Yuna Kim's short and long programs | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Yuna Kim's short and long programs

Kirk

Rinkside
Well chapis is a long time Mao fan forum member so it is clear why she/he is so acting out making such a fuss out of this clearly inflated score which everyone concedes. I am sure he/she is very annoyed that he/she can't say that all of Mao's elements are en par or superior to Kim's. Lol.

Barb

Record Breaker
I don't know if I would say they are better but they are very good--when she does them. Gracie also does the loop and can do a 7 triple program.
THIS. And I think her 3lz in this combination in this program is better than Yuna's and 3t equal,it is not wonky.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Well chapis is a long time Mao fan forum member so it is clear why she/he is so acting out making such a fuss out of this clearly inflated score which everyone concedes. I am sure he/she is very annoyed that he/she can't say that all of Mao's elements are en par or superior to Kim's. Lol.

Can we PLEASE not turn this into another Yuna vs. Mao debate? There's another thread on the front page for that very purpose. Thanks. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Pretty much.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Barb

Record Breaker

So I should not to say that for me is absurd that someone said 80 points of YUna is very reasonable but all others nationals and skaters are inflated? Because I am responding to that claim of pangtongfan to be exact. Yuna skated fine but we should to accept that it was inflated like all nationals comp.
And I can to say Mao's 3loop and 3a are better than yuna's, 3s and 2a equal. Spiral and step seq better than Yuna's, spins equal.

Robeye

Final Flight
I'd actually give Yuna the edge over Gracie in terms of toe jumps, but not edge jumps. Gracie's toe jumps do get a bit wonky, but her edge jumps are more powerful than those of Yuna.
The "scientific" way of comparing jumping prowess would be: chart all of the possible permutations for the outcome of a jump, and then probability-weight each permutation, based on some rationally constructed set of known historical outcomes. The summation of all of the probability-weighted permutations is the "average" probable outcome for that jump for the skater. Repeat for every jump. This is the type of thing that the numbers crunchers do routinely in baseball.

The only practical way to do this is with a computer spreadsheet. But my gut intuition is that such an exercise would show that Yuna is a significantly better jumper than Gracie has yet managed to become.

Sure, occasionally Gracie can let rip a humongous jump. But this does not make her a better jumper (yet), just as Mark McGwire was not a better power hitter than Babe Ruth, Barry Bonds, or Frank Thomas, even though he may have launched some of the longest home runs.

Krislite

Medalist
I'd actually give Yuna the edge over Gracie in terms of toe jumps, but not edge jumps. Gracie's toe jumps do get a bit wonky, but her edge jumps are more powerful than those of Yuna.

Gracie's toe jumps have raw power to them--maybe even higher than Yuna's. But when you compare their 3Lutz/3Toe I'd say Yuna's is faster and more fluid. Gracie gets incredible lift, though. At least before she moved to Frank. Something seems different about her jumps lately, as if she's dialing them down on purpose. She'd definitely be a formidable opponent to the top skaters if she could only be more consistent.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Gracie's toe jumps have raw power to them--maybe even higher than Yuna's. But when you compare their 3/3 I'd say Yuna's is faster and more fluid. Gracie gets incredible lift, though. At least before she moved to Frank. Something seems different about her jumps lately, as if she's dialing them down on purpose. She'd definitely be a formidable opponent to the top skaters if she could only be more consistent.

Yes, you said as much a few months ago. ;)

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...dies-jumper(s)&p=707100&viewfull=1#post707100

ForeverFish

Medalist
Gracie's toe jumps have raw power to them--maybe even higher than Yuna's. But when you compare their 3/3 I'd say Yuna's is faster and more fluid. Gracie gets incredible lift, though. At least before she moved to Frank. Something seems different about her jumps lately, as if she's dialing them down on purpose. She'd definitely be a formidable opponent to the top skaters if she could only be more consistent.

Frank tuned down her jumps -- she got more height and distance before, but with her frantic style of skating, it was easier to lose control. When Gracie becomes a more consistent competitor, I think they'll feel comfortable unleashing her full technical ability.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
The "scientific" way of comparing jumping prowess would be: chart all of the possible permutations for the outcome of a jump, and then probability-weight each permutation, based on some rationally constructed set of known historical outcomes. The summation of all of the probability-weighted permutations is the "average" probable outcome for that jump for the skater.

:scratch: Admit it! you are a rocket scientist! :p

Robeye

Final Flight
:scratch: Admit it! you are a rocket scientist! :p
I happily cede that title to Mathman ;). I'm just a guy trying to make sense of things in skating without constantly resorting to the crutch of "it's all subjective, anyway..." :)

Peach

Rinkside
Can I ask you where you found the protocols? I wanted to have a closer look at yuna's and I'm curious as to how park so youn and kim hae jin did. Thanks

Oh I just saw a picture of it. It was just Yuna's protocol so I didn't see Haejin's or So Youn's protocol

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Wow, how did you both remember and find that post so quickly? That was actually almost a year ago! :laugh:

I was actually looking for my post and you had happened to answer it. Hahaha! Google is very helpful if you know what to look for.