Yuna Kim's short and long programs | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's short and long programs

usethis2

Medalist
Hey, this one is below the one Krislite linked to on YouTube. Its angle isn't that great but the screen is clearer @1080p. And I got to watch one more 3lutz before her performance began. (the screaming/crying girl is a little too much, though, as well as those who chant "Russia")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_7eZ4SZ82Y

I hate to think of everything from conspiracy theory point of view but that wait is unusually long. Anyway, it's a great quality cam I found thanks to Kristlie's original link.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
You think that was bad? The first fan cam vid I found was BY that screaming/crying girl and it was unbearable. I kind of get where Weir and others are coming from. Upon a first viewing the performance does seem tentative. It isn't until you view it multiple times that you see what a masterpiece it truly is. It gets more rewarding every time you watch it, which you can't say for Adelina's performance, which was compelling the first time around but loses its novelty after a few viewings. I think that says it all.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hey, this one is below the one Krislite linked to on YouTube. Its angle isn't that great but the screen is clearer @1080p. And I got to watch one more 3lutz before her performance began. (the screaming/crying girl is a little too much, though, as well as those who chant "Russia")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_7eZ4SZ82Y

I hate to think of everything from conspiracy theory point of view but that wait is unusually long. Anyway, it's a great quality cam I found thanks to Kristlie's original link.

I hate the fact the vuvuzelas went off as she is about to launch her combo during warm up in the beginning and made her pop. It is a horrible intimation tactic that should have no place in this sport. They should ban this to be used in future competitions. Luckily Yuna handled herself well, she really fought through it.

For the Short program, do you remember that official looking guy in dark suit at the rink side tries to distract her by waving and then did the devil sign?

http://i.imgur.com/iq3IxB6.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AtJ92Ip.jpg

Hope someone track him down and if he is affiliated with ISU or Russian Skating federation, then it'd makes this whole Olympic competition even more shameful.

Nadya

On the Ice
I hate the fact the vuvuzelas went off as she is about to launch her 3lz3t during warm up in the beginning and made her pop. It is a horrible intimation tactic that should have no place in this sport. They should ban this to be used in future competitions. Luckily Yuna handled herself well, she really fought through it.

For the Short program, do you remember that official looking guy in dark suit at the rink side tries to distract her by waving and then did the devil sign?

Hope someone track him down and if he is affiliated with ISU or Russian Skating federation, then it'd makes this whole Olympic competition even more shameful.
Actually, if he's affiliated with the Russian Skating Federation, you should send him chocolates, since the devil sign is a common cheering gesture in Russia.

As a side note, I would also say that if a skater is able to get distracted by a random dude standing by the boards doing whatever, that skater has bigger problems. Kim is a solid competitor so it shouldn't be a problem for her. Soviet male pair skaters used to be drilled for their lifting footwork with the lights going on and off in a skating rink, or a coach hitting them with a stick across the shins. After a few years of this, nothing, nothing could disrupt your footwork and therefore endanger your partner. You're telling me you're concerned about a "devil sign"?

Procrastinator

On the Ice
I don't think he was trying to distract her; possibly just playing it up for the camera as I've seen countless people do before.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Actually, if he's affiliated with the Russian Skating Federation, you should send him chocolates, since the devil sign is a common cheering gesture in Russia.

As a side note, I would also say that if a skater is able to get distracted by a random dude standing by the boards doing whatever, that skater has bigger problems. Kim is a solid competitor so it shouldn't be a problem for her. Soviet male pair skaters used to be drilled for their lifting footwork with the lights going on and off in a skating rink, or a coach hitting them with a stick across the shins. After a few years of this, nothing, nothing could disrupt your footwork and therefore endanger your partner. You're telling me you're concerned about a "devil sign"?

Hahaha what a lot of bollocks. Okay note to ALL those at rink side in Japan worlds, Boston worlds and especially Pyeonchang Olympics. Next time a Russian skater skate right by you at rink side eye level, make sure you wave to them and then do a devil sign, because that is apparently how you 'cheer' a Russian skater! :)

usethis2

Medalist
You think that was bad? The first fan cam vid I found was BY that screaming/crying girl and it was unbearable.

Haha OMG. :laugh:

It isn't until you view it multiple times that you see what a masterpiece it truly is. It gets more rewarding every time you watch it,

I agree. And I think it is the most difficult program she performed, if only for the delicate, complex choreo. There are so many moments in the choreo, if not performed perfectly, would break the whole show. Like, imagine her falling on the 2nd Salchow and music stopping momentarily(!). I have no idea how she pulls it off every time.. she pulled it off every time. I realize that it is now past tense, sadly. Ah.

This I did not know up to this point. Is that real? :eek:

P.S. BTW, the sit-jump during the last combination spin in Send in the Clowns is kind of ugly in the cam. It looked OK on TV.

