Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Winter Olympics: Predictions Game Round 4

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    omg I forgot to enter the predictions! shoot!
    ok, as of right now, it's just after Lawrence/Swiegers skated, so no top 5 skaters yet... I hope you'll allow me this late entry
    anyway
    pairs:
    1 volozoshar/Trankov
    2 S/S
    3 S/K
    4 Duhamel Radford
    5 Pang Tong

rest will follow after the pairs sp is ovewr
    sorry
    Don't worry Frenchie, I am willing to use some descretion on your Pairs predictions if the scorers are. And I will now explain to everybody why.

Frenchie remembered about the Predictions well after the 14:00 GMT target time I had set to get them in. As he was concerned that he might be accused of changing his Pairs predictions if he posted them late, he sent them to me directly in a PM to prove what they were. But, then he started talking about something completely unrelated, and forgot to post them in the thread as well!

So, since he had already sent his Pairs Predictions to me privately, I am willing to accept them just this once, IF the scorers are willing too.

But, just don't forget again!!!

Mind you, I don't think I can accept that you think Pang / Tong will be 5th - they WILL be on the podium...!!!

By the way, I will reply to your question from the PM later on this morning, as I am now going to watch the Alpine Skiing and then the Nordic Combined!

CaroLiza_fan

I put a second alternate just in case
    Men:
    1. Yuzuru Hanyu
    2. Patrick Chan
    3. Evgeni Pluschenko
    4. Javier Fernandez
    5. Tatsuki Machida

6. Daisuke Takahashi
    7. Kevin Reynolds

Ladies:
    1. Yuna Kim
    2. Julia Lipnitskaia
    3. Mao Asada
    4. Adelina Sotnikova
    5. Gracie Gold

6. Carolina Kostner
    7. Akiko Suzuki

Dance:
    1. Meryl Davis/Charlie White
    2. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir
    3. Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev
    4. Nathalie Pechalat/Fabian Bourzat
    5. Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte

6. Elena Ilinykh/Nikita Katsalapov
    7. Kaitlin Weaver/Andrew Pojé

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    Don't worry Frenchie, I am willing to use some descretion on your Pairs predictions if the scorers are. (...)
    So, since he had already sent his Pairs Predictions to me privately, I am willing to accept them just this once, IF the scorers are willing too.

But, just don't forget again!!!
    Thanks! I promise I won't forget again - which is why I'm doing it right now...

DISCLAIMER: this is not what I hope for, but what I believe and/or fear will happen. (except Suzuki!)
    (On that note: CaroLiza_fan: I'd have LOVED for Pang/Tong to medal, but I FEARED they were not 100% fit and read how they admitted to not feeling great a few days ago... But even without a medal, I'm glad they did better than I thought and left yet another beautiful performance to be remembered - and watched on youtube - forever )

Men:
    1. Yuzuru Hanyu
    2. Patrick Chan
    3. Javier Fernandez
    4. Tatsuki Machida
    5. Evgeni Plushenko (fear)

6. Daisuke Takahashi

Ladies:
    1. Yu-Na Kim
    2. Julia Lipnitskaia (fear)
    3. Akiko Suzuki (hope... but I HAVE to put her there!)
    4. Carolina Kostner
    5. Adelina Sotnikova (fear)

6. Mao Asada

Dance:
    3. Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev (fear)
    4. Elena Ilinykh/Nikita Katsalapov
    5. Nathalie Péchalat/Fabian Bourzat

6. Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte
    (honorary mention for Weaver/Pojé, who, wherever they finish, should have finished higher!)

On the Ice
    This is a mixture of hopes and fears. I am too emotionally involved to make any proper "rational" predictions (it is an oxymoron, but whatever...)

Men:

1. Patrick Chan (I have a feeling this will be the end of Canada’s drought)
    2. Yuzuru Hanyu (I wish he could get OGM though, but I think Chan will deliver tonight)
    3. Evgeni Plushenko (TERROR! I admire him, respect him and I am a big fan, but no way he should get another medal, especially with his self celebrating Free Skate!)
    4. Daisuke Takahashi (wish he gets a medal though!)
    5. Javier Fernandez
    6. Tatsuki Machida

Ladies:

1. Yu-Na Kim (almost inevitable if she is the same competitor we used to see in the past)
    2. Julia Lipnitskaia (FEAR, AH SO MUCH FEAR!)
    3. Carolina Kostner (HOPE, AH SO MUCH HOPE!)
    4. Mao Asada (also wish Mao gets another Olympic medal)
    5. Adelina Sotnikova (fear, but mainly because I really dislike her programs)
    6. Gracie Gold

Dance:

3. Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev (fear)
    4. Elena Ilinykh/Nikita Katsalapov
    5. Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte (hope!)
    6. Nathalie Péchalat/Fabian Bourzat

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    if another one retires, I'll add another replacement:
    7 - Michal Brezina

That's it. I quit. I'm finished with making predictions.

All it seems to do is jinx the people I really want to do well!!!

First, the Pair I really wanted to join V/T and S/S on the podium (and who, after the Nebelhorn, I thought might even pinch the Silver Medal), only managed to get 4th place.

And, for that matter, one of the Pairs that I was expecting to be fighting for the Gold Medal had a disaster of a FS, and only just held onto the Bronze.

Men:

1. Yuzuru Hanyu, Japan
    2. Daisuke Takahashi, Japan
    3. Evgeni Plushenko, Russia
    4. Patrick Chan, Canada
    5. Javier Fernández, Spain
    6. Michal Březina, Czech Republic

Just for fun
    7. Tatsuki Machida, Japan
    8. Tomáš Verner, Czech Republic
    9. Florent Amodio, France
    10. Denis Ten, Kazakhstan
    11. Jason Brown, United States
    12. Brian Joubert, France
    13. Kevin Reynolds, Canada
    14. Jeremy Abbott, United States
    15. Yan Han, China
    Then, the guy I predicted to get the Men's Bronze Medal (but who I really wanted to get the Gold Medal!), has to withdraw after injuring himself in the warm-up for the SP.

Then, the guy I really wanted to get the Silver Medal drops from 4th in the SP to 6th overall, and finishes up as the bottom of the Japanese.

Ladies:

1. Mao Asada, Japan
    2. Kim Yun-A, South Korea
    3. Julia Lipnitskaia, Russia
    4. Akiko Suzuki, Japan
    5. Carolina Kostner, Italy
    6. Adelina Sotnikova, Russia

Just for fun
    7. Valentina Marchei, Italy
    8. Ashley Wagner, United States
    9. Gracie Gold, United States
    10. Kanako Murakami, Japan
    11. Li Zijun, China
    12. Kaetlyn Osmond, Canada
    13. Maé Bérénice Méité, France
    14. Elena Glebova, Estonia
    15. Elene Gedevanishvili, Georgia
    Then the wee girl that has touched me more this season than any other skater has a fall in her SP, and rather than being a lock-in for the Ladies Bronze Medal, is currently in 5th position and is going into the FS nearly 9 points behind the girl currently in third. And she now has to worry about the girls behind her.

Then the girl I was desperate to win the Ladies Gold Medal only managesSIXTEENTH in the SP.

On the plus side, 2 of the girls that I have long supported, but felt the best they could do this year is to be involved in the fight for the 4th position, are currently less than 1 point behind the current leader!!!

However, the other 2 girls that I have long supported and expected to be fighting over 4th are currently down in 8th and 12th positions. And, although they might climb up some places, I don't think they will get as high as I would like.

Oh, this is going to be an interesting FS! And it is going to have to have to be filled with the most unbelievable twists and turns if I am going to make up any ground with my predictions!

Erm, maybe I shouldn't have made my predictions 2 weeks before the Olympics...

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    Okey dokey let's get these scored!

Quote Originally Posted by 96skiluvr View Post
    Okey dokey let's get these scored!
    You know, you are seriously starting to get on my nerves.

Do you have any idea how much work it entails to do the scoring?! Or how time consuming it is?!

The girls that are doing the scoring all have real lives. They have to fit this around their jobs, or going to school.

It is not fair on them the way you are getting so impatient and pestering for the game to be scored.

For goodness sake, the last figure skating competition only finished last night! And we have not even had the Gala yet!

Most people would have at least waited until after the weekend before they even thought of starting to complain.

I admit we had problems with getting scoring done during the transition period from the Nationals Game to the ISU Game. But, that was due to circumstances beyond our control.

With American and Canadian Nationals, it was only the Men's category that was not scored quickly, and that was because the girl that had been scoring the Men had abandoned scoring the Game without having the courtesy of telling us! But, as soon as I found out, I organised a replacement, and the scoring was done within hours.

And with Europeans, the hold-up was because of some technical difficulties with the spreadsheet, that only the person that created it could fix. And as soon as those difficulties were solved, the scoring was done within hours.

In light of these things happening in the past, it is natural that you are afraid that something will happen again that will cause delays.

And I can understand that.

But starting to pester as soon as the competition is over does seem rather ignorant.

So, could you please have a little bit more patience?

I'm sorry I had to take this tone. I realise that the reason you are getting so impatient is because you have really enjoyed playing the Predictions Games, and are excited to find out how you have done. And, as somebody who has also really enjoyed playing the Predictions Games, I can relate to that.

We'll do our best to get it all done as quickly as possible.

CaroLiza_fan

Custom Title
    I don't mean to be rude, but I mean, pairs ended WELL over a week ago. It would have made your life easier if you had scored them as each event finished

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Do you have any idea how much work it entails to do the scoring?! Or how time consuming it is?!

The girls that are doing the scoring all have real lives. They have to fit this around their jobs, or going to school.

So, could you please have a little bit more patience?
    I don't mean to be rude, but I mean, pairs ended WELL over a week ago. It would have made your life easier if you had scored them as each event finished
    96skiluvr, you apparently missed or chose to ignore what CaroLiza_fan's courteous post said above.
    I trust that you will be volunteering to take your turn at scoring for next season's Prediction Games? No good reason for you not to -- if it truly were as quickly, easily, and conveniently accomplished as you seem to believe.

I for one assume that the volunteer scorers, like everyone else, have had very full plates as they juggle: (1) enjoyment of Sochi figure skating and other Olympic sports; (2) participation in the very lively GS discussions of all the skating; (3) all the activities of their normal lives.

But CaroLiza_fan doesn't score them. As he pointed out, there's four different people (including myself) who score each category. I have been bogged down with work and other responsibilities (not to mention catching up on the actual Olympics, since I did had to work during much of the figure skating competition).

I plan on scoring the men this weekend. Don't worry it won't be too long.

Ok, Ice Dance scoring is done... Hope I didn't make mistakes! Let me know The highest scores was 65: congrats to alebi, Florencito, s_parks, pitterpatter, tulosai

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    Ok, Ice Dance scoring is done... Hope I didn't make mistakes! Let me know
    Um... just one small thing...

For the final 2 rounds of the ISU Championships Predictions Game (the Winter Olympics and the World Championships), the rules are the same EXCEPT for the points scored.

As these 2 Championship are the most prestigious in Figure Skating, there will be DOUBLE POINTS on offer. So, it will be:

30 points for guessing right;
    20 points for 1 place out;
    10 points for 2 places out.
    :-D

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post

For the final 2 rounds of the ISU Championships Predictions Game (the Winter Olympics and the World Championships), the rules are the same EXCEPT for the points scored.

As these 2 Championship are the most prestigious in Figure Skating, there will be DOUBLE POINTS on offer. So, it will be:

30 points for guessing right;
    20 points for 1 place out;
    10 points for 2 places out.
    Don't worry, I had already spotted that and pointed it out in an e-mail to the scorers last night.

But, we decided to leave it the way it was until the conditional formatting was adjusted to highlight scores of "150" rather than "75"

That has now been done (THANK YOU SO MUCH pitterpatter!!! ), so I have just gone in and doubled the scores that were in the Dance column.

Hopefully it is all correct now

CaroLiza_fan

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post

Sorry!! I was quite tired yesterday, and didn't remember it I'm happy that everything is fixed, now!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast