U.S. 2014 Olympic Team announcement (A) Press conferences & (B) Google+ Hangout | Golden Skate

U.S. 2014 Olympic Team announcement (A) Press conferences & (B) Google+ Hangout

ice coverage

Record Breaker
U.S. 2014 Olympic Team announcement (A) Press conferences & (B) Google+ Hangout

U.S. Olympic Team announcement on Sun Jan 12: (A) Press conferences & (B) Google+ Hangout

(A) icenetwork will cover the two press conferences on Jan 12 where the 2014 Olympic Figure Skating Team will be announced.
These will take place at the following times:
  • Noon – Ladies, pairs, ice dance
  • 7:10 p.m. (REVISED time = 7:30 pm) – Men’s and Olympic Team Event
Source: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2014...-prudential-u-s-figure-skating-championships/

(B) Google+ Hangout with the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Olympic Team
Sun, Jan 12, 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm ET
Hosted by Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes and YouTube Star Michael Buckley, fans will be able to meet, and ask questions to the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Olympic Team on the same day the team has been named!

dardar1126

On the Ice
Twitter:

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 10m
Now there is a question over whether Polina Edmunds' junior scores can be used to meet Olympic qualifying minimum. USFS officials unsure

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't remember a time when someone might not make the Olympic team even thought they made the top 3 and the skaters in question weren't injured. And it could happen in two disciplines. Crazy.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Twitter:

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 10m
Now there is a question over whether Polina Edmunds' junior scores can be used to meet Olympic qualifying minimum. USFS officials unsure

From ISU Communication No. 81, "Entries ISU Championships 2014" (incl. the Olympics)
The Minimum Total Technical Score (not including Component Scores) is a Technical Score and must have been reached in an ISU recognized International Competition (as per Article 38, paragraph 7 of the ISU Constitution and Rule 107, paragraphs 1 to 9 of the ISU General Regulations) during the ongoing or immediately preceding season in both segments, Short Program/Short Dance and Free Skating/Free Dance (See ISU Special Regulations Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance 2012, Rule 378, paragraph 3).

Emphasis added.

p.s. Hi, dardar. Nice to see you posting over here. :)

dardar1126

On the Ice
Hey there! :yay: I like that y'all still have FREE event discussions!! ;)

EDIT: via Twitter...

Philip Hersh ‏@olyphil 22m
Now USFS tells us they are sure Polina Edmunds' junior scores do count for Olympic qualifying. Hello, anybody home?

:popcorn:

Phil Hersh being totally clueless as usual. :rolleye: Now there's a surprise.

How do people like this become published journalists? :bang:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Phil Hersh being totally clueless as usual. :rolleye: Now there's a surprise.

How do people like this become published journalists? :bang:

By staying on top of an evolving story.
USFS, if anyone, apparently was clueless on the question of whether Edmunds is eligible.
Hersh was tweeting the changing outlook at USFS (as opposed to his own outlook). Not fair to blame the messenger.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the info golden411, much appreciated. btw I like your new Avatar!

aussie_SKATES

On the Ice
The TES for the Olympic Games is 20.00 for the short program and 36.00 for the free skate.

I went to the ISU site and checked out Edmunds' season best scores. Edmunds earned a TES of 33.35 for her short program at the 2013 ISU JGP Mexico Cup. She earned a TES of 61.82 for her free skate in the same competition.

She has qualified easily for Sochi in both instances.

Looks like Ashley will be selected pursuant to Article 2.1 on pg 11.

Possibly. But there is also the possibility that this whole document is so much baloney. The USFSA has to make sure that Nationals is not classified as an official "Olympic qualifying event." I noticed in the television coverage last night that the commentators went out of their way to say, over and over, "no, no, this will be decided by a committee."

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Press conference? Handout? Pfft. With all the Uber Trauma Drama, I smell Lifetime Movie, one prefaced by their usual "Based on a true story..."
:popcorn:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can anyone remember the last time that it wasn't a foregone conclusion who was going to be named for the Olympics team after Nationals? Now we have two spots up for grabs in Ladies and Pairs. Insane.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
When trying to picture what this upcoming announcement is going to look like, I picture a letter with the USFSA statement on who the Olympic Team is going to be, in a closed envelope, laying on a chair in an empty Press Conference room.
No one to announce their decision, they'll tweet the journalists to go ahead and open the letter by themselves! :laugh:
Whatever the decision, it's going to be a bloodbath!

leafygreens

Final Flight
U.S. Olympic Team announcement on Sun Jan 12: (A) Press conferences & (B) Google+ Hangout

(A) icenetwork will cover the two press conferences on Jan 12 where the 2014 Olympic Figure Skating Team will be announced.
These will take place at the following times:
  • Noon – Ladies, pairs, ice dance
  • 7:10 p.m. – Men’s and Olympic Team Event
Source: http://skatingmagazineblog.com/2014...-prudential-u-s-figure-skating-championships/

Access available to registered users of IN. Registration is free, AFAIK. (Registered users are not the same as subscribers, AFAIK.)
https://web-secure.icenetwork.com/enterworkflow.do?flowId=registration.login

(B) Google+ Hangout with the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Olympic Team
Sun, Jan 12, 7:00 pm - 7:30 pm ET
Hosted by Olympic gold medalist Sarah Hughes and YouTube Star Michael Buckley, fans will be able to meet, and ask questions to the 2014 U.S. Figure Skating Olympic Team on the same day the team has been named!

Where is the direct link to the press conference video page? I only see the link to the backstage video.