Fan vs Fanatic | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Fan vs Fanatic

Puchi

On the Ice
Akiko: Mom, my best performance ever got a bunch of dislikes and nasty comments on youtube!

Mom: Wow, congratulations, sweetie!

Akiko: ???

Mom: You finally made it to the top.

CarneAsada

Medalist
Akiko: Mom, my best performance ever got a bunch of dislikes and nasty comments on youtube!

:laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

:rolleye:
Well, Caro didn't skate bad at 2008 Worlds AT ALL! She wasn't perfect, but she landed a clean and difficult 3-3 in both programs, didn't fall/pop and made only a couple of major mistakes
And, Patrick's gold in 2011 was obtained with two almost-perfect programs, with only one mistakes out of 11 jumps
Caro's 2010 Worlds weren't exactly terrible either. She wasn't the greatest, but she wasn't terrible by any means. And her 2010 Olympics FS has been removed from YouTube. :biggrin:

Gigi13

On the Ice

lol I died from laughter, so I'm more of fan than a fanatic, I don't go and put my favorite skaters on a pedestal and trash on all the other skaters, I know my favs have imperfections and have off days but don't go on Youtube and trash about other skaters to make he or she look better.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Hmmm, if you are expecting serious fans to comment on your favorite skater on a public forum such as Youtube, then you must realize not everyone commenting there is a figure skating fan for starters. They may no nothing about figure skating. It would be like me trying to give favorable comments about a hockey player or game. My knowledge of hockey is pretty limited. I don't read the comments people make on youtube about any entertainer or skater and if I do I ignore the ignorant ones. Just enjoy watching your favorite skater and don't take youtube comments too seriously.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hmmm, if you are expecting serious fans to comment on your favorite skater on a public forum such as Youtube, then you must realize not everyone commenting there is a figure skating fan for starters. They may no nothing about figure skating. It would be like me trying to give favorable comments about a hockey player or game. My knowledge of hockey is pretty limited. I don't read the comments people make on youtube about any entertainer or skater and if I do I ignore the ignorant ones. Just enjoy watching your favorite skater and don't take youtube comments too seriously.

I see what you're saying, but to play devil's advocate: It is very unlikely that a non-fan would check a figure skating video. As Doris has posted in the past the top viewed figure skating video is Starr Andrews (good luck to her at Nationals. :) ) skating to "I Whip My Hair" and one involving a costume malfunction.

There is no reason for Akiko Suzuki's Japanese Nationals video to be viewed by a nonfan or the public. At 295k views, it's hardly gone viral. So I don't think it's a stretch to say the majority of people commenting are fans of either 1.) a certain skater or 2.) skating in general.

But your'e right, it's not worth getting worked up over the dislikes...but I wanted to point out it's a bit disheartening to see, as Frenchie pointed out.

treeloving

Medalist
I know that's not what you were expecting.

However, I would say on the nice <---------> mean scale, someone disliking a video is somewhat less mean than accusing that same person with "trying to get to" someone or whacking knees.

Besides, what does Akiko care? She's the reigning Japanese champ, and one of the favorites to medal in Sochi. I think you're being a little silly to think she'd be fazed by what someone on Youtube says.

Have you read the comments? It full of hate speech calling her appearance not her skating ugly, whether Akiko care or not it is still horrible.

Robeye

Final Flight
Have you read the comments? It full of hate speech calling her appearance not her skating ugly, whether Akiko care or not it is still horrible.
I agree that they are malicious imbeciles, and ought to be publicly shamed, if that were possible.

The unfortunate thing about Youtube, though, is that it's not only anonymous, but there is very little community or moderating, it appears to me. It's the perfect environment for trolling, in other words.

It's like complaining about elevated crime in densely populated urban areas, where people don't know or care about passers-by, and the police are almost never visible.

Caveat emptor. And let's try not to recapitulate Youtube's faults in our cozier community on GS, over which we collectively have a greater capacity to direct and influence.

RABID

Final Flight
looks like Yuna's FS has considerable dislikes too : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsNGUOdzag
so Mao and Suzuki arent the only ones, maybe payback from their fans for Suzuki's and Mao dislikes

most common word: dirty JPN money, hater

For the most part it's "the cost of doing business" but it still riles me up when someone like that /\ uses YuNa as his/her's avatar. It's offensive in the extreme to have someone associate such a humanitarian or any person of good character with such tribal ugliness. :mad:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Most of the awful comments under YuNa's FS are from the Koreans. I guess they will never like Mao, nor any other skater. These fans make YuNa look bad. No wonder she has a huge entourage, body guard flotilla. Unhinged fanatics must chase her everywhere. It is too bad she broke with Orser, or the mother more accurately. Canada was clearly a place where she was free to be herself, and skated her best years. I am shocked, but then when I see the behavior of the "mob" on GS and how pushy...I guess nothing surprises me. Perhaps it is for the best the retirements coming soon.:no:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Most of the awful comments under YuNa's FS are from the Koreans. I guess they will never like Mao, nor any other skater. These fans make YuNa look bad. No wonder she has a huge entourage, body guard flotilla. Unhinged fanatics must chase her everywhere. It is too bad she broke with Orser, or the mother more accurately. Canada was clearly a place where she was free to be herself, and skated her best years. I am shocked, but then when I see the behavior of the "mob" on GS and how pushy...I guess nothing surprises me. Perhaps it is for the best the retirements coming soon.:no:

with so many comments with the word "JPN" under Yuna's FS
I think its more of an ethnic slur

cooper

Medalist

now we are "the mob" here in goldenskate..we've been accused as bullies.. ubers.. stupid.. by you.. and yet here you are again.. generalizing everything..

i don't know why some are tolerating this kind of behavior.. :disapp:

CarneAsada

Medalist
now we are "the mob" here in goldenskate..we've been accused as bullies.. ubers.. stupid.. by you.. and yet here you are again.. generalizing everything..

i don't know why some are tolerating this kind of behavior.. :disapp:
Well I think you, YunaBliss, and Krislite in particular are very classy and never nasty about other skaters. If that makes you feel any better. :biggrin:

Jewels

On the Ice
Not all Yuna fans are like that, and those nasty comments are not by real figure skating fans, but those who just go around looking for fights. As a Korean, I'm very ashamed of those people, but it's probably because of the Korean press, they just bring every nasty and stupid things Japanese press and journalists have said about Yuna and publish them as articles. Anyway there are tons of Japanese saying bad things about Yuna too, so don't say like we Koreans are all ill-mannered people, it's starting to irritate me. At least here at GS, I've never seen anyone that inappropriate. Have you ever thought about your posts and comments carefully? To me they are wayyyy more pushy.:rolleye:

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Not all Yuna fans are like that, and those nasty comments are not by real figure skating fans, but those who just go around looking for fights. As a Korean, I'm very ashamed of those people, but it's probably because of the Korean press, they just bring every nasty and stupid things Japanese press and journalists have said about Yuna and publish them as articles. Anyway there are tons of Japanese saying bad things about Yuna too, so don't say like we Koreans are all ill-mannered people, it's starting to irritate me. At least here at GS, I've never seen anyone that inappropriate. Have you ever thought about your posts and comments carefully? To me they are wayyyy more pushy.:rolleye:

Hi Jewels!
When I started this thread, I was honestly curious as to why the Yu-Na - Mao rivaly had gotten such a negative spin over the years. (for some, not for all)
I know that noone should generalize. I'm both French and German, so I know about historically based animosity between 2 countries. Since you are Korean, would you mind telling a bit about your take on the role the media play in all this? Any Korean or Japanese member is encouraged to add their 2 cents - as long as we can agree to be civil.
I know there are "serious media" and "tabloids". That's the same everywhere. Would you say that, in Korea,
a) Serious Media (news on big tv channel, big newspaper,...) are very much goading the viewers, like what I'd consider a tabloid would be doing in Europe?
b) Tabloids have more impact on the population, even if the serious media are more politically correct and cautious about not fuelling resentment?
c) both!
d) none of the above!
Same question for Japan.

I'd say it's politically correct for the French not to think or say hateful things directed towards the Germans. The media are playing their part in not fuelling any such thoughts. I don't know how much insight you as a Korean have into European media and so on, but if you can compare, would you say the media in Korea and Japan don't feel they should try and contribute to peacening the relations between both countries as much? Is fuelling said animosity just viewed as an easy, reliable way to get big viewing figures?

I realize this subject can be explosive. I regretted ever posting this thread after a few days since all I wanted to say was pretty much "I'm sad for seeing Akiko Suzuki's JN LP have 700 likes and 700 dislikes". I didn't want to pinpoint any special group for massively clicking the dislike button, and I just thought the Yu-Na - Mao rivaly -of which I had heard, read and seen a lot over the years, like with said ugly videos saying things like "nobody likes her, look!" "she's so ugly!" and so on- might be another example of some fans going too far.
I didn't want to imply that the relations between Korea and Japan had anything to do with that youtube rating, but I just put "I'm aware of the hostile past between Japan and Korea." as an acknowledgement of one possible ingredient.
I realized when I saw the direction this thread had taken that some formulations of mine were very naive of me. :eek::

I just felt like I could do with a nice "happy feeling" moment and decided to treat myself with watching Akiko Suzuki's recent Nationals FS on youtube again. Yup, that makes me smile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgLvbzDQsM
The mood I was hoping for didn't settle in because I unfortunately noticed the "like / dislike" count. Currently, it's 703 like and 697 dislike.
Not only did I not get my happy smile, I actually feel a lump in my throat now at the notion that fragile little Akiko might learn of that. :frown: (insert "I wanna throw up" smilie here)
I noticed over the past years of the Mao vs Yu-Na rivalry how there were (imo disgusting) people who made it their hobby / borderline full-time job to post youtube videos, not to show how great their idol is, but to smear the opponent. Say she's ugly, has no talent, is overrated, nobody likes her, she eats little children for breakfast (I haven't come across this one, but I'm sure there is somewhere), etc.
Really disgusting stuff.
It felt so wrong to me, and just plain alien to what "being a fan" means to me, that I couldn't really process this and kind of moved on to other things.

I'm aware that my notion of "being a fan" doesn't have to apply to everybody else.
I'm aware that some fans become really fanatic about supporting their idol.
I'm aware of the hostile past between Japan and Korea.
I can - to a certain degree - understand the frustration of feeling one's idol not being recognized enough, like saying: "my idol has the best spins." It's another thing to say "look at his/her opponent's spin, it's so ugly and got too many points". I can understand saying this on a forum like this one.
But how does all that other stuff happen? The extreme stuff?
I hope we can discuss this serious subject in a respectful way, I'd really like to learn more about it. Thanks! :agree:

Krislite

Medalist
[...]

There is no reason for Akiko Suzuki's Japanese Nationals video to be viewed by a nonfan or the public. At 295k views, it's hardly gone viral. So I don't think it's a stretch to say the majority of people commenting are fans of either 1.) a certain skater or 2.) skating in general.

I would disagree in this case. Figure skating videos in general are mostly watched by real fans of the sport. However, in the case of the intense rivalry between Korea and Japan, I would imagine there are plenty of nationalistic zealots who take pure advantage of the situation and use their athletes to demonstrate their superiority over another country and disparage them. I've seen this behavior in other sports, especially in the most popular ones. I wouldn't be surprised if those so-called "fans" are only "fans" not because they like and appreciate their favorite skater, but because this great skater so happens to be of the same nationality.

I never really got this mentality. I don't root for the home team just because they're my home team, and belittle their rivals just because they're from another state/country/city. If I take no interest in the sport I couldn't care less if they were National/Worlds/Olympic champion and born in my city. I've always felt a bit oddly out of place in certain social events because I'm not a hardcore fan of the home team or my alma mater's football team. It's the same thing with college football or the NFL. I work at a university and it's pretty awkward when I get asked about our team's recent games and I give a blank stare. :laugh:

As for Akiko's YouTube video, personally I'm baffled by the response. The most I could make out of it is that Akiko has won enemies now that she's on top, but has not gotten enough fan support yet to counter it. Have you guys not realized that 700 out of 295K views is only 0.2% of the total views? Sure the ratio of thumbs up to down is very low, but that's because of the 295k only a few clicked the thumbs up rating. That to me suggests what I've already mentioned--not that there is substantial "hate" for Akiko from so-called "Yuna fans"--but that those nationalistic zealots have swarmed her YouTube video while a smaller fan base has left her more vulnerable.

mikeko666

Final Flight
As for Akiko's YouTube video, personally I'm baffled by the response. The most I could make out of it is that Akiko has won enemies now that she's on top, but has not gotten enough fan support yet to counter it. Have you guys not realized that 700 out of 295K views is only 0.2% of the total views? Sure the ratio of thumbs up to down is very low, but that's because of the 295k only a few clicked the thumbs up rating. That to me suggests what I've already mentioned--not that there is substantial "hate" for Akiko from so-called "Yuna fans"--but that those nationalistic zealots have swarmed her YouTube video while a smaller fan base has left her more vulnerable.

Leaving Suzuki more vulnerable? I don't think so. I guess her fans are more mature and intelligent. It's total waste of time dealing with those idiotic "nationalistic zealots" who are giving Korea a bad name in public.

If you understand Japanese, you will find remarks from Asada fans as nasty as those comments by Koreans on Youtube. This is nothing new to Suzuki, really. Basically Maobots and Yuna fans are really alike.

Jewels

On the Ice
Hi Jewels!
When I started this thread, I was honestly curious as to why the Yu-Na - Mao rivaly had gotten such a negative spin over the years. (for some, not for all)
I know that noone should generalize. I'm both French and German, so I know about historically based animosity between 2 countries. Since you are Korean, would you mind telling a bit about your take on the role the media play in all this? Any Korean or Japanese member is encouraged to add their 2 cents - as long as we can agree to be civil.
I know there are "serious media" and "tabloids". That's the same everywhere. Would you say that, in Korea,
a) Serious Media (news on big tv channel, big newspaper,...) are very much goading the viewers, like what I'd consider a tabloid would be doing in Europe?
b) Tabloids have more impact on the population, even if the serious media are more politically correct and cautious about not fuelling resentment?
c) both!
d) none of the above!
Same question for Japan.

I'd say it's politically correct for the French not to think or say hateful things directed towards the Germans. The media are playing their part in not fuelling any such thoughts. I don't know how much insight you as a Korean have into European media and so on, but if you can compare, would you say the media in Korea and Japan don't feel they should try and contribute to peacening the relations between both countries as much? Is fuelling said animosity just viewed as an easy, reliable way to get big viewing figures?

I realize this subject can be explosive. I regretted ever posting this thread after a few days since all I wanted to say was pretty much "I'm sad for seeing Akiko Suzuki's JN LP have 700 likes and 700 dislikes". I didn't want to pinpoint any special group for massively clicking the dislike button, and I just thought the Yu-Na - Mao rivaly -of which I had heard, read and seen a lot over the years, like with said ugly videos saying things like "nobody likes her, look!" "she's so ugly!" and so on- might be another example of some fans going too far.
I didn't want to imply that the relations between Korea and Japan had anything to do with that youtube rating, but I just put "I'm aware of the hostile past between Japan and Korea." as an acknowledgement of one possible ingredient.
I realized when I saw the direction this thread had taken that some formulations of mine were very naive of me. :eek::

I hope we can discuss this serious subject in a respectful way, I'd really like to learn more about it. Thanks! :agree:

Hello Frenchie:) Well, that's a hard question. On every topic, there are always some exaggerating news to draw more people's interests, and I think most people are able to comprehend those, but there can be some people who get irrational. And the medias.....they don't show any hatred directly, but they don't particularly try to make things peaceful either. About Yuna-Mao, I think Krislite is right, it's a nationality thing I guess, Japan vs Korea things always become issues, not just figure skating, but on every other subjects as well. And there are always some over-excited people mistaking themselves as 'fans'. When Yuna was resting in 2012, there were so many bad comments about her criticizing that she is doing too much modeling in ads while doing nothing, and should just retire. And now they've changed their words and compliments fill the article reviews. None of them are true fans of figure skating or Yuna. Same for the comments on Akiko's Youtube video. I've read their comments, and clearly, they don't know anything about figure skating. They are just using the sport that's all.(And I assume all the nasty comments from Japan are the same)

Personally I don't have anything against Japanese people, I have several Japanese friends, and they are all very nice and kind. There are many Koreans who like Japanese culture and I heard Japanese do too. I really really wish we could be more friendly countries, it's bad for both to be hostile to each other.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
With all due respect, I find it hard to believe the majority of dislikes are from Yu Na fans. As much as I love Akiko, I cant imagine any sane Yu Na fan who has ever viewed Suzuki as a rival of any kind to Kim, or one now either. I am shocked at the high number of dislikes though. I think if anything it would more likely be upset Mao fans who are shocked with how Nationals went down. It could be neutral fans who dont like the score (which is stupid given the inflated Nationals scoring from every country, she certainly deserved a higher score than either Julia or Adelina got at Russian Nationals). I think quite likely it could be Miki Ando fans who largely seemed to think Miki could waltz right back and take old Suzuki's spot on the team no problem, and instead Miki had to compose herself and skate after Suzuki all but shut the door on her making the team before her long program even began. Who knows really, but I highly doubt it would be Yu Na fans unless they are a far more paranoid and bizarre group of individuals than I imagined.

I dont see any real skating fan could dislike that though. It was an exceptional performance and is probably the best moment in figure skating in years from an emotional standpoint.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Btw, how can someone not like Akiko's programs from Nationals, these are the best skates I ve seen lately, choreography, musicality, the costumes and Akiko's personal artistry and joy, I love every second of them.