Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 20th anniversary of Nancy-Tonya incident

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Last year of college for me that year. I heard it over the radio and turned to my bf and said "I bet Harding is involved". I was at that Skate America in 1993 (I think I was, this was the one in Dallas, right?). And even though Tonya won the SP, she was noticeably a different skater. I liked her choreography, it was a somewhat flattering presentation, though that dress was ten pounds ago (on a five foot skater?). She lost her precision/greatness/shock value, something. That last season of hers she seemed to be skating out of desperation, and it was visible. As Weir would say, "She lost her aura". I don't think any coach would have done any better than Diane Rawlinson.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I dunno, some skaters just move on if they don't get what they want out of a coach (positive or negative)... Nicole Bobek was another one that never reached her full potential because she was too much of a rebel. It finally caught up with her in her personal life... but she seems (last I saw her) to have turned a corner. Hopefully Tonya has too (though judging by her comments she's still playing the victim). I was almost 9 when it happened and I looked up to both Nancy and Tonya and was crushed by the whole thing. Never really got over it. As a kid you don't think your heroes can have a "bad side"...
    I think Nicole is doing pretty well nowadays. I follow her on Twitter and she's always posting about her recovery and faith. And also she posts lots of skating pics!

Boycott the ISU
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think our generation just got tired of the over-saturated market of skating... too much of a good thing and all that.
    It's possible. Certainly didn't help the U.S. in later years. From a numbers standpoint, the more young kids at that age would have been interested in skating, the more likely the U.S. would have been to produce better top skaters in later years. The less interested kids get, there's a smaller talent pool and potentially weaker top skaters.

Nobody really followed figure skating back then. Even the girls, for which it's typically viewed as an accessible sport. I never really got into Michelle Kwan that much, nothing against her, I didn't dislike her, just thought she was overrated. Tara came and went in the blink of an eye. From the mid-90s to early 2000s, just nobody cared really, except when Michelle skated at the Olympics, but she could never win the big one. Sasha finally caught my eye in 2002 as one to watch, but she couldn't jump and some people questioned her work ethic (I have no clue about this). U.S. has been extraordinarily mediocre since.

On the Ice
    I watched this documentary from 1986 of her debut a nationals. It's really sad when you hear about the relationship between her and her mother.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GhzZOlP7MA

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    It's possible. Certainly didn't help the U.S. in later years. From a numbers standpoint, the more young kids at that age would have been interested in skating, the more likely the U.S. would have been to produce better top skaters in later years. The less interested kids get, there's a smaller talent pool and potentially weaker top skaters.

Nobody really followed figure skating back then. Even the girls, for which it's typically viewed as an accessible sport. I never really got into Michelle Kwan that much, nothing against her, I didn't dislike her, just thought she was overrated. Tara came and went in the blink of an eye. From the mid-90s to early 2000s, just nobody cared really, except when Michelle skated at the Olympics, but she could never win the big one. Sasha finally caught my eye in 2002 as one to watch, but she couldn't jump and some people questioned her work ethic (I have no clue about this). U.S. has been extraordinarily mediocre since.
    There was definitely oversaturation for a time. You'd see the same skaters performing the same routines in pro competitions over and over again. Not so bad for fans, but for casual viewers might be too much repetition. Also, the standards for pro competitions varied so much that some people didn't understand how the person won. Dick Button's World Pro Championship was the most worthwhile, but then he sold it and the new owners made it a pro-am competition for a year (Michelle won for the ladies) which blurred the lines even further. Add in cheesefests like Improve on ice and Battle of the Sexes and Ice Wars (which I actually did somewhat enjoy initially) and it was all over the place. Then there were some competitions broadcast where none of the pros were well-known (i.e. not Olumpic or World Champions), etc. Some of the pros felt there should have been a Pro Figure Skating organization to set standards, etc.

Sometimes a country just has a downswing... sometimes there's just a sudden phenom. I agree that success breeds interest which often leads to lots of hopefuls and a strong group of competitors. Interest in a lot of sports rises after the Olympics.... so, maybe the next US generation will be landing on ice soon.

Ice Wars was awesome!

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Figure Skating is an expensive sport. Obviously Tonya did not have the financial backing and family support like Nancy had to become a great competitive skater. It was a strange incident in the first place, one does not expect this sort of behavior in figure skating. Tonya certainly had some skating skills, she was a powerful jumper, it's too bad she had the "bad girl" image. Nancy on the other hand certainly was the opposite and had a good wholesome image. Not sure why we need to revisit this ugly incident 20 years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    Figure Skating is an expensive sport. Obviously Tonya did not have the financial backing and family support like Nancy had to become a great competitive skater.
    Nancy was just as blue collar, IIRC. She wasn't a spoiled little rich girl.

Nancy's father was a welder I think. Tonya's Dad was pretty unskilled, I thought, and they had to comb the streets and highways picking up cans.

Tonya was not at all bright and led with a right hook. But she did what she sadly felt was needed. I am sure all the comments re her hair/makeup/costumes got to her. Ultimately she failed as many of us do. We make a bad decision, or we trust the wrong people. It was the former for her.

She was a victim but not re the "affair" of the Skate Whack. It needs a name. She will never admit to her complicity in the attack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2