Asada's Olympic Strategy | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Asada's Olympic Strategy

Icey

Record Breaker
I didn't see CandianSkaterguy's response. I start reading at the first unread message from my previous visit. I would guess that is what most people do. In any case, I am entitled to make a response too if I wish, even if it, as you allege, makes a volcano out of a molehill. I don't think there is a forum rule allowing only one response to a posting.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
Will the judges favour Yuna more? In Rafael Aruturian's interview a while back he kind of implied that Mao is the new ISU darling because she has stuck it out this quad unlike Yuna and the judges are turning a blind eye to her underrotations. She hasn't been skating that great this season but her scores are way up there.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I didn't see CandianSkaterguy's response. I start reading at the first unread message from my previous visit. I would guess that is what most people do. In any case, I am entitled to make a response too if I wish, even if it, as you allege, makes a volcano out of a molehill. I don't think there is a forum rule allowing only one response to a posting.

Perhaps not, but you made something that was slightly positive into something that was incredibly negative. ClockwiseSpinner was putting some things in a different light to which Kirk responded, and you you had to bring up "who has the most records for" flutzes, falls, attempted wins, etc. So yeah,

that

escalated

quickly.

And of course there's a forum rule allowing only one response to a posting. ;):rolleye:

FS_rrb

On the Ice
Well, if we are going to go there: Who holds the record for flutzes in isu competitions, who holds the record for the most falls in isu competitions, who holds the record for attempting to win a medal and never did., who holds the record for not including a 3/3 in their programs.

Well, since you posted this I'll try to answer...

Who holds the record for flutzes in ISU competitions? I don't know, but I guess that all the ladies who don't have proper lutzes (in fact, quite a lot these days) have done lots of flutzes in ISU competitions. So this record goes to all of them, congratulations.

Who holds the record for the most falls in ISU competitions? Well, we see lots of falls, you know, ice is slippery...but probably Chan, or Kostner some years ago.

Who holds the record of attempting to win a medal and never did? Lots of skaters have never won any medal at any major competition, so I guess that the record would go to all of them

Who holds the record for not including 3-3 in their programs? There are many ladies which don't have consistent triple-triples. From the top ones, I'd say Wagner since she has only started to do them this season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
I am well aware of that record but ClockwiseSpinner said "many records" which clearly imply much more records than that.

Many records means many records.
Are you that aware?
triple axel in the SP = 1 record
2 triple axels in the competition = 1 more record
3 triple axels in the same competition = 1 more record

That's how it works. Many implies many.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Weren't the rules changed after Vancouver to make it harder to get the kind of GOE Yu Na got in Vancouver? Or am I imagining that? I'm pretty sure the rule was changed to limit the number of double axels in the LP. The worst example of Mao being underscored/Yu Na being overscored was Mao's LP at 2010 Worlds. Mao skated clean with two 3A's. Yu Na fell and made another mistake (I think) and won the LP! Mao, of course, won the gold anyway, so it became kind of a moot point. But if she hadn't...

Mao under-rotated her second 3A, and a lack of lutzes resulted in Yu Na (who fell on a 3S and singled an axel) and Mao essentially having the same technical score after GOE/fall deduction (65.45 Kim vs. 67.02 Asada). Mao should have certainly won the FS, but as you said, it didn't matter in the long run. Yu Na lost the whole thing in the SP with a UR'ed flip, a bailed layback, and even a failed spiral sequence.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Mao Asada is training in Moscow before the Olympics?

According to Nikkan Sports, Asada's camp recently decided not to leave for Sochi in mid-January. It was said that Asada would train in Japan until early February.
Why did her camp change her schedule? Is she still struggling with 3A?

It's also intriguing whether Asada will participate in the team event or not.

What is happening to Asada? What is the best strategy for Asada to go for Olympic Gold?

According to a 23 Dec online Nikkan Sports article, Mao is likely to be training in Moscow where Tarasova is based before the Olympics. Not sure how reliable this info is tho.

Ven

Match Penalty
Mao wants the gold medal. She has a silver already, I think she's willing to go for broke and give up even a podium finish just for a long-shot at the gold.

Seems like her strategy is:
1) go for highest base value
2) pray for 1:100 chance she goes clean
3) maybe Yuna makes a mistake or two and Mao can finish ahead

Seems like a binary outcome at this point. Either everything goes her way and she wins or comes in a close second, or she risks it all and misses the podium entirely.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, if we are going to go there: Who holds the record for flutzes in isu competitions, who holds the record for the most falls in isu competitions, who holds the record for attempting to win a medal and never did., who holds the record for not including a 3/3 in their programs.

To keep negative records such as closwise suggest goes against the grain of how records are usually seen.

To keep "negative records" is just plain silly and to bring them up is in really poor taste. It would be like keeping records for the slowest person to finish a marathon, or most errors in tennis. Athletes, including skaters, go out to compete and try their best, and it's already hard enough on them when they don't succeed... to say so and so has the record for most number of falls or failed medal attempts is pretty cruel, and as mentioned, no we don't need to go there.

Let's keep the record-keeping about achievements instead of failures. ;)

I will say that as per Clockwise's original post, Mao having the slew of records (including those related to triple axels) doesn't entitle her to getting the same marks as Yu Na. As mentioned, those have to be earned. Mao has greatly improved her artistry and her choreo/transitions has exceeded Yu Na, but I still think Yu Na's presentation and polish is better (obviously, just my opinion) and that translates to higher PCS than Mao. I think if Mao skated as clean as her Vancouver SP in Sochi (with 3A, and the triple instead of a 2A) she will quite likely be placed ahead of Kim. In the freeskate, however, unless she lands her 3As or Kim severely implodes, Kim will win.

Icey

Record Breaker
Perhaps not, but you made something that was slightly positive into something that was incredibly negative. ClockwiseSpinner was putting some things in a different light to which Kirk responded, and you you had to bring up "who has the most records for" flutzes, falls, attempted wins, etc. So yeah,

that

escalated

quickly.

And of course there's a forum rule allowing only one response to a posting. ;):rolleye:

Whose making a volcano out of a molehill now? YOU!!! I didn't see the original post as slightly positive at all, which is why I responded as I did. It was insulting imo. Maybe I misunderstood it. If so, my apologies.

Barb

Record Breaker
Someone know when The federations going to say the participants in The team event?

jasminum

Rinkside

To keep negative records such as closwise suggest goes against the grain of how records are usually seen.

This is really bad taste. No respect for athletes who are doing their best and giving us the excitement and joy of watching figure skating. :slink:

Danibellerika

Medalist
Hi everyone. New poster here though I'm not a new skating fan. If it's true that Mao doesn't want to try for the team competition I do wonder why she would forego the opportunity to secure an olympic gold for herself even if it's a team medal. I think the Japanese ladies have a strong chance to win gold as a team to be quite honest.

Peach

Rinkside
Hi everyone. New poster here though I'm not a new skating fan. If it's true that Mao doesn't want to try for the team competition I do wonder why she would forego the opportunity to secure an olympic gold for herself even if it's a team medal. I think the Japanese ladies have a strong chance to win gold as a team to be quite honest.

Because it's not just the ladies that are competing. You are forgetting everyone else. This team event consists of all skaters from all 4 categories. This isn't ladies vs ladies or men vs men. It's all of them combined. Japan (probably) will not win gold because they will never win pairs or ice dancing.

ForeverFish

Medalist
As far as all-around strength in the team event goes, I would put Canada in the lead, followed by Russia, and then the US.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Hello! Welcome!

To my understanding, the team event won't really be like World Team Trophy. Only one ladies singles' entry is allowed compared to two at WTT. Personally, I think that Canada, Russia, and the U.S. are slightly more well-round across all disciplines--and perhaps some people see it that way as well.

Danibellerika

Medalist
(facepalm). Thank you guys. All of this time I was thinking "teams" would be for each discipline, so there would be 4 team medal categories. I didn't know they were combining it for ALL disciplines.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
(facepalm). Thank you guys. All of this time I was thinking "teams" would be for each discipline, so there would be 4 team medal categories. I didn't know they were combining it for ALL disciplines.

It's okay. But I totally agree that the Japanese ladies would slay at the Olympics if it was like your format! Haha!

Danibellerika

Medalist
I was honestly a bit disappointed because I only learned recently they were doing a team event. I was a big fan from '02-'06 and was thinking how skaters like Kwan and Cohen (my favorite) would have EASILY been gold medalists at that rate (repeat even)! 2002 specifically would have been crazy awesome. This format makes it a little more of a relief and I'm okay that it shows more well roundedness across everything. This would have been good for Russia in 2006 too.