Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 130

Thread: What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    131

    What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program?

    I'm curious as to what exactly Sotnikova was trying to convey through her long program. The Saint-Saens Rondo Capriccioso musical number was trying to evoke...what? What exactly was interesting about her choreography aside from the jumps? Do you think the program was assembled as a showpiece for lots of triple jumps rather than having any real theme? Let's dissect that long program.

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    941
    lolol. Does anyone remember?

  3. #3
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8
    The piece that Adelina skated to is "absolute music" and there's no story or plot line behind it. It's different from say "Carmen" which has an obvious story. Regardless, I was confused by her interpretation because it seemed rather disjointed and inconsistent with the music. I get that there's no tangible story to tell, but I don't think she connected with the music at all, unlike someone like Carolina Kostner who absorbed the Bolero rhythm from the very beginning. But maybe there's something deeply abstract about her choreography that none of us (aside from the judges) can understand.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by wootie View Post
    I'm curious as to what exactly Sotnikova was trying to convey through her long program. The Saint-Saens Rondo Capriccioso musical number was trying to evoke...what? What exactly was interesting about her choreography aside from the jumps? Do you think the program was assembled as a showpiece for lots of triple jumps rather than having any real theme? Let's dissect that long program.
    Or let's dissect the passionless Adios Goldmedalo complete with slow spins.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    104
    It wasn't trying to evoke anything. Not only was the choreography awful, but it elicited at least 3 eye-rolls from me (Kostner also got eyerolls for that stupid face mugging), especially that opening which is outright laughable. Whoever choreographed that should be embarrassed. To be frank though, it wouldn't matter if her team hired a good choreographer anyway, she has no connection to the musical structure - at all - so she couldn't execute good choreography anyway. This Saint-Saens piece is beautiful, and it would be amazing to see a better skater take advantage of its remarkable harmonic and rhythmic instability. But Adelina is a tone-deaf robot. Maybe she can develop into something, but I doubt it. Basically, the choreography is just meaningless inserting to carry her to the next element with complete disconnect to a broader notion of a program.

  6. #6
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    56
    I enjoyed the first five seconds. Then we devolve into waving to the audience during the spiral. It truly is a baffling program.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by donezo View Post
    I enjoyed the first five seconds. Then we devolve into waving to the audience during the spiral. It truly is a baffling program.
    That move was her "Nice knowing you Yuna! I'm gonna miss you, but not your fans" moment.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    644
    I thought the music sounded like electro pop at some moments, and the end was particularly screechy. Adelina has great spirals and spins (not as good as Lipniskaia), but her choreography needs some work. Towards the end, I felt like the music and her skating were two separate things.

    This also applies to her short program. In the second half of the short program, I felt like I was just watching her run around on the ice.

  9. #9
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    That move was her "Nice knowing you Yuna! I'm gonna miss you, but not your fans" moment.
    I think it was a triumphant farewell to good taste.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,584
    Quote Originally Posted by donezo View Post
    I think it was a triumphant farewell to good taste.
    Taste is subjective.

  11. #11
    Custard Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    990
    Quote Originally Posted by donezo View Post
    I think it was a triumphant farewell to good taste.
    No, she was taking inspiration from Aliya Mustafina, another teenage brunette Russian Olympian who was expected to get overshadowed by her younger, blonder teammate. Her wave was a gesture to her haters. The meaning was, "Is that a hater I see? Bye hater!"

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    No, she was taking inspiration from Aliya Mustafina, another teenage brunette Russian Olympian who was expected to get overshadowed by her younger, blonder teammate. Her wave was a gesture to her haters. The meaning was, "Is that a hater I see? Bye hater!"

  13. #13
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    518
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    No, she was taking inspiration from Aliya Mustafina, another teenage brunette Russian Olympian who was expected to get overshadowed by her younger, blonder teammate. Her wave was a gesture to her haters. The meaning was, "Is that a hater I see? Bye hater!"
    http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/.../68f32faf3.gif

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    334
    "Hey Daddy Putin! Look what I can do! Look what I can do!"

  15. #15
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,201
    Jump like it nobody's business!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •