20th anniversary of Nancy-Tonya incident | Page 2 | Golden Skate

20th anniversary of Nancy-Tonya incident

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Figure Skating is an expensive sport. Obviously Tonya did not have the financial backing and family support like Nancy had to become a great competitive skater. It was a strange incident in the first place, one does not expect this sort of behavior in figure skating. Tonya certainly had some skating skills, she was a powerful jumper, it's too bad she had the "bad girl" image. Nancy on the other hand certainly was the opposite and had a good wholesome image. Not sure why we need to revisit this ugly incident 20 years later.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Figure Skating is an expensive sport. Obviously Tonya did not have the financial backing and family support like Nancy had to become a great competitive skater.

Nancy was just as blue collar, IIRC. She wasn't a spoiled little rich girl.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Nancy's father was a welder I think. Tonya's Dad was pretty unskilled, I thought, and they had to comb the streets and highways picking up cans.

Tonya was not at all bright and led with a right hook. But she did what she sadly felt was needed. I am sure all the comments re her hair/makeup/costumes got to her. Ultimately she failed as many of us do. We make a bad decision, or we trust the wrong people. It was the former for her.

She was a victim but not re the "affair" of the Skate Whack. It needs a name. She will never admit to her complicity in the attack.