Songs that brought you comfort and strength | Golden Skate

Songs that brought you comfort and strength

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Since I started the topic on "songs that make you cringe", I decided to devote a thread to songs that have comforted you in a time of crisis.

To me music is very theraputic and can restore a persons' well being like nothing else can even in the worst of times.

Here are some songs that helped me cope after the demise of my marriage:

Crying - Roy Orbison - classic
Empty Chairs - Don McLean
Yesterday - Paul McCarney
Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkle
Dangling Conversation - Simon and Garfunkle
Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez
I Wish I had a River I Could Skate Away On - Joni Mitchell
I know You're Out There Somewhere- Moody Blues
In Your Wildest Dreams - The Moody Blues

Of course, classical music is my main source of music.

Beethoven's sixth and ninth symphonies are always uplifting. As well, I love his seventh symphony.

Then there is:

Chopin
List
Schumann
Schubert
Mozart
Bach
Dvorak
Debussy
Tchaikovsky
Rachmaninov
Strauss
Shostakovich

Just to name a few!!!!

Here are some famous quotes about music:

"What fairy-like music steals over the sea, Entrancing our senses with charmed melody?"

Mrs. C. B. Wilson (—— –1846): What Fairy-like Music.

"Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast, To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak."

William Congreve. (1670–1729)

"If music be the food of love, play on;
Give me excess of it, that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken, and so die.
That strain again! it had a dying fall:
O, it came o’er my ear like the sweet sound 1That breathes upon a bank of violets,Stealing and giving odour!"

Twelfth Night. Act i. Sc. 1. [text]

William Shakespeare. (1564-1616)

SusanBeth

Final Flight
To Where You Are- Josh Groban
Together Again -Janet Jackson

After the loss of my husband, these songs became very special to me. One was for when I needed to cry and the other for when I needed to stop.

Silver Lining

Rinkside
"I wish I had a river so wide, I would teach my feet to fly..."

Yeah, I often sing that one to myself.
'Bridge Over Troubled Water' is another good one, regardless of the true meaning of the song. ;)
Songs that comfort me are 'Time After Time' by Cyndi Lauper, 'Little Girl Blue' by Janis Joplin and 'Don't Let it Show' by Pat Benatar.

Oh, I almost forgot, another of my favourites is 'Silver Lining' by Amanda Ghost. :laugh:

backspin

On the Ice
You're Still You--Josh Groban
Dante's Prayer--Loreena McKennit
The Promise--Tracy Chapman
Full of Grace--Sarah McLoughlin

Great topic!!

Wings Beneath My Wings--Bette Midler
I'm Gonna Be Strong--Cyndi Lauper
I Will Remember You--Sarah MacLachlan

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
"I Will Carry You" -- Clay Aiken
"You Raise Me Up" -- Josh Groban
"I Will Be Here" -- Steven Curtis Chapman (Though Clay's version works as well ;))
"When God Ran" -- Phillips Craig and Dean :)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
............I love "American Pie" by McClean and "You Made Me Love You" by Judy Garland.............42

Pati

On the Ice
I feel so sappy :laugh:

Let There Be Peace (on Earth)
We sang this in chorus when I was in grade school

You'll Never Walk Alone (Jerry Lewis sings it at the end of the telethon every year) We also sang this in chorus

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Cry Me A River - to overcome a bad relationship (either Joe Cocker or Barbara Streisand version)

Everybody Hurts - to get through bad times (REM)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
After my sister passed away six years ago, my mother and I became junkies for inspirational music or anything that reminded us of her:

"Bridge Over Troubled Water" - The Elvis version, since it was my sister's favorite. BEAUTIFUL! Actually, anytime I hear Elvis I think of my sister and smile. She loved Elvis like I love figure skating. LOL ...she did make me go to Graceland three times and I never once got to drag her to a skating competition!

"Angel" - AHHH! Sarah McLachlan tearjerker! But, very moving.

"Chances Are" - Bob Seger & Martina McBride....the line "Chances are I'll see you somewhere in my dreams tonight"...I love that!

"Fly" - Celine Dion (I believe that is the title, also a very moving
song)

I couldn't possibly name all of the songs that have touched me. But, these four are ones that always find their way back to my CD player when I need a little nudge!

Bijoux

Match Penalty
Several of my favorites have been mentioned. I like most genres of music but love black gospel. Vickie Wynans has a song called "And we shall behold Him" and gospel choirs always raise me up. Groban's music is wonderful. Shawn Colvin's song "You ain't got nothing on me"- at least I think that's the title.

Also Strisand's version of "Somewhere" -"Papa can you hear me?" from Yentl. I used to have a decent voice but I can't sing any more--sorethroats and easily winded now. I used to sing all the time, esp. broadway show tunes.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
My new favorite song is Immortal by Evanescence. Its a very beautiful song and my interpretation is that it is about moving on with life and remaining strong. Its very soothing for me these days as I am going through some tough relationship times. It reminds that although I do love my boyfriend and have been through so much with him, I can be alone and happy without him.

icenut84

Final Flight
"Stronger" by the Sugababes. I enjoy singing along to it because of the lyrics and also because it's the right vocal range for me. And singing it rather than just listening to it, I think, makes it even more meaningful and therapeutic.

"Didn't know what I had to do
I just knew I was alone
There were people around me, they didn't care
So I searched into my soul
I'm not the kind of girl who will let them see her cry
It's not my style, I'll get by,
See I'm gonna do this for me

I'm all alone, and finally
I'm getting stronger
You'll come to see just what I can be
I'm getting stronger"

Last edited:

Lanie

On the Ice
Sarah McLachlan's Angel, Full of Grace, I Will Remember You, and Hold On.

Tori Amos' 1000 Oceans.