Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Fan vs Fanatic

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Real question (because I am in some ways a knucklehead when it comes to the finer points of social media): what happens if a Youtube video gets a lot of dislikes? Anything?

On Topic: these "dislikers" annoy me greatly. Anonymous judging strikes again. This was one of the highlight performances of the season thus far, and I am glad that Akiko is finally getting the recognition she deserves.

Nevertheless, I don't believe it is very useful to "guess" the profile of the miscreants. Are they Maobots who fear Akiko's usurpation of the Japan #1 slot? Are they Yunabots who feel that Akiko's scores don't deserve to be that close to Yuna's? Maybe even Juliabots and Adelinabots and Carobots who see Akiko's score as a clear and present danger to their girls' podium chances? So many possible perpetrators, such tantalizing motives, but no smoking guns and so little time, my dear Watson. In the absence of verifiable facts, such speculations probably reveal more about the prejudices and anxieties of the speculators themselves than anything else.
    You forgot about Akikobots... if Chapis's theory is true! It is the perfect way to show others are jealous and therefore you are now proper legit threat. Wow who'd thought the thumb up and down icon on youtube can mean so many things.

skating philosopher
    It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see where some of those dislikes came from by just looking at the comments. Several Korean fans have commented about how ugly she is...Seriously?! Another fan states that Japanese people have an inferiority complex. What does that have to do with anything?!

That said, there are plenty of Korean fans who also said some nice comments, so I'm not saying ALL Korean fans are like this.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It doesn't take a brain surgeon to see where some of those dislikes came from by just looking at the comments. Several Korean fans have commented about how ugly she is...Seriously?! Another fan states that Japanese people have an inferiority complex. What does that have to do with anything?!

That said, there are plenty of Korean fans who also said some nice comments, so I'm not saying ALL Korean fans are like this.
    Unfortunately there're a few rotten apples from every apple tree, but that doesn't stop me liking apples or appreciate the beauty of the tree. Or worse thinking all apples are rotten and oranges are the only fruit.

Lesson: Life is about balance. Have your apple pie, but also have your fruit salads and other vegetables too

Custom Title

They are truly awful. Akiko is such a beautiful skater. She doesn't deserve this. No one does. I only hope that if she, unfortunately, were to come across these comments that she realizes how irrelevant those naysayers are as they aren't even making any logical arguments. If anything, I laugh and then feel sorry for them. If they're this pathetic online, then how pathetic are they in their daily lives?

Tripping on the Podium
    I think here we can use the notion of antifan. Like, someone's professional hater))
    Fans spend their time following a skater's career, going to competitions, watching the vids, reading interviews, discussing on boards, sometimes creating fanstuff like banners, fanarts, clips, etc. It's a pleasure to fill your time with your favourite skaters.
    Yet some guys, I bet you saw them, for some reason find it smart to waste their time hating - obsessively post on boards how disgusting a skater is, argue with his/her fans (they may call it trolling), leave offensive comments at Youtube videos of this skater, of course dislike (I guess often without even watching). Or they search for doubtful statement in the interviews, and laugh that "oh look, she mixed up alpacas and llamas, she's so ignorant and stupid". Such people may take time and create some stuff to ridicule the one they hate, like take a bad fall pic and add some presumably funny caption, and so on.
    Perhaps these activities make antifans happy, or they consider they make the world aware of what is, in their opinion, the real state of things. It's just the agressive human nature, yet I still sometimes stare at the comments like "her face is sooo ugly and her music choise is tasteless as usual" and it makes me wonder whether the one who wrote this is now proud and the day has not gone in vain for him.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Unfortunately there're a few rotten apples from every apple tree, but that doesn't stop me liking apples or appreciate the beauty of the tree. Or worse thinking all apples are rotten and oranges are the only fruit.

Lesson: Life is about balance. Have your apple pie, but also have your fruit salads and other vegetables too
    First of all, did you not see the sentence where I said, that I know that not all Korean fans are like this?

But I think it's important to call a spade a spade. And using your analogy, I think its worth noting there is a bushel of apples, ie a pesky contingent of Korean fans who, for whatever reason, are splashing the YouTube video full of cruel comments.

First of all, did you not see the sentence where I said, that I know that not all Korean fans are like this?

But I think it's important to call a spade a spade. And using your analogy, I think its worth noting there is a bushel of apples, ie a pesky contingent of Korean fans who, for whatever reason, are splashing the YouTube video full of cruel comments.
    C'mon now, have a visit to some YuNa vids posted by some Japanese anti-fans (the comments are in Japanese (thank-you google translation)) talking about how she isn't liked by other skaters, how she cheats, how they go beyond reason to smear EVERYTHING about her. And then I read some of the responses to those comments that are just as vile and just as racist; eventually one realizes something else is going on here, something tribal and ugly. These things aren't about the skaters in question and if a skater takes these things to heart then they need to have a good talking to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Nevertheless, I don't believe it is very useful to "guess" the profile of the miscreants. Are they Maobots who fear Akiko's usurpation of the Japan #1 slot? Are they Yunabots who feel that Akiko's scores don't deserve to be that close to Yuna's? Maybe even Juliabots and Adelinabots and Carobots who see Akiko's score as a clear and present danger to their girls' podium chances? So many possible perpetrators, such tantalizing motives, but no smoking guns and so little time, my dear Watson. In the absence of verifiable facts, such speculations probably reveal more about the prejudices and anxieties of the speculators themselves than anything else.
    all of the above

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I think there is definitely a distinction between a fan and a fanatic--the fanatics seem to think that putting down a rival skater is ok, while the fans focus on following and cheering the skating and life of the skater(s) whose fans they are. Fans often like other skaters, too, and love the sport in general--I'm not sure that the fanatics actually like skating so much...

The fanatics seem to thrive on throwing themselves into a discussion about the rival skater(s) (lots of examples on this and other skating forums, unfortunately), and can get really nasty. They also tend not be able to take any critique of the skater(s) whose fans they are--whether justified or not--and presume that any critique is a personal attack on that/those skater(s).

Then there are, of course, skating fans who never have anything positive to say about certain skaters, not necessarily because they are rivals of a skater/skaters they like, but because they for some reason do not like that particular skater (and this may have little to do with the skating and more to do with the personality or style of that skater). I don't get this either. Criticize the judging, politicking, the skater's technique, musicality, or performance, etc., but could we please stop calling a skater "ugly", "fat", "too effeminate", etc.? There should be room in the skating world for skaters of different looks, styles, energy, and personality--the differences just make the sport more interesting, imo.
    I've found that comment sections as a whole are pointless to read. I've read nasty comments about my favorite skaters before and it's so frustrating. I've come to the point now where I don't even read the comments. I go online to enjoy the video/article/whatever, not to read what others are posting about it. Sometimes I still do it, from habit, but then I tell myself to stop. Even on GS, I've gotten to the point where I don't even open threads if I think they could turn too negative. Maybe that's just my personality though. I've always taken this old adage to heart: "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all." I mainly post online about things that I enjoy or that make me happy. I like to hang out in the Fan Fest section here where people stay positive all the time. Am I the only one who is like this?

Like what you like and don't worry about the rest.
    AMEN TO THAT!!!

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    C'mon now, have a visit to some YuNa vids posted by some Japanese anti-fans (the comments are in Japanese (thank-you google translation)) talking about how she isn't liked by other skaters, how she cheats, how they go beyond reason to smear EVERYTHING about her. And then I read some of the responses that are just as vile and just as racist; eventually one realizes something else is going on here, something tribal and ugly. These things aren't about the skaters in question and if a skater takes these things to heart then they need to have a good talking to.
    I'm against cruel comments, regarded who its directed to. The Akiko video was the subject in question, so that was what I'm commenting on. But of course, I think its unacceptable the stupid comments/YouTube videos that Japanese fans (or "fans") post as well.

I don't think the skaters are taking it to heart or even reading the comments, but I'm just commenting on the stupidity of some people.

As someone that has an interest in K-pop and Korean pop culture, it amazes me the amount of vitriol that people say about a rival band or even a rival K-drama character. It is completely unnecessary. Like what you like and don't worry about the rest.

