Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
But hey, she got a cat this year, maybe she was too focused on her cat and how much she missed him. That makes about as much sense as your explanation.
I think that explanation was a kind of joke (like your's one about a cat). But this coincidence (her words and further result) can be understood as a hint that she is acting not quite right way ;)

Buttercup

Record Breaker
I think that explanation was a kind of joke (like your's one about a cat). But this coincidence (her words and further result) can be understood as a hint that she is acting not quite right way ;)
I have no doubt that Bluebonnet is dead serious and completely literal.

Wagner is absolutely acting the right way and should be an example to other skaters. She is an intelligent, articulate and insightful young woman.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
Whatever made you laugh I'm happy for it.;)
Stand-up comedy often does make me laugh.
But seriously, if you feel better when other people call you homophobic, then I won't ask them not to in the future. Lesson learned.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Maybe Ashley is making a fashion statement rather than a political one - however she won't have much power fashion, political or athleticawise if she doesn't first get herself to Sochi.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Stand-up comedy often does make me laugh.
But seriously, if you feel better when other people call you homophobic, then I won't ask them not to in the future. Lesson learned.

This is a complete non-sense! So people are all at your command on how to treat me? If you don't know what to talk about besides getting on my back and making personal attacks, I suggest you to talk about weather or just read for a while. But I have to say that I did enjoy talking with you.;)

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
what happens when you open your mouth for the sake of media attention without not knowing the situation and not focusing on qualifying for teh team first instead

she got Karma maybe ?

caelum

On the Ice
what happens when you open your mouth for the sake of media attention without not knowing the situation and not focusing on qualifying for teh team first instead

she got Karma maybe ?

Karma, for what? Speaking out against an unjust law, and thus the heteronormative supremacist culture that the law derives from? Further, what situation does she not understand? Must you be a sociologist or cultural historian specializing in Russia to know the obvious fact that Russia treats their LGBTQ population terribly? And in what way does speaking out in some press conference / interview in any way prevent her from "focusing on qualifying for the team" ? Does giving a short interview take too much time? You have repeatedly said she was worn-out, so what could she had done anyway? Practicing more would have surely worn her out more right?

I get you don't like her as a skater, and your rancorous glee at her loss is pretty sad. I suppose you just like having your ego stroked for your successful prediction. But why does your dislike of her skating have to extend to making snarky, mean-spirited digs at her?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If karma truly existed, sky_fly would have been flattened by a zamboni ages ago for her bitchy attitude. :p

Only she would actually criticize somebody advocating against discrimination, and label it as attention-seeking. :rolleye:

Red Helicopter

Rinkside
Karma, for what? Speaking out against an unjust law, and thus the heteronormative supremacist culture that the law derives from? Further, what situation does she not understand? Must you be a sociologist or cultural historian specializing in Russia to know the obvious fact that Russia treats their LGBTQ population terribly? And in what way does speaking out in some press conference / interview in any way prevent her from "focusing on qualifying for the team" ? Does giving a short interview take too much time? You have repeatedly said she was worn-out, so what could she had done anyway? Practicing more would have surely worn her out more right?
She spoke of what she's going to do in Sochi while she wasn't yet qualified there, didn't she?
Now she's in hands of USFS, and they should decide, if Ashley will paint rainbow on her nails in Sochi, or she'll have to do the same at home :)
By the way, it's not athlete's prerogative to judge which law is a just one, and which is unjust. Especially talking about other countries.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Is the situation of gays in Russia really so terrible?

I am more interested what Johnny Weir think of this problem. He lived in Russia and knows the situation in the country better than Wagner.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
She spoke of what she's going to do in Sochi while she wasn't yet qualified there, didn't she?
Now she's in hands of USFS, and they should decide, if Ashley will paint rainbow on her nails in Sochi, or she'll have to do the same at home :)
By the way, it's not athlete's prerogative to judge which law is a just one, and which is unjust. Especially talking about other countries.

Tell that to six million murdered Jews. Marty Glickstein and another US sprinter were pulled from the 4X100 meter final because Hitler objected to their participation and Avery Brundage the head of the US Olympic committee complied. Perhaps if he had objected they would have been able to run as was their right.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Tell that to six million murdered Jews. Marty Glickstein and another US sprinter were pulled from the 4X100 meter final because Hitler objected to their participation and Avery Brundage the head of the US Olympic committee complied. Perhaps if he had objected they would have been able to run as was their right.

Do you really want to compare contemporary Russia to Hitler-Germany?

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist

A reporter asked her if she'd speak her mind if asked about it if she made it to Sochi.
She answered to the question asked. Which isn't attention seeking, but polite.

As sad as I am for her, I'm ok with her not making it to Sochi, I'd love it if she went on a US tour instead, to promote tolerance for LGBT and speak out against antiquated views on bigotry and homophobia that should not be accepted anymore in today's society.
:agree:

caelum

On the Ice
Is the situation of gays in Russia really so terrible?

I am more interested what Johnny Weir think of this problem. He lived in Russia and knows the situation in the country better than Wagner.

Russian isn't exact Uganda, but it's still a pretty bad place for LGBTQ persons. And it's not just this recent law passed or the prohibition against same-sex marriage. The extralegal discrimination and violence against LGBTQ people is really the worst. Employment opportunities are very small if you are openly gay and violence against LGBTQ people is tolerated. For example, in the last few months, there has been a slew of videos posted on Russian social media of young gay men being captured and humiliated or tortured. People have reported that several have been murdered, but the police aren't really interested in investigating. Other, less organized violence, is reported to be prevalent by activists in Russia, but quality statistics on this stuff is hard to come by because, surprise surprise, the Russian government isn't exactly willing to collect and release this kind of data. The so-called "anti-propaganda" law has only emboldened discrimination and violence against the LGBTQ population and its wording is so-vague it can be used as a catch-all against anyone trying to advocate for tolerance of LGBTQ people.

Also, though irrelevant to my point, I couldn't find any google results saying Johnny Weir lived in Russia. Only that his husband, who he married in New York, was Russian-born.

Last edited: