Yuna Kim's short and long programs | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's short and long programs

Nadia01

Final Flight
I remember this user had the best camerawork during last year's Nationals too. The "official" broadcast didn't change my opinion at all about her Les Miserables program--it actually all really changed when I saw this person's fancam. Funny how different angles can alter your perspective. Honestly, SBS and KBS should have hired this person to do their camerawork.

Except they'll always insist on their horrible cameramen.

(And their even more atrocious commentators...)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
My comment to YOU BTW was reference to your complaint about this ENTIRE forum.

ABORT! ABORT!

:laugh: if only you knew my feelings on MK :laugh:

I've been here long enough to know that I don't want to know. Bwahaha

Except they'll always insist on their horrible cameramen.

(And their even more atrocious commentators...)

THEY TALK SO MUCH IT DRIVES ME CRAZY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH (I KNOW WHO WE'RE WATCHING PLEASE STOP SAYING HER NAME)

Just out of curiosity, do you speak any Korean? I've always wondered what it means when they say "mee-dah". I don't know if that only means something in context, but I always hear that phrase whenever they talk about Yuna. And sometimes in k-dramas, but that's completely irrelevant.

thinspread

On the Ice
Just out of curiosity, do you speak any Korean? I've always wondered what it means when they say "mee-dah". I don't know if that only means something in context, but I always hear that phrase whenever they talk about Yuna. And sometimes in k-dramas, but that's completely irrelevant.

"....needah" (polite/formal tone) or "....dah" (casual tone) is one of the typical tail parts of the words that correspond to be-verbs or do-verbs in English. Syntactic order for Korean (a Ural-Altaic language) differs from that for English (an Indo-Aryan language), and the be-verbs or do-verbs are usually placed at the end of each sentence in Korean language. That's why you get to hear those very frequently at the end of Korean sentences.

Yuna started skating in an open ice rink? I m even more impressed.

AFAIK she started skating at an indoor rink near her childhood residence. It looks like the little Yuna in that video clip was in an outdoor exhibition or competition.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
the Olympic Gold Medal unless Yu-Na skates clean and the others err. .

Who pray tell would Kim need to "err" in order to win if she skated clean. I guess it is possible if Mao completed everything in her murderors row program cleanly she could beat even a clean Kim (although I wouldnt say she needs Mao to err either). Nobody else would even have a hope of beating a clean Kim.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
lol

In a recent Yuna documentary, there was an interview with the dress designer, and she said Yuna lost a bit of weight compared to last season, so it affected the costume designing. So it is my guess that they wanted to make sure the dress fits well around waist despite the cut by using the illusion fabric. It actually matches her skin tone very well and doesn't really show other than in some pictures. Maybe they should have added beading or embroidery saying 'this is not tights' for some people.
If you try to remember, this is not her first costume with low cut back. Danse, and her first Adios dress also had similar cut, and she never showed any 'tights'. But it's maybe just Yuna's new high waist tights. :sarcasm:

Don't care whether it's illusion fabric or her tights. It looks bad. There are figure skating dresses that inadvertantly show the skater's tights. Sometimes it can be overlooked if you consider not everyone can afford well-fitted custom dresses but obviously that's not the case with Yuna. Weight loss is a poor excuse because you would have to assume that this dresss was made recently. Her Danse Macabre and prior Adios dresses didn't dip down so low so it wasn't an issue. That's kind of the point - those were good dresses. The new one is bleh.

Kirk

Rinkside
Don't care whether it's illusion fabric or her tights. It looks bad. There are figure skating dresses that inadvertantly show the skater's tights. Sometimes it can be overlooked if you consider not everyone can afford well-fitted custom dresses but obviously that's not the case with Yuna. Weight loss is a poor excuse because you would have to assume that this dresss was made recently. Her Danse Macabre and prior Adios dresses didn't dip down so low so it wasn't an issue. That's kind of the point - those were good dresses. The new one is bleh.

Yeah in your opinion.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
^I just checked out the Adios Nonino clip, and I HATE to say this, but my opinion of the music (and program) has gone down even more. The cut of it is terrible and is all over the place. I'll put put my volume down when Yuna Kim is skating at Sochi so I don't get distracted by the awful screeching.

*ducks*

YunaBliss

On the Ice
haha, I think it is great. It is powerful yet not overwhelming and with certain distinct softness and lyricism - the qualities that define Yuna as a skater. I am content with this LP platform. If Yuna can deliver this like she can, I am not worried about the result, even going against Julia's "tear-jerking" LP at her home field.

nguyenghita

On the Ice
^I just checked out the Adios Nonino clip, and I HATE to say this, but my opinion of the music (and program) has gone down even more. The cut of it is terrible and is all over the place. I'll put put my volume down when Yuna Kim is skating at Sochi so I don't get distracted by the awful screeching.

*ducks*
You make me so confused :think:

Anyway, the clean skate of this program will be the masterpiece for sure, especially on Olympic stage :love:

Ven

Match Penalty
Good luck to Yuna. I've made peace with the fact that the program will not have emotional depth that I was hoping for. I'm thankful for the music choice, perplexed the deeper parts were left out of the cut, and all in all feel like it's just a rehash of what we've seen from her before.

BUT

All of that said I will keep my fingers crossed and hope to be pleasantly surprised. It's possible with her. Even if I'm not, I hope she goes clean and takes down the gold.

HalfTriple

Match Penalty
Wow! Check out this clip of Yuna's LP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCxrLcQKCj0

I don't where they got the music cut but it sounds like they got it directly from Wilson's editor. It sounds so good!

It may not be useful to give a comment at this point, but for what is worth, my two cents. Music is incredible but in my opinion she ought to skate to this with a similar feel to Gershwin or her Tango in 2007 or combination of both. The problem is she needs to change choreo. She doesn't need too many arm movement; sometimes less is more. What she needs is speed and light hearted step and hops, and perfect sync with music. I heard she focuses on step sequences but it looks too much and disoriented. I don't know why Wilson is so helpless in this piece, but on listening to it I already knew something definitely wrong; it is a time for ina bauer, but she doesn't do. I thought it is a time for step, but wrong, she is gliding. when she needs to hop just like in Gershwin she is doing step sequence. This is extremely delicate piece but because of that, it needs several ideas together to make it work; team work can solve it. I am not a choreo expert but I can at least point several wrong spots immediately. Any news that she will change choreo?

Ven

Match Penalty
HalfTriple, I don't know if there will be minor adjustments, who knows. They made slight fixes last year before WCs that really paid off. What major change can they do at this point? None, and it's not like the program is bad. It will get all the points and hopefully win the gold medal, even if it's not my favorite. I've come to terms with it, maybe I will be presently surprised at Sochi and fall in love all over again. On the other hand, so far her final program seemed anti-climactic for me, leaves me sad, but I still have Gershwin and Les Mis, Send in the Clowns and Danse Macabre (among others) to fawn over for years to come.

Btw like you, I had never heard the music before but when I saw the program I just *knew* something was missing. I had to think about it quite a lot, but eventually I discovered the problem. In the original unedited music that was used, there is a building sadness in the music that really reaches a powerful emotional moment right before ina bauer. Unfortunately that part of the music got left out. The cut they went with leaves the program feeling (to me at least) like it just goes from segment to segment without much meaning. Feels like such a letdown for me personally, I think this could have been a really deep and emotional performance like we've never seen from Yuna before. I will keep my fingers crossed, who knows what we will see in Sochi, but I'm sure she will give her best either way. :)

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Any news that she will change choreo?
I don't think so, Yuna is not the type of skater usually change anything in the program at the middle of season, let alone the last minute like now.

Her SP & LP costume were not well-received, even rumored be changed time by time but it was confirmed will not be changed anymore because she feel fine with the current ones. Same with program, regardless how others feel, as long as Yuna feel fine, she will stick with it till the end.

And really, I believe in Yuna, just follow her heart and her head, everything will be fine :yay:

Ven

Match Penalty
Her SP & LP costume were not well-received, even rumored be changed time by time but it was confirmed will not be changed anymore because she feel fine with the current ones.

I thought she said after nationals that the LP costume might be altered still. I really wish she would go back to all black, like Golden Spin. The dress was beautiful, even if she wanted different fabric for comfort, she could still go back to black with silver sequins. The purple does not look good in my opinion.