Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Taan

On the Ice
Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...agner-speaks-out-russia-anti-gay-law/4374625/
After speaking out against Russia's anti-gay law last fall, Wagner said in an interview Tuesday that she "absolutely" plans to continue talking about her opposition to the controversial law when in Sochi, presuming she makes the U.S. team this week, and is looking into options such as wearing "rainbow nails (and) rainbow earrings" while competing.

"This is the opportunity for this Olympics to be groundbreaking," Wagner, 22, said after a practice at the venerable Skating Club of Boston.

Asked if she will talk about the law at her news conferences at the Olympic Games in Sochi, Wagner didn't hesitate for a moment:

"Absolutely," she said. "It's something that I feel strongly about and I'm never one to not say what I'm thinking. I just speak my mind. It's something I can't stay quiet about. If it's my opinion, I'm going to say it."

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Oh Ashley, please say these things AFTER you get named to the Olympic team..... She must be really confident in her training this week.

But good for her. I bet she'll say she's skating to Roma and Juliet, a story about two young women in love. I love her.

RABID

Final Flight
I'm a Canadian so I speak as a CLOSE outsider but Ashley is what I think about when I think about America at its best. I hope Americans are proud of her.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yay Ashley. Last year Laura Robson a young British tennis player wore a rainbow ribbon in her hair during her matches at the Aussie open after former Aussie champion, Margaret Court, made homophobic remarks before the tournament.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yay Ashley. Last year Laura Robson a young British tennis player wore a rainbow ribbon in her hair during her matches at the Aussie open after former Aussie champion, Margaret Court, made homophobic remarks before the tournament.

I remember that... I was mortified to hear that tennis' most decorated Grand Slam player could spew such vile things, particularly when two of the game's best players - King and Navratilova - among other greats like Amelie Mauresmo, Gigi Fernandez, Lisa Raymond, have been such great role models of LGBT athletes.

Laura Robson on the other hand deserves applause for her support (and her mixed doubles silver in London with Andy Murray! :biggrin:).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Oh Ashley, please say these things AFTER you get named to the Olympic team..... She must be really confident in her training this week.

Let's be honest, she will make the Olympic team no matter how poorly she might perform, given her performances throughout the season and being undeniably the #1 US skater going into Nationals.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I remember that... I was mortified to hear that tennis' most decorated Grand Slam player could spew such vile things, particularly when two of the game's best players - King and Navratilova - among other greats like Amelie Mauresmo, Gigi Fernandez, Lisa Raymond, have been such great role models of LGBT athletes.

Laura Robson on the other hand deserves applause for her support (and her mixed doubles silver in London with Andy Murray! :biggrin:).

I wish there was a 'Like', 'Fan', or 'Fave' button to press on this site.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States

And Rene Stubbs (sp?).

Icey

Record Breaker
Brave of Ashley to be violating rule 50: No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” Disqualification a possibility.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
how are nails and earrings a demonstration? (other than her saying it so)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Brave of Ashley to be violating rule 50: No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” Disqualification a possibility.

Rainbow fingernails and earrings... clearly a demonstration of political propaganda of epic proportions. :laugh:

Volosozhar/Trankov are also very brave to face potential disqualification for spreading religious propaganda with their Jesus Chris Superstar freeskate. ;)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist

But what does that mean anyway? If you stand for something, ANYTHING, I'm sure someone would consider it political or religious 'propaganda'. That is such a weak rule. IMO.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
By her saying so. Just like raised fists. I would support her expulsion.

Hah, scared about Julia's bronze, eh? ;)

She's allowed to speak her mind. That includes when she's inevitably questioned and interviewed about the laws, likely on multiple occasions. If she says/Tweets that her FS is dedicated to all LGBT people and is representative of their rightful place in Russian society, then all of a sudden does her FS become political propaganda?

If you support Ashley's expulsion for fingernails/earrings, you're going to be supporting the expulsion of a ton of athletes who will do the same, if not greater, shows of solidarity.

gmyers

Record Breaker
She has said if she goes her main priority will be to campaign agianst laws that the host has passed. That's just a violation of IOC rules and Olympic charter.

thinspread

On the Ice

Yes, I'm worried about that too. She will be one of the high profile athletes in the games. If Russian organizers want to make an issue out of it, it may end up on the table of IOC. But I admire her spirit, and it's her call.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Exactly - in skating the programs have had religious or political overtones (several well known European Ice Dance teams over the years, especially Olympic years)... why is nail polish so offensive?

I mean if a dance team can do a highly racist/offensive OD and that was just four years ago...

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hah, scared about Julia's bronze, eh? ;)

She's allowed to speak her mind. That includes when she's inevitably questioned and interviewed about the laws, likely on multiple occasions. If she says/Tweets that her FS is dedicated to all LGBT people and is representative of their rightful place in Russian society, then all of a sudden does her FS become political propaganda?

If you support Ashley's expulsion for fingernails/earrings, you're going to be supporting the expulsion of a ton of athletes who will do the same, if not greater, shows of solidarity.

Then rule 50 must be repealed now.