Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Custom Title

Exclamation Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...y-law/4374625/
    After speaking out against Russia's anti-gay law last fall, Wagner said in an interview Tuesday that she "absolutely" plans to continue talking about her opposition to the controversial law when in Sochi, presuming she makes the U.S. team this week, and is looking into options such as wearing "rainbow nails (and) rainbow earrings" while competing.

"This is the opportunity for this Olympics to be groundbreaking," Wagner, 22, said after a practice at the venerable Skating Club of Boston.

Asked if she will talk about the law at her news conferences at the Olympic Games in Sochi, Wagner didn't hesitate for a moment:

"Absolutely," she said. "It's something that I feel strongly about and I'm never one to not say what I'm thinking. I just speak my mind. It's something I can't stay quiet about. If it's my opinion, I'm going to say it."

Custom Title

Such an amazing spirit. Good luck to her at Nationals!

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Oh Ashley, please say these things AFTER you get named to the Olympic team..... She must be really confident in her training this week.

But good for her. I bet she'll say she's skating to Roma and Juliet, a story about two young women in love. I love her.

I'm a Canadian so I speak as a CLOSE outsider but Ashley is what I think about when I think about America at its best. I hope Americans are proud of her.

Custom Title
    Yay Ashley. Last year Laura Robson a young British tennis player wore a rainbow ribbon in her hair during her matches at the Aussie open after former Aussie champion, Margaret Court, made homophobic remarks before the tournament.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    Yay Ashley. Last year Laura Robson a young British tennis player wore a rainbow ribbon in her hair during her matches at the Aussie open after former Aussie champion, Margaret Court, made homophobic remarks before the tournament.
    I remember that... I was mortified to hear that tennis' most decorated Grand Slam player could spew such vile things, particularly when two of the game's best players - King and Navratilova - among other greats like Amelie Mauresmo, Gigi Fernandez, Lisa Raymond, have been such great role models of LGBT athletes.

Laura Robson on the other hand deserves applause for her support (and her mixed doubles silver in London with Andy Murray! ).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Oh Ashley, please say these things AFTER you get named to the Olympic team..... She must be really confident in her training this week.
    Let's be honest, she will make the Olympic team no matter how poorly she might perform, given her performances throughout the season and being undeniably the #1 US skater going into Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I remember that... I was mortified to hear that tennis' most decorated Grand Slam player could spew such vile things, particularly when two of the game's best players - King and Navratilova - among other greats like Amelie Mauresmo, Gigi Fernandez, Lisa Raymond, have been such great role models of LGBT athletes.

Laura Robson on the other hand deserves applause for her support (and her mixed doubles silver in London with Andy Murray! ).
    I wish there was a 'Like', 'Fan', or 'Fave' button to press on this site.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post

And Rene Stubbs (sp?).

She is a brave, compassionate and intelligent person

Custom Title
    Brave of Ashley to be violating rule 50: No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” Disqualification a possibility.

how are nails and earrings a demonstration? (other than her saying it so)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Brave of Ashley to be violating rule 50: No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” Disqualification a possibility.
    Rainbow fingernails and earrings... clearly a demonstration of political propaganda of epic proportions.

Volosozhar/Trankov are also very brave to face potential disqualification for spreading religious propaganda with their Jesus Chris Superstar freeskate.

Custom Title
    By her saying so. Just like raised fists. I would support her expulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    But what does that mean anyway? If you stand for something, ANYTHING, I'm sure someone would consider it political or religious 'propaganda'. That is such a weak rule. IMO.

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast