Beautiful/Boo-tiful Lessons & Practices 3/31 - 4/6 | Golden Skate

Beautiful/Boo-tiful Lessons & Practices 3/31 - 4/6

C

Cinderella On Ice

Beautiful/Boo-tiful Lessons & Practices 3/31 - 4/6

Don't be shy! Tell us all about your good (beautiful) and bad (boo-tiful) practices and lessons this week. Also remind us if you are working toward a particular goal, and when you hope to reach it.

Happy skating!

C

Cinderella On Ice

Re: Beautiful/Boo-tiful Lessons & Practices 3/31 - 4/6

BOO-tiful: I'm in Las Vegas and Knoxville all week for work commitments and there is no skating on the horizon for me until the 8th. Probably this is good, because it will give the fractured wrist better healing tie. But I miss the ice!

L

Lanechka

Beautiful: Finally got that spin down. My spirals are improving on the ice. Off ice they're about 3 inches from being vertical. On ice they're like 4 1/2. Haha. First lesson with my coach Thursday, so I'll keep y'all updated.

Boo-tiful: I experimented with slide spirals and Sasha Curls. They hurt. Badly. :) I need to take power skating classes. My class teacher told me my edges are nice and sharp and my stroking is good, nice speed -- except backwards. I used to be able to zoom around doing back x-overs, but I dunno what happened, suddenly my speed has died. So time to plead with the parental units for power skating classes. :)

C

Cinderella On Ice

Lanechka - excuse my ignorance, but what goes on in a power skating class? I'm intrigued. I'm also thrilled to hear about your spirals, which sound awesome. I think I'm happy to have my spiral be 3" above the hip, let alone to have it be that close to being vertical. Any secrets to getting that great stretch?

L

Lanechka

Well, I took gymnastics for awhile (mom took me to those kiddy classes when I was like two and I started again when I was about five and it went on til I was about twelve; the place closed down), so I'm already pretty flexible, but I stretch a LOT. :) I stand around and stretch. Every night I have my stepmom hold my leg up (vertical and believe you me it hurts the other leg AWFULLY but I can't get that extension on my own). And before every skating session I take ten minutes or so to stretch and stuff. I still have that extension problem on ice and off ice, but hey, it's getting better. My spirals today though were really bad. I fell on one. It's really embarrassing! Has anyone done that?

Power skating classes here are, to my knowledge, classes that help you with stamina, power, and speed. It's for hockey and figure skaters. :)

C

Cinderella On Ice

Oh yeah, Lanechka, face plant

Thanks for the perfect reminder that you've just got to stretch, stretch, stretch to get those extensions. Guess I'll have to ask hubby to raise that leg in the air. (Hope he doesn't get any ideas, tee hee.)

I haven't fallen (yet) on a spiral as an adult, but I remember a time in my "olden" days where I went to do one and lost my balance and just pitched face first into the ice. I had ice burns on my chin and nose and "snow" jammed up into my eyelids. Sheesh, it hurt! So sorry to hear you took a dive and hope you're feeling better now.