Yuna Kim's short and long programs | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's short and long programs

yuki90

On the Ice
at least yuna didn't run to her old programs.. and chickened out.. lol.. at least she's taking a risk with this music cut of adios which is not even a crowd pleaser.. when i saw her lp again through other fan cams.. w/ more close ups you can tell the program has promise.. if she can put more fire into it..

Agreed, Yuna's LP is full of choreos and transitions.
Very impressive choreo right after the opening 3-3, foot work preceding to the 3s-2t and also very unique choreo right after the 3S and beautiful boleo tango step after the flip.ina bauer and very difficult spread eagle entry changing edge three times before the 2A in SP also foot work before her 3 flip in SP, beautiful step in choreo sequence.

Even YuNa said Adios Nonino is the most difficult program which is full of choreos and transitions.

Someone who keep complaing about YuNa's LP for transitionless, who do you think you are?

acco-lade

Rinkside
What a brilliant comment !!
very impressive point of view even i have never thought about like that
I cannot agree with you more

RABID

Final Flight
Those who strongly feels this LP don't have the emotional pull, fair enough, I am not even going to bother convince you otherwise since at least to me, this is clearly not the direction this program is about. Adios wasn't originally conceived as a eulogy and was written some 5 years ago prior to the composer's father's passing as a fusion of Jazz and Tango, certainly one only need to hear this particular Jazzy music edit on a visceral level to know the team are going for a decisively modern take to refocus on the skating rather than the all too obvious (and therefore cheapened) sentimentality. I am a big believer in the strength of concepts and the quality of decisions to create any piece of creative work are just as valuable than the superficial rendering of it, and Yuna Kim's programs continues to provide me the bests.

In this rapid paced internet age under anonymity, it provide people a false sense of entitlement to toss any fickle minded self absorbed drivel through sheer volume, but they are too often of little value (it is the top 10% quality thoughts that keeps me coming back), especially when someone's 'blessed ignorance' can be just as valued as someone else's real 'knowledge' and 'insights' regardless the quality of their education or life learning experience. They are usually short sighted and lacks in context, or at worst, agenda driven. It seems all a bit of a pointless exercise in the end, other than let the work speak for itself: at the Olympics, beyond the Olympics to see how will this piece of work be truly appreciated and understood on its own merit, and whether this program will outlasts those who recycled their 'greatest' programs this year.

I will say this, just like my gut reaction tells me Les Miserable will be an amazing classic EPIC at its first inception for the history of ladies figure skating in that little arena that only fit 300 people. Or that Gershwin is the most sophisticated program that evoke such strong feelings as if I have witnessing the very peak of virtuosity done as effortlessly and naturally on ice as humanly possible - before I am even aware who is Kim Yuna is or the score been announced. Or that her Homage deserve to win WC2011 solely on the merit of that program, despite of its somewhat puzzling reception at the world championship arena full of murmurs. I will stick by my opinion Adios will be the most amazing work of the highest order by an elite athlete / artist in every sense of the word, who reaches the full maturation to realise her craft on her own terms. Who does not compromise the integrity of her sport and arts to be popular, to be readily understood, to gain favours easily from the judges or the casual observers through familiarity and deliver what is expected. It seek beyond that. In more ways than one, SITC already proved Yuna Kim is fully capable to deliver the standard convention of what makes a classic lovely ladies program of the old worlds, but she chose not follow the same stance on her last program, why? After all, when all said and done, beyond the Olympics, beyond COP, beyond our life time, what are the true universal values of excellence for someone who have proved she can do it all and have done it all? What does skating for herself mean @ 2nd Olympics?

Art at its purist in ideology and execution does not conform to any standards of conventions. Art is not a popularity contest vote by democracy, nor created for entertainment or commercial values. It is certainly free from any established standard of cultural identity, or institutional standard of believes other than the laws which it need to abide by in order to thrive. Rather, at its core essences, it is about peeling away the layers of banality to advance with purest intentions to discover new truths and merits that are valuable to the artists while they seek new standards of excellence, of transcendence.

The most important pieces of art work of any great artist are rarely about any particular techniques, execution, imitation, composition, replication of previous successes, certainly not about any particular calculated intentions for mass appeal. The lower end of art spectrum are usually done through aesthetics superficiality, instant gratification through emotionally calculation but they lack in substance, essences and failure to harness real wealth of knowledge, experience and insights to 'critically' examine the quality of decisions to discover and realise a new type of work. Elite learning of the highest order is a solitary process of uncompromising self actualisation that is honest, authentic to the artist life learning, journey and experience. It is what rendered them unique individuals with unique perspectives and opinions. It seeks to break down barriers, to go outside the box, for liberty and be truly artistically free. Had the same tradition been followed again and again, art became stagnant, it is stuck in its ways, it might as well be dead.

