Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast

Thread: Yuna Kim's short and long programs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    You're trying too hard.
    You don't care enough. Jumping and spinning with music in the background must be your cup of tea?

~high art~
    Both programs are brilliant and there's nothing I have to defend. Sorry not sorry, doubters.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    Both programs are brilliant and there's nothing I have to defend. Sorry not sorry, doubters.
    I don't think Ven is doubtful; he is sincere as I see. he is making a constructive criticism here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Well I would argue the climax is there but isn't properly set up right. The program doesn't correctly build to the climax. It just comes out of nowhere, because of the music cut.

Also, I'm not saying Yuna did meaningless attack after attack in her previous Adios Nonino performances. She doesn't skate like Julia at all (thankfully). I'm saying the emotional depth is lacking because ... in the same way Julia just meaninglessly attacks from one element to the next, it seems like Yuna floats or glides from one segment of the music to the next (in this case, without purpose). It's funny to contrast, because all of the emphasis in Julia's approach is trying her hardest, whereas Yuna the elements just get in her way. Then she brushes them off like nothing, no effort, that's the superiority of her skating.

Some other Yuna fans have argued her program is abstract, supposed to be like free verse poetry, whatever you want to call it. I don't think so ... remember, it's disadvantageous for Yuna to just float around without purpose. It's a more ethereal effect than someone like Julia ... but it's not complete enough to touch the audience. She needs purpose, and even Gershwin had purpose -- she was flirting and playing with the audience for 2 and a half minutes, drawing us in, then finishing with a dramatic climax to take our breath away. She wasn't just riffing notes for 4 minutes as some people claimed.

Now, what will we get for the final version of Adios Nonino? I'm not sure. I do think her conditioning and injury caused her to focus only on technical issues earlier this season, so I think just now Yuna has started concentrating harder on presentation. She will be better in Sochi for sure. Whether that's enough to make the program completely come together and move someone like me to tears, I don't know, but we'll see!
    Fair observation. I think what Kim needs is not conventional approach to Adios N.; perhaps it's a wrong approach. I'd like to connect A.N. to her gala , "all of me"; something jazzy; lighthearted detachment rather than outright expressed sadness; poker face. well, just random thoughts.

Custom Title
    I thought she said after nationals that the LP costume might be altered still.
    Yeah, but that's just right after nationals. Even her designer has ready to change a bit cause she feel its not completely. But lately, Yuna's agency confirmed the costume will be the same as nationals, no more change, Yuna feel great, done deal!!

I like the new version a bit more than old one, not love so much anyway, but so what, I don't care about the dress, just give me the marvelous skate, the rest will be history

Banned
    Ah, that sucks, I hate the split personality black/purple. :(

Really loved that original black dress, it was one of my new favorites.
    (yellow one still looks good)

Custom Title
    Ah, that sucks, I hate the split personality black/purple. :(

Really loved that original black dress, it was one of my new favorites.
    (yellow one still looks good)
    Both are fine for me, but the old make Yuna looks a bit ... old, too sexy, somehow darker than usual so I prefer the new one. I like something light, graceful, just beautiful

Rinkside
    the music is excruciating once you can actually hear it. she could have any music in the background and skate the same program. and she may well have done that. but she is a fine skater.

Talk about split personality going on this thread. ROFL.

Sorry, as much of a fan I am of hers, this program makes me antsy. For the life of me I don't get how some have actually dismissed Clowns in favor of this long program; it's so "white toast in warm milk". Obviously she can still win gold with it but in its current state it's not likely to persuade any spectators who aren't judges, especially if the Sochi audience have already seen a clean performance by Julia. It needs tweaking even if that only means breaking up the languid pace of it; perhaps increase the speed of her spin to a kind of fast musical punctuation, for example. I sure hope David and her have been in discussion. I would rather her go out with something brilliant and lose than her win with something so pedestrian although either way I wont be sad if she wins gold.

Quote Originally Posted by binky View Post
    the music is excruciating once you can actually hear it...
    I had the exact opposite experience. The first couple of times I saw the program, with bad sound, I thought the music was awful. Then when a couple of fan cams from Korean Nationals were posted with better sound, I liked the music a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid
    For the life of me I don't get how some have actually dismissed Clowns in favor of this long program; it's so "white toast in warm milk". Obviously she can still win gold with it but in its current state it's not likely to persuade any spectators who aren't judges, especially if the Sochi audience have already seen a clean performance by Julia.
    There is no question that the general audience will like Send in the Clowns better. It is an emotionally appealing program, a throwback to Peggy Fleming. For the long program, all she has to do is hit the elements and rack up the points.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    There is no question that the general audience will like Send in the Clowns better. It is an emotionally appealing program, a throwback to Peggy Fleming. For the long program, all she has to do is hit the elements and rack up the points.
    Bravo

Come on guys, this is Yuna's last season, we don't have enough time to complain about whether the program is amazing or not (by her top gold standard of course) We will never see her "new season programs" again, let's treasure it as much as we can, please!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    Talk about split personality going on this thread. ROFL.
    Seriously. I don't think I've ever seen Yuna fans going at it with each other before.

The Olympic season sure makes everyone antsy.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyenghita View Post
    Bravo

Come on guys, this is Yuna's last season, we don't have enough time to complain about whether the program is amazing or not (by her top gold standard of course) We will never see her "new season programs" again, let's treasure it as much as we can, please!!!
    Well said.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I'm sure Yuna and David are aware, they are professionals and made creative choices. I just don't happen to agree this time. I think to really bring out the performance in Adiós Nonino you need a deep and moving interpretation. What a performance it could have been, coming from a 23 year old woman who has matured beyond her years since that teenage girl we got to know in the last quad.

My sadness about the program is because it feels the approach is cavalier, like we are getting something we've already seen from Yuna years before, just different music playing in the background. Lackluster is a good word.

BUT, I reserve the right to change my mind depending on the final product. It's not over until it's over, and we'll know next month at Sochi. I will keep my fingers crossed until then.

No matter what, we got Send in the Clowns this year, which is at least one more program I can watch over and over again.
    This is pretty how I feel. The originality of Les Mis is arguable but I feel like it did bring out some emotion in Yuna that we hadn't seen before. I thought, wow, Yuna's giving me shivers for the first time. This new program? Not such much. But like you, I totally reserve the right to eat my hat if the final program is different. And Send in the Clowns gives me shivers, so hurray!

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 LastLast