Novice level US Championships 2014 | Golden Skate

Novice level US Championships 2014

MasterB

Final Flight
I like skaters to at least have four different triples. Her Lutzes are huge. Kudos to her for doing two in tano fashion.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Did anyone see the Novice Ladies championship?

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2014/2014_us_fs_champs/results.html

Who is Vivian Le? She appears to only have 2 triples, the lutz and the toe. Her lutz got big GOE 3 out of 3 times. And her lowest GOE (0.9) is still higher than the highest from the entire Novice men. Her other solo lutz got 1.6 GOE.

Someone to watch for in the future?

I love her tano on the Lutz!

She's part of a group of skaters from the Dallas area, which includes Amber Glenn, who won a medal on the JGP circuit this fall.

Vivian won Midwestern novice sectionals a few months back. In fact three out of the four medalists at Midwestern sectionals were all from Dallas FSC.

I though the top three in Novice ladies were great. Paige Rydberg is promising as well though she only has the 3T and 3S. Sounds like she's working on a 3F and a 3S-3T combo...hope we see both soon. Looks like Rebecca Peng pulled off three different triples (loop, Lutz and flip), good for her!

I also really enjoyed the top three couples in Ice Dance! I thought the Gigi and LUca Becker had a lovely free dance to the Bee Gees and Eliana Groupman and Ian Somerville were quite adorable (though I found it a bit funny the skated to music about getting a fake ID).

And so awesome for Sarah Feng and Anthony Ponomarkenko to comeback from 5th in the first pattern dance to win the free dance to get on the podium. A nice redemption after their disappointing 8th place finish last year. I thought the dance was fun and their costumes were creative. They had some really creative lifts and moves...even in the pattern dance!

Both the Beckers and Groupman/Somerville are from Wheaton Academy in D.C. That rink could join the three Detroit rinks to be a force in Ice Dance in the future.

Ponomarkenko and Feng are based in Bay Area but train in Novi with Igor part of the year.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Surely someone to watch for the future. She was a joy to watch and I couldn't believe it when she executed 2 triple lutzes!

samson

Medalist
The final flight for novice ladies was quite a pleasure to watch! Vivian Le was great, her spins were really impressive and props to her for hitting both her lutzes in such strong fashion!

Paige Rydberg has such a great presence on the ice and I thought she did such a nice job to skate that well after being the leader in the sp and having to follow the record setting FS score of Vivian. I also really enjoyed her footwork.

And Rebecca Peng was great too. I really enjoyed her especially in the SP. She's got nice style and a good presentation.

If all three of these ladies continue to grow and master their triples we'll have a lot to look forward to in the coming years. I also thought the other ladies in this group did a very nice job. The US has some very engaging Novice ladies skaters.

Now to check out Paulo's skate!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Anyone knows why Vincent Zhou is not competing in either Junior or Novice Men. Is he injured?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyone knows why Vincent Zhou is not competing in either Junior or Novice Men. Is he injured?

Vincent Zhou was originally going to compete in senior men, but pulled out due to injury. According to tweets from Lynn Rutherford, his coach said his jumps are coming along, though he isn't doing all the triples yet.

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
And Rebecca Peng was great too. I really enjoyed her especially in the SP. She's got nice style and a good presentation.

Peng will be very good once she gets those spins under control. She could have pushed for silver with better spins.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Vivian has an excellent outside edge on her lutz. As for wanting skaters to have at least 4 triples, let's not forget that this is Novice level... only 6 jumping passes and landing 4 triples for a female novice skater, whether different or not, is pretty sensational (especially with two lutzes like that)!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vincent Zhou was originally going to compete in senior men, but pulled out due to injury. According to tweets from Lynn Rutherford, his coach said his jumps are coming along, though he isn't doing all the triples yet.

Zhou was going to compete in Senior Men? Isn't he like 13? Even Nathan Chen isn't skating against the Senior Men this year and he's older. Sounds like they were pushing him way too fast a 13 year old boy shouldn't be going against 20+ year old guys.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
only 6 jumping passes and landing 4 triples for a female novice skater, whether different or not, is pretty sensational (especially with two lutzes like that)!

Pretty sensational is spot on. This girl just broke Nationals record by a good margin.
Her TES is almost 10 points higher than Rebecca who went for 5 triples.
Again, a good lutz will carry you a long way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Zhou was going to compete in Senior Men? Isn't he like 13? Even Nathan Chen isn't skating against the Senior Men this year and he's older. Sounds like they were pushing him way too fast a 13 year old boy shouldn't be going against 20+ year old guys.

It's not all that illogical. He won the junior title and he had passed his senior level test.

Nathan Chen opted to stay another year because he hasn't won the junior title, but certainly he could have competed with 20+ year old guys with the score he got in the SP yesterday!