Nadya

On the Ice
Hahaha what a lot of bollocks. Okay note to ALL those at rink side in Japan worlds, Boston worlds and especially Pyeonchang Olympics. Next time a Russian skater skate right by you at rink side eye level, make sure you wave to them and then do a devil sign, because that is apparently how you 'cheer' a Russian skater! :)
Lots of people waive at skaters or clap as they glide by. Nothing to see here. No one associates this gesture with a "devil sign" in Russia so you can make it till rigor mortis sets in. I guess you didn't know that gestures are culturally relative, did you?

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Are you guys serious? That devil sign is commonly used as a cheering sign, not just in Russia but all over the world, especially at rock and pop concerts, and sporting events. Even Celine Dion, the queen of cheesy vanilla adult contemporary pop does it, and constantly at that

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qUFDMUpk9jE/SXV-mPlKc1I/AAAAAAAAO7w/9VsT5R7qK60/s400/celine+Dion32.jpg

Many football fans do it too.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Hookemhorns.jpg/220px-Hookemhorns.jpg

Nadya

On the Ice
Are you guys serious? That devil sign is commonly used as a cheering sign, not just in Russia but all over the world, especially at rock and pop concerts, and sporting events. Even Celine Dion, the queen of cheesy vanilla adult contemporary pop does it, and constantly at that

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qUFDMUpk9jE/SXV-mPlKc1I/AAAAAAAAO7w/9VsT5R7qK60/s400/celine+Dion32.jpg

Many football fans do it too.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e2/Hookemhorns.jpg/220px-Hookemhorns.jpg
Oh dear. Did you bring logic and reason to this madhouse?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Lots of people waive at skaters or clap as they glide by. Nothing to see here. No one associates this gesture with a "devil sign" in Russia so you can make it till rigor mortis sets in. I guess you didn't know that gestures are culturally relative, did you?

He is at an eye level at the official rink area, not part of the general audience. As such, his profile is likely to be of an official capacity.

Your 'explanation' actually suggest he is a Russian official more than any other nationalities since you mentioned it is a 'cultural' thing. Which frankly made it even worse in the interest of fair play. Put it this way, why didn't the same man offer the same 'cheer' to the Russian or any other nationality skaters when they skate right pass him? According to the NHK broadcast, he was just there for Kim's performance only. When have we ever seen this sort of 'act' during this Olympics, or skating competitions anywhere in the world? The reason is obvious.

I frankly question your judgement. Which part of the official personnel 'should not' distract rival skaters while they perform something important, dangerous and should not lose their focus you don't understand? Is this the typical behaviour in a figure skating competition anywhere in the world or just in Russia at this Olympics to a skater that happens to be their biggest barrier for gold?

Are you so seriously lack in common sense you actually require an official notice to spell out 'how not to behave'? A 5 years old should know better.

Nadya

On the Ice
He is at an eye level at the official rink area, not part of the general audience. As such, his profile is likely to be of an official capacity.

Your 'explanation' actually suggest he is a Russian official more than any other nationalities since you mentioned it is a 'cultural' thing. Which frankly made it even worse in the interest of fair play. Put it this way, why didn't the same man offer the same 'cheer' to the Russian or any other nationality skaters when they skate right pass him? According to the NHK broadcast, he was just there for Kim's performance only. When have we ever seen this sort of 'act' during this Olympics, or skating competitions anywhere in the world? The reason is obvious.

I frankly question your judgement. Which part of the official personnel 'should not' distract rival skaters while they perform something important, dangerous and should not lose their focus you don't understand? Is this the typical behaviour in a figure skating competition anywhere in the world or just in Russia at this Olympics to a skater that happens to be their biggest barrier for gold?

Are you so seriously lack in common sense you actually require an official notice to spell out 'how not to behave'? A 5 years old should know better.
I don't care what you think of my judgment. I am not here to win your approval. I will, however, correct you if you post lies.

You don't know that he has any official capacity.

You don't know if he's a Russian official or indeed any other official.

You don't know that he didn't offer the same cheer to all other skaters. Did NHK record the entire length of ladies' skating? Did they keep their focus on that one man? Is there proof he didn't do it for anyone else?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I don't care what you think of my judgment. I am not here to win your approval. I will, however, correct you if you post lies.

You don't know that he has any official capacity.

You don't know if he's a Russian official or indeed any other official.

You don't know that he didn't offer the same cheer to all other skaters. Did NHK record the entire length of ladies' skating? Did they keep their focus on that one man? Is there proof he didn't do it for anyone else?

You could have saved yourself and us alot of time just admit you don't care on anything on 'source' 'opinion' 'visual proof' because you are who you are. Fingers in your ears, eye lids stuck to red Russia, blah blah blah. Why are you even here on a discussion forum?

I can of course adapt the same tactic to ask you to proof me he is not an official, proof me he is not Russian, proof me he did the same outrageous distraction to other skaters. Proof this is a typical behavior on the rink side, proof this happens in other skating competitions.

Nadya

On the Ice
You could have saved yourself and us alot of time just admit you don't care on anything on 'source' 'opinion' 'visual proof' because you are who you are. Fingers in your ears, eye lids stuck to red Russia, blah blah blah. Why are you even here on a discussion forum?

I can of course adapt the same tactic to ask you to proof me he is not an official, proof me he is not Russian, proof me he did the same outrageous distraction to other skaters. Proof this is a typical behavior on the rink side, proof this happens in other skating competitions.
My dear, this is how arguments work in civilized societies: you make a claim, you provide proof. The burden is on you since you're the person making the claim.

People explained to you how what you posted doesn't constitute "visual proof" because that gesture doesn't mean what you think it means. You made up a story about someone at the rinkside, filled up the blanks with your own guesswork and now you're angry people don't buy it?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
My dear, this is how arguments work in civilized societies: you make a claim, you provide proof. The burden is on you since you're the person making the claim.

People explained to you how what you posted doesn't constitute "visual proof" because that gesture doesn't mean what you think it means. You made up a story about someone at the rinkside, filled up the blanks with your own guesswork and now you're angry people don't buy it?

It will be wise for you to take your advice. So far I have seen no evidence or credible argument to support your views. The clips are out there in public, people can make their own minds up.

Nadya

On the Ice
It will be wise for you to take your advice. So far I have seen no evidence or credible argument to support your views. The clips are out there in public, people can make their own minds up.
Other than your own opinion, what is your evidence that this person is a) an official, b) a Russian official, and c) making a devil sign to distract Kim?

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Other than your own opinion, what is your evidence that this person is a) an official, b) a Russian official, and c) making a devil sign to distract Kim?

You are trying much to hard, carry on.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
P.S. BTW, the sit-jump during the last combination spin in Send in the Clowns is kind of ugly in the cam. It looked OK on TV.

I think this is probably the case more than we realize. We're watching and think everything looks great and the feedback from people seeing it live at a different vantage point are seeing things we're unaware of. And being human, we're the first to point out those who saw it live and found fault with something to strengthen our argument, and the first to dismiss those same people when they're saying something negative about those we favor.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
AFAIK, only University of Texas Austin fans do, as their slogan and hand signal is "Hook 'em horns."

This is from Wikipedia referring to similar gestures used by sports fans, and not including its ubiquitous use by music artists/fans

Hook 'em Horns is the slogan and hand signal of the University of Texas at Austin. Students and alumni of the university employ a greeting consisting of the phrase "Hook 'em" or "Hook 'em Horns" and also use the phrase as a parting good-bye or as the closing line in a letter or story. The gesture is meant to approximate the shape of the head and horns of the UT mascot, the Texas Longhorn Bevo.
Fans of the University of South Florida Bulls use the same hand sign at their athletic events, except that the hand is turned around and facing the other way. With the middle and ring finger extending towards the person presenting the "Go Bulls" sign.
Fans of North Dakota State University Bison athletics also use a similar hand gesture, known as "Go Bison!" The pinky and index fingers are usually slightly bent, however, to mimic the shape of a bison's horns.
Fans of North Carolina State University Wolfpack athletics use a similar gesture with the middle and ring fingers moving up and down over the thumb to mimic a wolf's jaw
Fans of University of California, Irvine Anteaters use a similar sign with the middle and ring fingers out to resemble the head of the mighty anteater.
Fans of University of Nevada, Reno Wolf Pack athletics use a similar sign with the middle and ring fingers out to resemble the wolf's snout.
Fans of University of Utah athletics, particularly football and gymnastics, use a gesture where the index and pinky finger are straight and parallel to each other, forming a block "U."[11]
Fans of Northwestern State University Demon athletics also use a similar hand gesture, known as "Fork 'em!" The pinky and index fingers are extended but a little more parallel to each other resembling the horns on a demon.
Arizona State University Sun Devil fans make a pitchfork sign by extending the index and middle fingers, as well as the pinky. The thumb holds down the ring finger to complete the gesture.
Fans of the University of Oklahoma, a Big 12 Conference rival of The University of Texas, typically invert the "Hook 'em Horns" as a symbol of defiance toward The University of Texas. This symbol is especially prevalent during football season, leading up to the Red River Rivalry game, played each October in Dallas, Texas.
Fans of the Wichita State University Shockers frequently hold up their middle finger in addition to the pointer and pinky fingers as a reference to the comic sexual act.

Despite the protests of Illuminati conspiracy theorists, the devil horns sign is commonly used as a generic gesture that basically means "ROCK ON". It may have started out as an anti-establishment sort of gesture but evolved into something more benign

Kind of unrelated but Michelle actually started her "Miraculous Mandarin" program with her hands forming that gesture :laugh: