Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 109

Thread: Fan vs Fanatic

  1. #91
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
    As you described well, most YuNa fans do not consider Akikko a threat. And, there was no reason YuNa fans were unhappy when Akikko beat Mao, and there is no reason YuNa fans leave hate comments on the Akikko video.
    Perhaps, in general, no rational reason is needed. Sometimes, people purposely misconstrue what they see because they don't want to admit that they were wrong or don't necessarily like change that upsets the balance of "their" world.

  2. #92
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Lol how do you even know for sure the nationality of the posters? It's pretty easy to disguise oneself under a foreign username. It's useless to guess which group of ubers is behind the comments. As a general rule, it's is always good to close out the comment section, because the comment section of almost every skating video featuring well-known skaters that I've seen are filled with trollish arguments.

  3. #93
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Lol how do you even know for sure the nationality of the posters? It's pretty easy to disguise oneself under a foreign username. It's useless to guess which group of ubers is behind the comments. As a general rule, it's is always good to close out the comment section, because the comment section of almost every skating video featuring well-known skaters that I've seen are filled with trollish arguments.
    Is Korean a easy language to learn? I can download and install Korean IME, but have no idea how to use it. You must be a linguistic genius.

  4. #94
    :) aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    Is Korean a easy language to learn? I can download and install Korean IME, but have no idea how to use it. You must be a linguistic genius.
    Well, you could always copy and paste what other people write. They comments don't necessarily have to be in Japanese or Korean as I've seen many in improper English. Probably a way to spread negativity as far as possible.

  5. #95
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeko666 View Post
    Is Korean a easy language to learn? I can download and install Korean IME, but have no idea how to use it. You must be a linguistic genius.
    Interestingly enough, Korean and Japanese are, grammatically, as well as in their reliance on Chinese loanwords, more similar to each other than to any other language.

    I've spent extended periods in both countries, and I have noticed that Japanese and Koreans tend to be able to learn each other's languages much more quickly and easily than anyone else.


  6. #96
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Interestingly enough, Korean and Japanese are, grammatically, as well as in their reliance on Chinese loanwords, more similar to each other than to any other language.

    I've spent extended periods in both countries, and I have noticed that Japanese and Koreans tend to be able to learn each other's languages much more quickly and easily than anyone else.

    Thank you. I wanted to ask that very thing. I recall something about how when a younger Mao and YuNa were together for interviews in Japan Mao good-naturedly teased YuNa about a cross-language homonym she made whereby her word accidentally meant something funny in Japanese. Got me wondering just how similar the two languages were.

  7. #97
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Hmm I think they are both similar to the Chinese language, more so than to each other. There are words in Korean that sound very similar to their equivalent in Chinese. The Japanese language sound less similar but there are many Chinese characters found in Kanji.

  8. #98
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Hmm I think they are both similar to the Chinese language, more so than to each other. There are words in Korean that sound very similar to their equivalent in Chinese. The Japanese language sound less similar but there are many Chinese characters found in Kanji.
    I disagree. Not only do they share a lot of Chinese-derived compound words that would sound strange in Mandarin, but Chinese grammar is very far off either language.

  9. #99
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by Robeye View Post
    Interestingly enough, Korean and Japanese are, grammatically, as well as in their reliance on Chinese loanwords, more similar to each other than to any other language.

    I've spent extended periods in both countries, and I have noticed that Japanese and Koreans tend to be able to learn each other's languages much more quickly and easily than anyone else.

    Learning how to speak may not be so difficult, but writing/typing would be another story. Koreans now use hangeul (Korean alphabet) only. (They used to use Chinese characters too, but not anymore.) Japanese has two sets of Japanese alphabets (hiragana and katakana) and Chines characters (kanji).

    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Hmm I think they are both similar to the Chinese language, more so than to each other. There are words in Korean that sound very similar to their equivalent in Chinese. The Japanese language sound less similar but there are many Chinese characters found in Kanji.
    Japanese and Korean have similar grammars, which is very different from English. I guess those two languages have a same origin. Chinese grammar is more similar to English than to Japanese/Korean. Because Chinese and Japanese use Chinese characters, it's possible to understand meaning even though you can't pronounce correctly. Pronunciation in Chinese is much more complex than Japanese/Korean.

  10. #100
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    36
    Ooh, we're talking about linguistics? Great, I love linguistics.

    Korean is actually considered by many linguists to be a language isolate, which means that it is unrelated to any other language today, including Japanese. It's actually pretty amazing to think about, especially when you consider that most other language isolates out there are either dead or in danger of dying. Korean, with over 70 million (?) speakers, has more than every other language isolate combined.

    That said, some people have proposed that Korean is actually related to the Altaic languages, which would include Japanese. But no definite connection has been established; I believe that Korean is still officially considered an isolate at this point.

    Korean did borrow a lot of words from Chinese, and I'd be interested in knowing whether Japan's previous imperialism/colonization of Korea had any effect on the language.

  11. #101
    Custom Title verysmuchso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    192
    Japanese is also considered a language isolate!

  12. #102
    Custom Title mirai4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    849
    Definitely Mao fans who hit the dislike button.

    Yuna fans aint got time for Akiko.

  13. #103
    Columnist
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    360
    Not every fanatic must be bad, quite the opposite actually

    If I look at myself there then I see someone who spends a lot of money on events, who loves sports just as much as he likes music. While others build their second home, I still travel around the world to every type of competition in sports that I can afford.

    Lots of people in my family or neighborhood keep asking me why I do it and if I am not a bit nuts

    Truth is, I might be nuts - but I also don't want to change what I am doing. Music & Sports are very important to me and therefore I don't mind sitting at the ice rink for 16 hours a day, to travel for 10 hours just because of a gig etc. Its what I love and like doing and yes its fanatic, but its also a big part of my life

    You have people like me quite often in sports. I know a group of people called the "fanatics", those appear at several events and are like an Australian travelling group of thousands of members now. Such people we need at sports in my opinion, people who are just more into it than neutral "fans".

    That said, hardly anyone of those or other groups are bad people and would insult other athlete´s etc. Those that do these type of things, are usually not really those that go to Events or actually get in touch with athlete´s, musicians etc. They only sit at home in most cases and have nothing better to do than hitting a button below a video :D

    Sadly, there are some people who really are rude no doubt about it, but I would probably call that type of "anti fan" a typical "Hater" and those you find a lot at the Internet.

    I absolutely understand that it can hurt a skater if she or he see´s so many dislikes, just like it can hurt a skater if you talk bad about her body measurements or other particular things. That's why I always try to stay away from these type of things, due respect to the athlete.

    But again, if someone talks about these things then he isn't a bad person either, most people just don't realize that these things can actually hurt someone.

    Maybe you must be in public yourself to understand it better, but it also depends a lot of your origin. We have to keep in mind that the earth has about 206 different states, that's a lot of culture and a lot of individuality. People talk and judge differently, whats totally normal in one country, can be totally inappropriate at another.

    However, I wouldn't make the mistake and call out a group of fans no matter if Yuna, Ando or who else was mentioned here. Every fanbase can consist of such people, but that doesn't make the whole fanbase bad either.

    Its just that you remember negativity more than positivity.

  14. #104
    축복, 축도 RABID's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    Not every fanatic must be bad, quite the opposite actually

    If I look at myself there then I see someone who spends a lot of money on events, who loves sports just as much as he likes music. While others build their second home, I still travel around the world to every type of competition in sports that I can afford.

    Lots of people in my family or neighborhood keep asking me why I do it and if I am not a bit nuts

    Truth is, I might be nuts - but I also don't want to change what I am doing. Music & Sports are very important to me and therefore I don't mind sitting at the ice rink for 16 hours a day, to travel for 10 hours just because of a gig etc. Its what I love and like doing and yes its fanatic, but its also a big part of my life

    You have people like me quite often in sports. I know a group of people called the "fanatics", those appear at several events and are like an Australian travelling group of thousands of members now. Such people we need at sports in my opinion, people who are just more into it than neutral "fans".

    That said, hardly anyone of those or other groups are bad people and would insult other athlete´s etc. Those that do these type of things, are usually not really those that go to Events or actually get in touch with athlete´s, musicians etc. They only sit at home in most cases and have nothing better to do than hitting a button below a video :D

    Sadly, there are some people who really are rude no doubt about it, but I would probably call that type of "anti fan" a typical "Hater" and those you find a lot at the Internet.

    I absolutely understand that it can hurt a skater if she or he see´s so many dislikes, just like it can hurt a skater if you talk bad about her body measurements or other particular things. That's why I always try to stay away from these type of things, due respect to the athlete.

    But again, if someone talks about these things then he isn't a bad person either, most people just don't realize that these things can actually hurt someone.

    Maybe you must be in public yourself to understand it better, but it also depends a lot of your origin. We have to keep in mind that the earth has about 206 different states, that's a lot of culture and a lot of individuality. People talk and judge differently, whats totally normal in one country, can be totally inappropriate at another.

    However, I wouldn't make the mistake and call out a group of fans no matter if Yuna, Ando or who else was mentioned here. Every fanbase can consist of such people, but that doesn't make the whole fanbase bad either.

    Its just that you remember negativity more than positivity.
    If it was up to me this ^ would be the final word. Well said, Alex D.

  15. #105
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by mirai4life View Post
    Definitely Mao fans who hit the dislike button.

    Yuna fans aint got time for Akiko.
    Definetly. No doubt about it. Without question. When you write in such absolutes you should back it up with proof @mirai4life. Your comment sounds like somwthing a fanatic will write under Akiko's video.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •