Asada's Olympic Strategy | Golden Skate

Asada's Olympic Strategy

szidon

On the Ice
According to Nikkan Sports, Asada's camp recently decided not to leave for Sochi in mid-January. It was said that Asada would train in Japan until early February.
Why did her camp change her schedule? Is she still struggling with 3A?

It's also intriguing whether Asada will participate in the team event or not.

What is happening to Asada? What is the best strategy for Asada to go for Olympic Gold?

thinspread

On the Ice
That sounds like a smart choice for her. No need to go there so early. Time zone gap is not too big (5-6 hrs, I guess), and Japanese OC would provide direct flights to Sochi for their athletes, I believe.

I won't be surprised if they let Asada skip the team competition altogether. As Russia, Canada, U.S. and Japan are in for the team medal contention, Asada's jumps will come under pre-emptive scrutiny if she participate in the team event. That may not be a good situation for her, especially when there's been a series of comments recently made by some Russian coaches on the UR issues regarding her jumps, not just on her 3a.

ClockwiseSpinner

Rinkside
According to Nikkan Sports, Asada's camp recently decided not to leave for Sochi in mid-January. It was said that Asada would train in Japan until early February.
Why did her camp change her schedule? Is she still struggling with 3A?

It's also intriguing whether Asada will participate in the team event or not.

What is happening to Asada? What is the best strategy for Asada to go for Olympic Gold?

I think something happened in Mao's mind in 2010. After the short program in Vancouver.
She skated a perfect, difficult program, with a perfect triple axel, with emotion and joy.
She couldn't have done more than that.
And still, after her, she saw Yuna Kim skate and get monstruous scores from the judges.
I think that is the sad moment when she realized that there is nothing she can do:
the judges just love Yuna, and the judges will give her an edge no matter how many records Mao breaks with her triple axels.
And I think that she has the same feeling going in these olympics in Sochi: she knows Yuna is the heavy favorite.
So I think in her mind Mao's not competing with huge expectations to become olympic champion this time, but she'll skate to do her best.

yuki90

On the Ice
In recent her interview, Asada said she really wants to win OGM in Sochi. Actually, she said several times in different interviews her first goal is win the OGM. So many Japanese media expect Asada is the heavy favorite for the gold medal in Sochi. :)

Kirk

Rinkside
I think something happened in Mao's mind in 2010. After the short program in Vancouver.
She skated a perfect, difficult program, with a perfect triple axel, with emotion and joy.
And still, after her, she saw Yuna Kim skate and get monstruous scores from the judges.
I think that is the sad moment when she realized that there is nothing she can do:
the judges just love Yuna, and the judges will give her an edge no matter how many records Mao breaks with her triple axels.
And I think that she has the same feeling going in these olympics in Sochi: she knows Yuna is the heavy favorite.
So I think in her mind Mao's not competing with huge expectations to become olympic champion this time, but she'll skate to do her best.

Just exactly how many records has Asada broken with her 3 axels? The most attempts that did not get ratified? The most attempts that were two footed?
Judges don't give scores to Yuna . She has to earn them. You make it sound like judges are against Asada in favor of Yuna. REALLY? LMAO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I admit I thought Yuna deserved Vancouver BUT Ididn't think by so much. I think Mao's greatest problems are here jumps they just aren't that consistent or clean with urs and edges forget the 3Axel. As we know the technical problems generally affect the flow of the program (pcs). Still she has to be a favourite for at least a podium finish.

Icey

Record Breaker
Just exactly how many records has Asada broken with her 3 axels? The most attempts that did not get ratified? The most attempts that were two footed?
Judges don't give scores to Yuna . She has to earn them. You make it sound like judges are against Asada in favor of Yuna. REALLY? LMAO.

At the 2010 Winter Olympics, she became the first woman to land three triple axel jumps in the same competition, for which she earned a Guinness World Record.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Asada recently said in an interview with her sister that landing 3 triple axels remains a personal goal. Now whether or not there is a subtext there that is her personal goal for winning an OGM remains to be seen concretely, but she has her own personal agenda going to Sochi. She even said that skating clean program, even with just one 3A, wouldn't make her happy- and we have seen her do it as well. She skated mostly clean programs in 2011 without the 3A and she still won to qualify for that season's GPF (which was of course scrapped because of obvious reasons) and yet she seemed happier and more encouraged when skating more difficult, albeit mostly flawed, programs because of her spirit. Clearly- whereas Kim is smart to perfect and fine tune her technical arsenal and artistry to earn more points than she can handle, Asada has remained to be the proverbial skater who skates from her gut.

There comes a point where logic and reason do not stand a chance against these athletes. If they are competing for their personal satisfaction- then take the medals out of the equation and somehow the picture looks more encouraging no?

Krislite

Medalist

I think it's quite the opposite. Mao's not going for broke with her highly ambitious jump layout for no reason. She's gunning for that OGM. If she didn't believe she had any chance surely she would have given up a while ago.

Kirk

Rinkside
At the 2010 Winter Olympics, she became the first woman to land three triple axel jumps in the same competition, for which she earned a Guinness World Record.

I am well aware of that record but ClockwiseSpinner said "many records" which clearly imply much more records than that.

Kirk

Rinkside
Asada recently said in an interview with her sister that landing 3 triple axels remains a personal goal. Now whether or not there is a subtext there that is her personal goal for winning an OGM remains to be seen concretely, but she has her own personal agenda going to Sochi. She even said that skating clean program, even with just one 3A, wouldn't make her happy- and we have seen her do it as well. She skated mostly clean programs in 2011 without the 3A and she still won to qualify for that season's GPF (which was of course scrapped because of obvious reasons) and yet she seemed happier and more encouraged when skating more difficult, albeit mostly flawed, programs because of her spirit. Clearly- whereas Kim is smart to perfect and fine tune her technical arsenal and artistry to earn more points than she can handle, Asada has remained to be the proverbial skater who skates from her gut.

There comes a point where logic and reason do not stand a chance against these athletes. If they are competing for their personal satisfaction- then take the medals out of the equation and somehow the picture looks more encouraging no?
ITA. Mao has clearly sentimental perspective when it comes to 3 axel and I really admire that. Her going for 3a despite constant inconsistency should be a milestone of attempt at defying one's limit for all the young skaters.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Weren't the rules changed after Vancouver to make it harder to get the kind of GOE Yu Na got in Vancouver? Or am I imagining that? I'm pretty sure the rule was changed to limit the number of double axels in the LP. The worst example of Mao being underscored/Yu Na being overscored was Mao's LP at 2010 Worlds. Mao skated clean with two 3A's. Yu Na fell and made another mistake (I think) and won the LP! Mao, of course, won the gold anyway, so it became kind of a moot point. But if she hadn't...

Kelly

On the Ice
Why did her camp change her schedule? Because her camp thinks the new schedule is better for Asada to compete at Sochi. Is it that hard to understand? What is the best strategy for Asada to go for Olympic Gold? The strategy her camp is doing right now.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am well aware of that record but ClockwiseSpinner said "many records" which clearly imply much more records than that.

First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
Greatest number of triple axel jumps ever landed by a female skater.

Asada is also the first singles skater from Asia to win multiple World titles, and is the first female skater to win all 7 GP events.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
Greatest number of triple axel jumps ever landed by a female skater.

Asada is also the first singles skater from Asia to win multiple World titles, and is the first female skater to win all 7 GP events.

So that's about 9 records right there...:biggrin:

Icey

Record Breaker

Well, if we are going to go there: Who holds the record for flutzes in isu competitions, who holds the record for the most falls in isu competitions, who holds the record for attempting to win a medal and never did., who holds the record for not including a 3/3 in their programs.

To keep negative records such as closwise suggest goes against the grain of how records are usually seen.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Well, if we are going to go there: Who holds the record for flutzes in isu competitions, who holds the record for the most falls in isu competitions, who holds the record for attempting to win a medal and never did., who holds the record for not including a 3/3 in their programs.

Well, that escalated quickly.

How about, "No, let's NOT go there."

CanadianSkaterGuy already answered the question. I don't see why you feel the need to make a volcano out of a molehill.