Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fan vs Fanatic

Custom Title
    I'm surprised to learn about the dislike count on that Suzuki video, for one of the finest skates of her career. I seriously doubt the dislikes came from Korea. Actually, Korean fans who were following the Japanese nationals were mostly happy to see Suzuki win her first national title in her final season and get some redemption for what she swallowed at 2012 NHK Trophy. Possibly could it be some Asada fans being unhappy to see her season winning streak interrupted with Suzuki garnering the highest score ever recorded in their nationals?

Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Once Yuna retires, we'll lose the entire country of Korea as a fanbase. They don't like figure skating in general, not really, just the personality/celebrity of Yuna Kim. Maybe I'll be proved wrong.
    No doubt many Koreans with casual interest will stop following the sport after she retires. But that sort of things happen everywhere and in every sport when a big mega star calls it quits, no? It happened in the U.S. and elsewhere before.

I think a substantial figure skating fan base has been established in Korea during Kim's career. So I think your statement that they don't like figure skating is partially incorrect and over-generalizing. Figure skating, its elements and scoring system have become familiar for many Koreans, and there is a substantial number of Korean fans now who follow other elite male and female skaters and pair/dance teams. They will follow the sport, if not as intensely as before. That they do have some promising young single skaters and dance teams, and that Kim will continue hosting her ATS shows, will help too.

Custard Title
    It could be overzealous fans of Asada or Kim, but I doubt it's from fans of the former for the reason that Asada's fans on YouTube can't even keep the number of likes higher than the dislikes on her own videos sometimes . Plus Japan has its own version of YouTube, nicovideo, while I am unaware of any Korean equivalent. Kim's fans on the other hand are much better at ensuring there are many more likes than dislikes on her videos. I guess it is also possible that the dislikes are coming from überfans of Kanako Murakami or Miki Ando, who were also beaten by Suzuki.

Custom Title
    Why would Korean fans be overzealous about the outcome of Japanese nationals, about Suzuki beating Asada or vice versa? Doesn't make sense to me. As said, most Korean fans were generally moved by Suzuki finally winning her first national title in her final season.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    OK everyone.
    I guess I didn't expect this to turn into a whodunnit. But thanks for the input anyway.
    Just to be clear: as I said, "I don't even want to suspect or fingerpoint at any particular fanbase for now having found a new target in Akiko".
    I guess I didn't predict the volatile potential of starting such a thread. I'll stick with answering to threads in the future.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    OK everyone.
    I guess I didn't expect this to turn into a whodunnit. But thanks for the input anyway.
    Just to be clear: as I said, "I don't even want to suspect or fingerpoint at any particular fanbase for now having found a new target in Akiko".
    I guess I didn't predict the volatile potential of starting such a thread. I'll stick with answering to threads in the future.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the thread you started. It's no surprise by now that people get emotional about skating and about particular skaters, for all sorts of reasons, and what's wrong with discussing that? When one sees the down votes and especially some of the comments, it's hard to keep in mind that we're all just words onscreen and have no power over the skaters themselves. They're kind of busy right now.

I understand your distress. The first time I read a really scathing, vituperative (love that word!) negative comment (not just a "dislike" vote) was under a video of Michelle. I was shocked at the forcefulness of the comment; it called her a name I can't repeat, which I can't imagine applying to any skater, and it basically cursed her entire career. I was unsettled for quite some time. But then I realized that this is not a worthwhile comment even to read. There are a lot of people out there who enjoy the anonymity of the Web and use it to say the most malicious things, whether out of jealousy, a misguided sense of rivalry in support of another skater, or just a wish to shock people who might read their words. Wash their thoughts from your mind. They have nothing to do with skating. If you pin your personal enjoyment on a hope that these people will change, you're giving complete strangers rent-free space in your mind.

Custom Title
    And whether people like it or not, I have seen rather a lot of comments on Japanese, Chinese and Korean skater videos that are racially motivated from people of any of the three countries. They abuse each other quite roundly.

And there are homophobic trolls or religious trolls that post nasty comments on every video of male figure skaters, particularly Americans; they also dislike the videos. It's an unfortunate fact.

Play with the trolls, but don't take them seriously; some people are just *******s.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 01-03-2014 at 11:37 AM.

Custom Title
    OK everyone.
    Well, that sounds a bit irresponsible to me. It was you who needlessly mentioned Kim-Asada fan war in your original post while discussing a video of Suzuki competing at nationals, which really has nothing to with Kim-Asada thing.

Couldn't it be some overzealous Asada fans for now having found a new target in Suzuki (using your phrase) since she beat Asada at their nationals, with the score higher than anything Asada has earned so far in their nationals or internationally?

So many dislikes of a good performance only mean that The skater is really good and some fans of other skater are afraid of her. So Akiko shouldn't feel bad, she is on The top three of The world. Fans given dislikes to that kind of performances are ridiculous.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    It seems to me that Mao fans are hitting the dislike button, for getting a score that even Mao never got. As said already, Yuna fans have no interest in this.
    That's funny considering that one video of Akiko's performance had some people in the comments raving about how Akiko was so much better than Mao, but definitely not better than Yuna. So no, quite a few of Yuna's fans did have interest, no matter what you say. lol.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by thinspread View Post
    Why would Korean fans be overzealous about the outcome of Japanese nationals, about Suzuki beating Asada or vice versa? Doesn't make sense to me. As said, most Korean fans were generally moved by Suzuki finally winning her first national title in her final season.
    Read those comments using Google translation. Some of them made by Korean users are not nice. They are not only criticizing her FS score but also her appearance. Of course, there are some nice comments by Koreans. Kim fans have generally been nice to Suzuki, and were especially sympathetic to her when she lost 2012 NHK to Asada, until the Nationals when they realized that she could be a threat to Kim in Sochi if she can repeat the performance.

Asada fans were really nice to Suzuki four years ago when she was no threat to Asada. Suzuki only received junior level PCS back then. It completely changed two years ago when Suzuki beat Asada at NHK.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    Read those comments using Google translation. Some of them made by Korean users are not nice. They are not only criticizing her FS score but also her appearance. Of course, there are some nice comments by Koreans. Kim fans have generally been nice to Suzuki, and were especially sympathetic to her when she lost 2012 NHK to Asada, until the Nationals when they realized that she could be a threat to Kim in Sochi if she can repeat the performance.

Asada fans were really nice to Suzuki four years ago when she was no threat to Asada. Suzuki only received junior level PCS back then. It completely changed two years ago when Suzuki beat Asada at NHK.
    That sounds pretty fair. I haven't bothered to peruse the comments on that Suzuki video. So I'll take your words as true. There are nasty people on every side. But yes, I think it's true Korean fans are generally fond of Suzuki. Skating fans around me are, too.

Custom Title
    I think there is definitely a distinction between a fan and a fanatic--the fanatics seem to think that putting down a rival skater is ok, while the fans focus on following and cheering the skating and life of the skater(s) whose fans they are. Fans often like other skaters, too, and love the sport in general--I'm not sure that the fanatics actually like skating so much...

The fanatics seem to thrive on throwing themselves into a discussion about the rival skater(s) (lots of examples on this and other skating forums, unfortunately), and can get really nasty. They also tend not be able to take any critique of the skater(s) whose fans they are--whether justified or not--and presume that any critique is a personal attack on that/those skater(s).

Then there are, of course, skating fans who never have anything positive to say about certain skaters, not necessarily because they are rivals of a skater/skaters they like, but because they for some reason do not like that particular skater (and this may have little to do with the skating and more to do with the personality or style of that skater). I don't get this either. Criticize the judging, politicking, the skater's technique, musicality, or performance, etc., but could we please stop calling a skater "ugly", "fat", "too effeminate", etc.? There should be room in the skating world for skaters of different looks, styles, energy, and personality--the differences just make the sport more interesting, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I think there is definitely a distinction between a fan and a fanatic--the fanatics seem to think that putting down a rival skater is ok, while the fans focus on following and cheering the skating and life of the skater(s) whose fans they are. Fans often like other skaters, too, and love the sport in general--I'm not sure that the fanatics actually like skating so much...

The fanatics seem to thrive on throwing themselves into a discussion about the rival skater(s) (lots of examples on this and other skating forums, unfortunately), and can get really nasty. They also tend not be able to take any critique of the skater(s) whose fans they are--whether justified or not--and presume that any critique is a personal attack on that/those skater(s).

Then there are, of course, skating fans who never have anything positive to say about certain skaters, not necessarily because they are rivals of a skater/skaters they like, but because they for some reason do not like that particular skater (and this may have little to do with the skating and more to do with the personality or style of that skater). I don't get this either. Criticize the judging, politicking, the skater's technique, musicality, or performance, etc., but could we please stop calling a skater "ugly", "fat", "too effeminate", etc.? There should be room in the skating world for skaters of different looks, styles, energy, and personality--the differences just make the sport more interesting, imo.
    Well said

Custom Title
    Real question (because I am in some ways a knucklehead when it comes to the finer points of social media): what happens if a Youtube video gets a lot of dislikes? Anything?

On Topic: these "dislikers" annoy me greatly. Anonymous judging strikes again. This was one of the highlight performances of the season thus far, and I am glad that Akiko is finally getting the recognition she deserves.

Nevertheless, I don't believe it is very useful to "guess" the profile of the miscreants. Are they Maobots who fear Akiko's usurpation of the Japan #1 slot? Are they Yunabots who feel that Akiko's scores don't deserve to be that close to Yuna's? Maybe even Juliabots and Adelinabots and Carobots who see Akiko's score as a clear and present danger to their girls' podium chances? So many possible perpetrators, such tantalizing motives, but no smoking guns and so little time, my dear Watson. In the absence of verifiable facts, such speculations probably reveal more about the prejudices and anxieties of the speculators themselves than anything else.

I just felt like I could do with a nice "happy feeling" moment and decided to treat myself with watching Akiko Suzuki's recent Nationals FS on youtube again. Yup, that makes me smile.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVgLvbzDQsM
    The mood I was hoping for didn't settle in because I unfortunately noticed the "like / dislike" count. Currently, it's 703 like and 697 dislike.
    Not only did I not get my happy smile, I actually feel a lump in my throat now at the notion that fragile little Akiko might learn of that. (insert "I wanna throw up" smilie here)
    I noticed over the past years of the Mao vs Yu-Na rivalry how there were (imo disgusting) people who made it their hobby / borderline full-time job to post youtube videos, not to show how great their idol is, but to smear the opponent. Say she's ugly, has no talent, is overrated, nobody likes her, she eats little children for breakfast (I haven't come across this one, but I'm sure there is somewhere), etc.
    Really disgusting stuff.
    It felt so wrong to me, and just plain alien to what "being a fan" means to me, that I couldn't really process this and kind of moved on to other things.

I'm aware that my notion of "being a fan" doesn't have to apply to everybody else.
    I'm aware that some fans become really fanatic about supporting their idol.
    I'm aware of the hostile past between Japan and Korea.
    I can - to a certain degree - understand the frustration of feeling one's idol not being recognized enough, like saying: "my idol has the best spins." It's another thing to say "look at his/her opponent's spin, it's so ugly and got too many points". I can understand saying this on a forum like this one.
    But how does all that other stuff happen? The extreme stuff?

I don't even want to suspect or fingerpoint at any particular fanbase for now having found a new target in Akiko, but I guess having 700 dislikes for that performance doesn't come from 700 people disliking that performance, but rather them prefering another one, or - let's face it - trying to get to her.
    Yeah, let's hit on her knee with a steel pole! Sorry, but to me, if some fanbase actively decided to do that, then it's just as malicious.

Any comments? Explanations?
    Maybe one of the 697 who clicked on "dislike" and would like to open a line of communication?
    As well as being a fan of YuNa's I am also a fan of Angelina Jolie. The same dysfunction surrounding YuNa and Mao applies there as well. The predominant conversations amongst fans on certain discussion boards seems to be about insulting other stars. Celebrating the actual woman seems to be an afterthought. I recall a few years back when Sara Palin emerged on the scene some fan of hers started a discussion board. The board quickly descended into a negative hate-fest about Obama and Sara Palin became an afterthought. (by the way this in no way reflects any opinion of mine about her and I DON'T WANT THIS TO BE TAKEN AS AN INVITATION FOR POLITICAL DISCUSSION). Perhaps if people had to write a letter, mail it, and hope some newspaper editor would approve it for publishing people would be less inclined to give full reign to their negative impulses. As well as being a marvelous tool for connecting with each other and the world at large the internet also seems to encourage our more baser impulses.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast