Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Asada's Olympic Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    Before individual is already bad.
    But before the opening ceremony is just "throwing pearls before swine", if you'll allow me this expression. People won't even be in "the Olympic Mood" when that crowd pleasing competition starts! I don't get it.

(Political Correctness Disclaimer: by pearls before swine I mean waste of a great show, not that any viewers would be swine...)

It's sad that you have to explain the "swine" terminology. And I agree with you guys regarding the unnecessary team event happening before the important events.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at the Winter Olympics.
    First woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU competition.
    First woman to land the triple axel at the World Junior Championships.
    First woman to land the triple axel in junior international competition.
    First woman to land two triple axel jumps in the same program.
    First woman to land three triple axel jumps in one competition.
    Greatest number of triple axel jumps ever landed by a female skater.

Asada is also the first singles skater from Asia to win multiple World titles, and is the first female skater to win all 7 GP events.
    Tonya Harding landed a triple axel-double toe combination in the short program at Skate America, 1991. Because there wasn't an ISU Grand Prix at that point, was Skate America not considered an ISU competition? I'm just wondering if that is how Mao Asada is credited as the first woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU Competition. Tonya also landed two triple axels in the same competition (SP triple axel combo, LP solo triple axel).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yes, I don't understand why the Team is held before the Individual. This isn't gymnastics. The events aren't related, and the results in one don't influence the list of competitors in the other. To have the Team first could risk an injury to competitors that might make trouble for their individual events.
    Supposedly because "Ladies Singles is the jewel in the crown of the Winter Games, and the networks (ie NBC who put up a lot of $$$$$) want that last".

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEagle3313 View Post
    Tonya Harding landed a triple axel-double toe combination in the short program at Skate America, 1991. Because there wasn't an ISU Grand Prix at that point, was Skate America not considered an ISU competition? I'm just wondering if that is how Mao Asada is credited as the first woman to land the triple axel in a short program at an ISU Competition. Tonya also landed two triple axels in the same competition (SP triple axel combo, LP solo triple axel).
    Another 3A in a SP ISU event: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPlMwqh0pY

Banned
    Takahashi Kihara pairs substitutes Estonia team in Olympic pairs participants. I'm sorry Estonia pairs could not clear nationality condition. But as you say USA, Canada, Russia teams especially are too strong in ice dance and pairs.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    Takahashi Kihara pairs substitutes Estonia team in Olympic pairs participants. I'm sorry Estonia pairs could not clear nationality condition. But as you say USA, Canada, Russia teams especially are too strong in ice dance and pairs.
    Now that's a take on Asada's Olympic Strategy I did not see coming!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4