Asada's Olympic Strategy | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Asada's Olympic Strategy

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
All of this time I was thinking "teams" would be for each discipline, so there would be 4 team medal categories.
Hi Danibellerika!
Hey, in Biathlon, they already had Men's and Women's Sprint, Pursuit, Individual, and Relay (I don't think there's Mass Start at the OGs... yet). And now they've added Mixed Relay as another medal contest.
So I'd say it would be only fair to have it as you pictured it as well! :agree:
But they should definitely learn from Sochi and do those Team Events after the individuals, which would help give it the great crowd pleasing atmosphere - and the top athletes wouldn't be worried of compromising their individual chances... It would be a great competition for the closing day(s) of the Olympics, to make everybody remember the OGs with a big smile... :clap:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Well, we'll see how the strategy works. At Vancouver, Tarasova advised Asada to arrive early to adjust the environment, but she didn't listen. She didn't arrive at Vancouver until a week before the competition.

I guess she wants to work on 3A without people watching. She said that two 3A in the opening mean more than 50% of the entire program to her after FS at Nationals.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Hi Danibellerika!
Hey, in Biathlon, they already had Men's and Women's Sprint, Pursuit, Individual, and Relay. And now they've added Mixed Relay as another medal contest.
But they should definitely learn from Sochi and do those Team Events after the individuals, which would help give it the great crowd pleasing atmosphere - and the top athletes wouldn't be worried of compromising their individual chances... It would be a great competition for the closing day(s) of the Olympics, to make everybody remember the OGs with a big smile... :clap:

Yeah I like the idea of individuals first and THEN team. I think the would definitely have a better energy after the individuals are out of the way.

Hi Danibellerika!
Hey, in Biathlon, they already had Men's and Women's Sprint, Pursuit, Individual, and Relay (I don't think there's Mass Start at the OGs... yet). And now they've added Mixed Relay as another medal contest.

Yes, I don't understand why the Team is held before the Individual. This isn't gymnastics. The events aren't related, and the results in one don't influence the list of competitors in the other. To have the Team first could risk an injury to competitors that might make trouble for their individual events.

Frenchie

Medalist
Yes, I don't understand why the Team is held before the Individual. This isn't gymnastics. The events aren't related, and the results in one don't influence the list of competitors in the other. To have the Team first could risk an injury to competitors that might make trouble for their individual events.

Before individual is already bad.
But before the opening ceremony is just "throwing pearls before swine", if you'll allow me this expression. People won't even be in "the Olympic Mood" when that crowd pleasing competition starts! I don't get it. :confused2:

(Political Correctness Disclaimer: by pearls before swine I mean waste of a great show, not that any viewers would be swine...)

Franklin99

Medalist
Before individual is already bad.
But before the opening ceremony is just "throwing pearls before swine", if you'll allow me this expression. People won't even be in "the Olympic Mood" when that crowd pleasing competition starts! I don't get it. :confused2:

(Political Correctness Disclaimer: by pearls before swine I mean waste of a great show, not that any viewers would be swine...)

It's sad that you have to explain the "swine" terminology. And I agree with you guys regarding the unnecessary team event happening before the important events.

AmEagle3313

Rinkside
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
Greatest number of triple axel jumps ever landed by a female skater.

Asada is also the first singles skater from Asia to win multiple World titles, and is the first female skater to win all 7 GP events.

Tonya Harding landed a triple axel-double toe combination in the short program at Skate America, 1991. Because there wasn't an ISU Grand Prix at that point, was Skate America not considered an ISU competition? I'm just wondering if that is how Mao Asada is credited as the first woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU Competition. Tonya also landed two triple axels in the same competition (SP triple axel combo, LP solo triple axel).

mskater93

Record Breaker

Supposedly because "Ladies Singles is the jewel in the crown of the Winter Games, and the networks (ie NBC who put up a lot of $$$$$) want that last".

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Tonya Harding landed a triple axel-double toe combination in the short program at Skate America, 1991. Because there wasn't an ISU Grand Prix at that point, was Skate America not considered an ISU competition? I'm just wondering if that is how Mao Asada is credited as the first woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU Competition. Tonya also landed two triple axels in the same competition (SP triple axel combo, LP solo triple axel).

Another 3A in a SP ISU event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPlMwqh0pY

pec0

Match Penalty
Takahashi Kihara pairs substitutes Estonia team in Olympic pairs participants. I'm sorry Estonia pairs could not clear nationality condition. But as you say USA, Canada, Russia teams especially are too strong in ice dance and pairs.

Frenchie

Medalist
Takahashi Kihara pairs substitutes Estonia team in Olympic pairs participants. I'm sorry Estonia pairs could not clear nationality condition. But as you say USA, Canada, Russia teams especially are too strong in ice dance and pairs.

Now that's a take on Asada's Olympic Strategy I did not see coming! :laugh: