Watching the games online... | Golden Skate

Watching the games online...

Mar

Rinkside
Hi, everyone! My name is Mariana and I'm new around here. I'm from Uruguay, South America, and I enjoy figure skating very much. I'm really excited for the upcoming Olympic Games, and I'm trying to figure out the way to watch the broadcast online.
I do have TV and cable with some international sports channels, but it'd be easier for me to watch it in my computer (due to my time zone, the events won't be at a convenient time to use the TV in my house!).
Do you know if there are pages to watch the games online? I remember watching NBC's broadcast of the 2010 US Nationals online.

Thanks in advance and have a good day! :)

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Holá Mariana!
Welcome here :)
All I can tell you for now is that you should stick with us. There will be discussions here about the broadcast, and "do you have a link?" will be the hottest question at the beginning of a comp.
That's usually only available just before the competition starts, but we share as soon as we found one :)
By the way: I live in Germany, also known as "Geoblock Capital of the World", so I'm relying a lot on those links! ;)

tvteka.com

That's what I use to watch skating. It enables you to watch most Russian TV channels both live and on-demand for $12 per month. I am pretty certain every skating competition will be broadcast in full, given how popular the sport is in Russia (and they're holding the Olympics).

Google Chrome will translate the whole page so you can get around.

Mar

Rinkside
Thank you very much, Frenchie and Ziggy! :)

Hope to see nice performances!

Alex D

Record Breaker
Holá Mariana!
Welcome here :)
All I can tell you for now is that you should stick with us. There will be discussions here about the broadcast, and "do you have a link?" will be the hottest question at the beginning of a comp.
That's usually only available just before the competition starts, but we share as soon as we found one :)
By the way: I live in Germany, also known as "Geoblock Capital of the World", so I'm relying a lot on those links! ;)

I believe ARD & ZDF might show some of it, they announced 4 internet streams for Sochi + show a tiny bit on TV as well.

Mar

Rinkside
Hi, Alex! Thanks for replying. I have no idea what ARD or ZDF are! Can you enlighten me? :)

sneakypie

Rinkside
Hi, Alex! Thanks for replying. I have no idea what ARD or ZDF are! Can you enlighten me? :)

They are the German public tv stations (our version of BBC). The streams will likely be geoblocked so you may have to work around that. I will post links as soon as they are available.

swier

Spectator
Thank you everybody to keep all us geoblocked in the loop. Really appreciate all the help. (Even for the technologically challenged amongst us)

Alex D

Record Breaker
They are the German public tv stations (our version of BBC). The streams will likely be geoblocked so you may have to work around that. I will post links as soon as they are available.

Correct and yes sadly Blocked :(

Coriana

On the Ice
tvteka.com

That's what I use to watch skating. It enables you to watch most Russian TV channels both live and on-demand for $12 per month. I am pretty certain every skating competition will be broadcast in full, given how popular the sport is in Russia (and they're holding the Olympics).

Google Chrome will translate the whole page so you can get around.

Do you know if Teka Cnopt is streaming 4 C's ? I've found it much easier to pay with PAYPAL btw, as google doesn't translate the credit card form and there are extra blanks.

Alex D

Record Breaker
What I am most interested in is actually the video on demand feature. Are there any media companies who announced something like that?

I checked the schedule and there are a few collisions for instance with Biathlon and FS, so that I can only watch one at a time. The BBC offered the catch up service for London 2012 and I loved it as I could watch everything when I came back from London.

Would be great if something similar is in place this year, geo blocked doesn't matter to me I can get around that ;)

Dutchie

Rinkside
I'm also new ;)
I'm in the Netherlands and I was hoping to find an English broadcast. Does anybody know if NBC's online sportscast be available here? I suppose Eurosport may be the next best option??

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm in the Netherlands and I was hoping to find an English broadcast. Does anybody know if NBC's online sportscast be available here? I suppose Eurosport may be the next best option??

Hey Dutchie

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy your time here! ;) :biggrin:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid Eurosport aren't showing the Winter Olympics. Here is how I broke the news on here about a month ago:

I don't know if anybody picked up on it during the last minutes of the Oberstdorf Gala coverage last night, but Simon revealed that Eurosport will be covering the Europeans, 4 Continents and Worlds... but NOT THE OLYMPICS!!!! :cry:

So, we're going to have to make do with Sue and Robin.

I agree that they are not "bad" - at least they know what they're talking about! ;) But, there's not the same excitement or enthusiasm that we get from the Eurosport boys (and girl, if Joanne Conway does become a regular feature).

But, at least we have the BBC to watch on. It's the people in European countries that are not getting Olympic coverage from their national broadcasters that I feel sorry for. Whereas they would have had Eurosport to fall back on in the past, they won't have that luxury this year. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

On the other hand, another member in Holland posted this in reply:

Ah, so I had heard right after all last month when the Dutch commentators said Eurosport wasn't gonna air Sochi, only 'the road to Sochi'. It was confusing, but now it says so on the website, as well.

Well, I fully expect simultaneous livestreams of all the figure skating via the NOS (the Dutch version of the BBC), but sadly those are usually geoblocked outside Holland.

So, hopefully you will be able to take advantage of the NOS livestreams.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm also new ;)
I'm in the Netherlands and I was hoping to find an English broadcast. Does anybody know if NBC's online sportscast be available here?

I'll put it this way: NBC itself is not making its online coverage available outside the U.S.

Whether resourceful viewers outside the U.S. find a way to gain access to the NBC online coverage is a separate question.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'm also new ;)
If you can get around the geo-block, there are also the BBC livestreams. And I assume, between Ned 1, the ARD & ZDF, Belgian and the BBC channels, we should have access to a *lot* of coverage on television. But English specifically, other than the BBC may be difficult.

Dutchie

Rinkside
Thank you all for your very helpful posts!! I'm not the most technical savy in the world so I hope I can figure it out in time before the events! As an American abroad and with only basic dutch knowledge, I was really hoping to get the english version somewhere. I will keep an eye out for any links in the coming weeks or else I will just have to use it as an excuse to build my dutch vocabulary! :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thank you all for your very helpful posts!! I'm not the most technical savy in the world so I hope I can figure it out in time before the events! As an American abroad and with only basic dutch knowledge, I was really hoping to get the english version somewhere. I will keep an eye out for any links in the coming weeks or else I will just have to use it as an excuse to build my dutch vocabulary! :)

When the BBC streams come online (I don't know when that will be), I'll post the links and you can check it out to see if they are geo-blocked.

On a different, and more worrying, note, I saw the following post on Carolina's Facebook page:

Cari fans, vi informiamo che, nel rispetto delle linee guida stabilite dall'IOC, non potremo pubblicare foto, video, informazioni su trasmissioni tv durante i Giochi di Sochi. Cercheremo comunque, in collaborazione con Carolina, di tenervi informati il meglio possibile sulla gara. Grazie per la comprensione. Lo staff carolina-kostner.it

Dear fans, we'd like to inform you that according to IOC guidelines we won't be able to post pictures, videos or any information regarding tv broadcast during the Sochi Games. In cooperation with Carolina we will do our best to keep you updated on the competition. Thanks for your understanding. carolina-kostner.it staff

Liebe Fans, wir möchten euch informieren, dass wir aufgrund der IOC Guidelines während der Spiele in Sochi keine Fotos, Videos oder Informationen über TV-Übertragungen posten werden. Wir versuchen unser Bestes, euch trotzdem in Zusammenarbeit mit Carolina über die Wettkämpfe auf dem Laufenden zu halten. Danke für euer Verständnis, carolina-kostner.it staff

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153726387455024

So, I was wondering - what does that mean for us on here? Is the forum going to get into legal trouble if we post TV schedules or links to photos, videos, livestreams, etc.?! :eek:

Also, are our favourite skating video uploaders on YouTube liable to have their accounts cancelled if they upload Olympic videos?! :eek:

In which case, we had better make sure we are fully up-to-date with all our viewing before the Olympics start, just in case the videos disappear! ;)

(Note to self - track down Universiade videos...)

CaroLiza_fan

Rikku

Just enjoying the skating
Final Flight
I'm not 100% sure so please don't take it as a fact or official explanation, but I think that, among other things like the IOC wanting to be the only ones making money off their logo and stuff, has to do with athletes and other accredited people not posting links and pics and videos, or any other 'insider content'. I remember that during the Summer Games 1996 a German track and field athlete got warned by the IOC for interviewing his teammates during the opening ceremony from the inside of the stadium. They can take your accreditation for something like that, so I'm guessing Caro's team wants to stay on the safe side.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Tbh, posting any Videos where you dont have copyrights of is illegal.

This has nothing to do with the IOC actually ;), just that they might actually use their power to strike those uploaders :)

AS for vids and photos (self made), it can indeed be forbidden, we had this at Nebelhorn last year. No non official moving pics allowed there.

That you guys post links btw. Could indeed hurt the forum, at least if you post illegal streams.

We had a case at another forum where we were warned for that.

That said i OFC. Dont know if GS has any contracts with the ISU, TV stations etc. So keep that in mind ;) its only a prob if there is no agreement or royalty payment.