s, musicians etc. They only sit at home in most cases and have nothing better to do than hitting a button below a video :D

Sadly, there are some people who really are rude no doubt about it, but I would probably call that type of "anti fan" a typical "Hater" and those you find a lot at the Internet.

I absolutely understand that it can hurt a skater if she or he see´s so many dislikes, just like it can hurt a skater if you talk bad about her body measurements or other particular things. That's why I always try to stay away from these type of things, due respect to the athlete.

But again, if someone talks about these things then he isn't a bad person either, most people just don't realize that these things can actually hurt someone.

Maybe you must be in public yourself to understand it better, but it also depends a lot of your origin. We have to keep in mind that the earth has about 206 different states, that's a lot of culture and a lot of individuality. People talk and judge differently, whats totally normal in one country, can be totally inappropriate at another.

However, I wouldn't make the mistake and call out a group of fans no matter if Yuna, Ando or who else was mentioned here. Every fanbase can consist of such people, but that doesn't make the whole fanbase bad either.

Its just that you remember negativity more than positivity.

If it was up to me this ^ would be the final word. Well said, Alex D. :)

minze

Medalist
Definitely Mao fans who hit the dislike button.

Yuna fans aint got time for Akiko.

Definetly. No doubt about it. Without question. :laugh: When you write in such absolutes you should back it up with proof @mirai4life. Your comment sounds like somwthing a fanatic will write under Akiko's video.

yuki90

On the Ice
Actually, There are so many haters of Akiko in Japan. There are a bunch of threads of Anti-akiko in 2ch blaming that she is overscored.

Usually they are Mao's die hard fans, even in the Mao's fan thread they are bashing Akiko when she got 214 score at JP Nats.

There are so many terrible comments like she's ugly, her line is not beautiful etc.

Akiko haters even made a nickname of her ‘Suzuki-Yona' to make fun of her.(Yona is Kim’s Japanese name)

Crystallize

On the Ice
Definitely Mao fans who hit the dislike button.

Yuna fans aint got time for Akiko.

You are in total denial if you think none of Yuna's fans have been going on Akiko's videos. Not all of Yuna's fans are the same. How are you speaking for all of them? :laugh:

Ooh, we're talking about linguistics? Great, I love linguistics.

Korean is actually considered by many linguists to be a language isolate, which means that it is unrelated to any other language today, including Japanese. It's actually pretty amazing to think about, especially when you consider that most other language isolates out there are either dead or in danger of dying. Korean, with over 70 million (?) speakers, has more than every other language isolate combined.

That said, some people have proposed that Korean is actually related to the Altaic languages, which would include Japanese. But no definite connection has been established; I believe that Korean is still officially considered an isolate at this point.

Korean did borrow a lot of words from Chinese, and I'd be interested in knowing whether Japan's previous imperialism/colonization of Korea had any effect on the language.

I'm always fascinated by this topic. Going by my experience with Indo-European languages (most of the European languages plus Sanskrit and I think Farsi), I would guess that judging two languages' relationship by finding loan words or common vocabulary might not always work out. If there's a culturally dominant language in a region, it tends to influence vocabulary formation in nearby languages without necessarily sharing any linguistic relationship. For example, Arabic is so dominant, partly because of Islam, that Turkish and Persian (Farsi) contain many Arabic words, and indeed Farsi is written using Arabic letters as its base. Ironically Hebrew is a lot more closely related to Arabic than Farsi is. Turkish used to be written with Arabic lettering as well, until Ataturk decreed that it should be written in the Roman alphabet. So I'd suspect that Chinese languages heavily influenced other languages in the region without necessarily being related to them.

I love the story of the Hangul alphabet! Supposedly King Sejong realized that learning the Chinese writing system was so complex (with thousands of symbols) that only people with a lot of leisure time could learn it--in other words, members of the nobility. He worked with scholars to devise a simpler writing system that anyone could learn, even farmers and laborers, and this was the Hangul. For a long time there was even a national holiday devoted to commemorating the Hangul. That is so cool! (I think the holiday still exists but isn't considered major any longer.)

As for Japanese fans who don't like Akiko, they don't know what they're missing. I adore Mao Asada, but there is something about Akiko that is different from every other skater. Her smoothness, her strength, and her heart make her a delight to watch. Neither skater detracts from the other (or from YuNa). I think Japan is so lucky to have two such sterling skaters at one time. I'm only sorry that they'll probably both bow out of competitive skating this year. I hope they remain in show skating! Imagine what innovative programs they could come up with.

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
Japanese is also considered a language isolate!
I think right now it's classified as being part of the Japonic language family, although for a while it was considered an isolate as well. But I'm admittedly not as well versed on that, so I just got that from Wikipedia, haha.

I love the story of the Hangul alphabet! Supposedly King Sejong realized that learning the Chinese writing system was so complex (with thousands of symbols) that only people with a lot of leisure time could learn it--in other words, members of the nobility. He worked with scholars to devise a simpler writing system that anyone could learn, even farmers and laborers, and this was the Hangul. For a long time there was even a national holiday devoted to commemorating the Hangul. That is so cool!
Yeah, I love that, the way he was working for the good of the common people. I can't imagine that it made Sejong too popular with members of the elite class!