Art when done well has the capability to expand intellectual horizons. It can expand the imagination, shook believes, cause self doubts, and takes you way outside your comfort zone. Artists should never be afraid to challenge perceptions by risks taking, have courage and experimentation to seek authentic realisation.

There are very few programs appeals to me in the true artistic sense of the word under this COP tick list system, but that hasn't stop me declaring these best programs this quad upon first viewings are Hanyu's Romeo and Juliet, Tessa and Scott's Carmen, Jeremy's Muse, Patrick's Elegie, Mao's Jupiter, Dai's 2011 programs. The one constant reason that keeps me watching this sport is Yuna Kim, always surprising, who's team continues to make bold choices, reinvent herself season after season, challenge audience's perceptions, step outside her comfort zone, not for the sake of reinvention, but about making the right choices at the right time. She knows herself, although always ambitious, she rarely over promise. Like all greatest artists, her arts has aspect of art imitate life, and her Adios certainly will be on her own terms. I am really looking forward to see if she can deliver as it is intended.

The thing is, what makes YuNa so popular, I believe, is that she has an on-ice aesthetic that is very approachable for the casual fan. That is her strength and perhaps her weakness. I believe it is helpful to consider Aron Copeland's treatise how to listen to music as a guide here. He broke down the listening experience in three parts; the sensuous plane, the expressive plane and the sheer music plane. The idea of course is that if one wants to experience full appreciation of a piece it is best to have an ear for all three planes. But here is the kicker, most of us take pleasure almost exclusively from the sensuous plane, less include the expressive plane and fewer still the sheer music plane (that actually takes education). Does she look elegant, beautiful, graceful, dynamic and powerful...? That is YuNa. She can't get away without that; her programs HAVE to incorporate the sensual aspects of her skating or at least not diminish them. These are her aces and these are the things she needs to always accent. A program of hers no matter how sophisticated and challenging is best if its ultimate goal is in service of showing these essential qualities of her skating. When she hits ALL those notes it is infectious and transcendent; it makes the pauses dramatic, the footwork artistic, the jumps a statement, and last but not least a chance to consider the actual structure of the program.

Ven

Match Penalty
I have no idea what Yuna is going for with this program. I will wait and see in Sochi, as I believe only now she is really trying to polish the presentation.

I think the previous performances her concentration was on getting required levels and confidence with her jumps.

That said, great art touches on universal emotions that all humans share. We spend most of our lives creating and dealing with false emotions, facades, and the like. We act one way with our family, and another in front of business associates. We scream "indecent!" when we see things that offend us, but often we are guilty in private. Life is filled with so much illusion and falsehood, but art overcomes all, and reveals truth in life. This concept of "mimesis" is what Aristotle described thousands of years ago when he famously said art represents "life is like that".

This is why snobby avante-garde "artistes" are not successful. They don't move people's emotions, because they are not depicting life in truth and sincerity. They get caught up in an intellectual game. Art is making people feel emotions, not about making them think. Thinking is only a curiosity that often complicates our lives and makes us think more. The pleasure we receive from watching a performer dance or skate, or seeing a movie or play, or reading a book ... when done well, these give us a feeling that most or all of our questions have been answered, not posed a whole bunch of new ones to ponder.

So in response to someone like os, why would someone bother to choose deep and meaningful music like Adios Nonino, only to strip out the emotion? There are better musical vehicles for such intentions. Perhaps if Yuna and David's intent is to water down Adios Nonino -- as some of you suggested -- perhaps it would have been altogether better to choose different music in the first place.

Look at someone like Akiko's LP this year...Yuna is a better skater than Akiko, but that program is moving. People love it. Even Julia's program they love for some reason, despite the fact she does not give performance.

There really is something to be said for just touching the audience. Skating does not have to get in the way, the very best performances are both technically out of this world and emotional at the same time.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
Ven, I don't think anyone here gives a jack about what you think.

Yuna is the most musical skater ever, and because of that, whatever music she skates to, no matter what kind of music it is, it becomes something of an art and worth appreciating. Yuna's programs this year are no exception.

Ven

Match Penalty
whatever music she skates to, no matter what kind of music it is, it becomes something of an art and worth appreciating.

Even if she falls, it's the most beautiful fall ever, right? :laugh:

It's a good thing the judges and audience all agree with your opinion, that her simply doing something, makes it the best thing ever done. How empty those words are.

Yuna is the most musical skater ever

She's my favorite and I think she's very musical, but no, she's not the best ever in that regard. I think you'll have a hard time finding anyone to agree with you who isn't an uber.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I don't know what is worse: a trolling Yuna-hater who spews vitrol or a newbie who proclaims to be a Yuna fan who has no idea about Yuna's skating and who just cannot shut up. :bang:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I don't know what is worse: a trolling Yuna-hater who spews vitrol or a newbie who proclaims to be a Yuna fan who has no idea about Yuna's skating and who just cannot shut up. :bang:
Please, don't be harsh to others like this. I believe Ven is the good one who is very fair, he/she didn't like Yuna's FS this time and that just about it, nothing more, everyone has the right to have their opinion, as long as they don't break the bar, I have learned to respect it.

I am a big Yuna's fan too and I also don't think she is the best ... ever, I just don't like to use that phrase for anyone :biggrin:

YunaBliss

On the Ice
I am not dissing anybody for not saying Yuna is the best ever, although anyone who doesn't think she is among the best ever is just a moron.

Name me one other skater who breathes music through every pore of her body when skating and can become one with the music. Yuna may not be perfect, but in this regard, she is better than any skater I've seen.

YunaVN

Rinkside
I am a Yuna big fan (hahah my names). Yuna is very graceful, no doubt but it is not great to speak that there is not any skater can breath through the music and enjoy music while skating, there are many like Akiko Suzuki, Jason Brown, Yea-ji Shin (my coach), Patrick Chan,... but Yuna is the best of the best, it is hard to find a gap of straight skating without emotion in her programs :D

minze

Medalist

Are you serious? I have my disagreements with Ven, but ever since he or she joined this forum all her/she have done is defend Yuna and say she has no peer, she is the best skater ever. So, she has the nerve to say something about Yuna's LP and all of the sudden she attacked by her fellow uber. Interesting. And by the way someone who does not think Yuna is one of the best is not a moron. The person might be only a casual fan of the sport, or plain and simple not like Yuna, that does not make them a moron

minze

Medalist
I am not dissing anybody for not saying Yuna is the best ever, although anyone who doesn't think she is among the best ever is just a moron.

Name me one other skater who breathes music through every pore of her body when skating and can become one with the music. Yuna may not be perfect, but in this regard, she is better than any skater I've seen.

Carolina Kostner, Akiko Suzuki, Dai, and Mao Asada and the list could go on for days.

Manitou

Medalist
That said, great art touches on universal emotions that all humans share. We spend most of our lives creating and dealing with false emotions, facades, and the like. We act one way with our family, and another in front of business associates. We scream "indecent!" when we see things that offend us, but often we are guilty in private. Life is filled with so much illusion and falsehood, but art overcomes all, and reveals truth in life. This concept of "mimesis" is what Aristotle described thousands of years ago when he famously said art represents "life is like that".

This is why snobby avante-garde "artistes" are not successful. They don't move people's emotions, because they are not depicting life in truth and sincerity. They get caught up in an intellectual game. Art is making people feel emotions, not about making them think. Thinking is only a curiosity that often complicates our lives and makes us think .

I really like what you said and you put it very well. However, you must agree feeling art is very subjective. Your "universal" emotions may be very much different from my "universal" emotions.
And that applies, of course, to our perception of skating performance. To me Yuna is a perfectionist school valedictorian, who draws my respect and, to some extend, emotions, but they are rather on intellectual basis, rather than pure natural and artistic. At the same, a skater who brings my natural, I would say instinctual, therefore purely artistic, emotions is Yulia. The reason I look at it this way is that I can very well define why Yuna's performance affects me, as it comes from intellectual reasoning, but I have no clue why I am drawn to Yulia's performances. It's not youth or innocence, because there are many such performers and I am not really drawn to it.
I think it has to do with art of portraying emotions without even knowing it, being emotional without acting it. I don't know. You see, if I knew it then it would not be truly "universal". The reason that I cannot define is why it's so strong, powerful and irresistible to me. Someone here said that her performance was the only one that got standing ovation at Euros. Because people truly feel it. Not because they can calculate it, but they are truly touched.

Krislite

Medalist
All this talk of emotion makes me wish Yuna had gone with os168's suggestion that she skate to Terminator and portray a cold, emotionless, unstoppable killer robot. ;)