Custom Title

Oh I am trying to agree with you. If you understood my (failed) attempt of wisdom and humour, it works both ways, multiple ways, Jackson Pollack ways. This sort of behavior does not apply only to Koreans, I see similar things done in Chinese, Japanese and certainly in English, not just on youtube. There are legitimate darkness to human nature beyond nationality which I can never understand nor care to venture into. These comments are likely to have nothing to do with figure skating, but unfortunately are at expense of it. It is easy to abuse the privilege of anonymity with negativity and hate when there can be so many conflicted and contrasting motivation beyond the obvious. As far as I am concerned, things are rarely in black and white where there are anonymity. It is really important to becareful to view them as isolated phenomenons (likely the work of a small minority) rather than any particular national traits.

I can never judge the whole of Japanese on the nationalist diatribe on 2CH, or Americans on certain population's obsession with TMZ or for Aniston's hair style for example. Just don't get it, moving along...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Oh I am trying to agree with you. If you understood my (failed) attempt of wisdom and humour, it works both ways, multiple ways, Jackson pollack ways. This sort of behavior does not apply only to Koreans, I see similar things done in Chinese, Japanese and certainly in English, not just on youtube. There are legitimate darkness to human nature beyond nationality which I can never understand nor care to venture into. These comments are likely to have nothing to do with figure skating, but unfortunately are at expense of it. It is easy to abuse the privilege of anonymity with negativity and hate when there can be so many conflicted and contrasting motivation beyond the obvious. As far as I am concerned, things are rarely in black and white where there are anonymity. It is really important to becareful to view them as isolated phenomenons (likely the work of a small minority) rather than any particular national traits.

I can never judge the whole of Japanese on the nationalist diatribe on 2CH, or Americans on certain populator's obsession with TMZ or for Aniston's hair style for example. Just don't get it, moving along...
    Sorry I didn't get the joke.

My original intent was to answer the OP's question was "Why the heck does Akiko have 796 dislikes?"

In the comment section there is contingent of fans with Korean surnames (but who knows it could be Japanese fans masking as Koreans...) who have posted nasty comments. It was not meant to be a commentary on the Korean people or Korean skating fans, just that it's likely those dislikes came from folks with Korean fans (or, again "fans") who made those dumb comments about how she looks or whatever.

Also, it was not meant to say that Japanese, American, and other types of people weren't engaging in the same nastiness.

This is truly the dumbest thread I've seen here.

Youtube has an option that let's you express your "dislike". There is absolutely nothing wrong with exercising that right. I, for one, find no joy watching Akiko skate. Rather than searching for her youtube video and wasting my time and pressing the "dislike" button, I simply choose not to watch her. But if someone else feels strongly enough to express their "dislike," for whatever personal reason, I see nothing wrong with that. Blame Youtube, not the users.

Yuna's SP has more than 700+ dislikes. Her LP has more than 800+ dislikes. So what?

Take a chill pill plz.

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    This is truly the dumbest thread I've seen here.

Youtube has an option that let's you express your "dislike". There is absolutely nothing wrong with exercising that right. I, for one, find no joy watching Akiko skate. Rather than searching for her youtube video and wasting my time and pressing the "dislike" button, I simply choose not to watch her. But if someone else feels strongly enough to express their "dislike," for whatever personal reason, I see nothing wrong with that. Blame Youtube, not the users.

Yuna's SP has more than 700+ dislikes. Her LP has more than 800+ dislikes. So what?

Take a chill pill plz.
    Yuna lp of adiós nonino has 800 dislikes vs 6000 likes and it was not her best performance, is not the same, there are much more likes, the point is that is obvious that so many dislikes (700 likes vs 600 dislikes) for a really good performance, (you like it or not it was enough good or at least not bad), are not precisley because they doesn´t like it, they simply want to show that the skater is not enough valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Yuna lp of adiós nonino has 800 dislikes vs 6000 likes and it was not her best performance, is not the same, there are much more likes, the point is that is obvious that so many dislikes (700 likes vs 600 dislikes) for a really good performance, (you like it or not it was enough good or at least not bad), are not precisley because they doesn´t like it, they simply want to show that the skater is not enough valuable.
    No, it just shows that Akiko has less "fans" or "fanatics" (whatever word you want to use) than Yuna, while they seem to have about same number of youtube haters.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast