Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner making a statement against Russia's law

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    It was quite clear what sky-fly meant was that Ashley Wagner did not focus on what she should have completely focused on. Instead, she has devoted too much of her thoughts on a controversial political issue. Well, it might or might not have been pronounced too early. I'd prefer to see Wagner's LP before I say anything.
    The implication being that because she didn't completely focus on skating and made comments supporting LGBT people, that somehow translated to errors in the short program.

If Wagner happens to skate a good freeskate and manages to win, then should we say that's due to her speaking out against the laws? That would also make no sense.

Hence warped sense of cause and effect.

Custom Title
    You do not have much logic to stand on the issue, so you start the lowball and personal attacks.
    World record for quickest hypocrisy?

Rinkside
    She really considers Olympic Games to be political tribune instead of sport event?
    If person is concentrated on demonstrating one's nails she is likely to forget that the major aim of visiting Sochi was competition

Quote Originally Posted by sky_fly20 View Post
    hmm Wagner is 4th in SP,
    this is what happens when you open your mouth instead on focusing on skating clean and making the team first
    But if she had not spoken out she would have fallen twice and been eighth in the short program. How do I know this? Oh, it's just one of the many things I know.

Custom Title
    Good point, Mathman! Clearly, speaking up was what allowed Ashley to skate the rest of her program cleanly after the error instead of the multiple errors she otherwise would have had.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Helicopter View Post
    She really considers Olympic Games to be political tribune instead of sport event?
    If person is concentrated on demonstrating one's nails she is likely to forget that the major aim of visiting Sochi was competition
    I'm pretty sure she considers it to be a sport event first and foremost. She isn't putting on some political demonstration. She will speak out against the laws when inevitably asked about it instead of choose to be silent, and she will show support for LGBT Russians with rainbow fingernails. That's all there is to it. People are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    But if she had not spoken out she would have fallen twice and been eighth in the short program. How do I know this? Oh, it's just one of the many things I know.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    If Wagner happens to skate a good freeskate and manages to win, then should we say that's due to her speaking out against the laws? That would also make no sense.
    That is a complete twist. If Wagner could manage to win the National title again, she will be a "hero" in many people's eyes, And it gives her more leeway to act off the ice. If she lost her title, she'll be laughed by some at her limelight stealing comments.

World record for quickest hypocrisy?
    Can't compete with you on this one. The world record is yours.

Oh, come on, MM - if she hadn't answered the constant questions about gay rights and Sochi she would have been flawless, scored over 80 and been recognized as better than the Kween AND YOU KNOW IT. Stop telling a lie!

Seriously, this is such a stupid argument. Wagner has a brain and has experience, and is able to focus on more than one thing at a time. She had an off skate, it happens.

I seem to recall that the most recent American OGM did not win Nationals in either of the two years leading up to the Olympics.

limelight stealing comments.

And here's our daily reminder: to make our inner self smile again, take a minute and watch the cuddling lion cubs

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    And here's our daily reminder: to make our inner self smile again, take a minute and watch the cuddling lion cubs
    Awww, that's so cute. I can see the headline a year from now: Three young lions bite head off zookeeper.

Awww, that's so cute. I can see the headline a year from now: Three young lions bite head off zookeeper.
    well, that was the sad thing: it was his last day before leaving so he... skipped their... less cuddly phase

Rinkside
    People are really making a mountain out of a molehill here.
    The same I can say about "horrible" law she is going to protest, really.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I seem to recall that the most recent American OGM did not win Nationals in either of the two years leading up to the Olympics.
    That's true. However, without winning National title this time will make her seemed ...a little unfocused. Besides, no one would dare to hope Wagner could steal the OGM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Helicopter View Post
    The same I can say about "horrible" law she is going to protest, really.
    Exactly! Much of this uproar from the west has been built upon lack of understanding of the actual law as well as the cold war mentality from the biased media.

That's true. However, without winning National title this time will make her seemed ...a little unfocused TO ME.
    There, fixed that for you.

Not winning nationals will make it seem as though Wagner wasn't at her best at nationals. Any other conclusion is your own, driven by your obvious distaste for her views.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    There, fixed that for you.

Not winning nationals will make it seem as though Wagner wasn't at her best at nationals. Any other conclusion is your own, driven by your obvious distaste for her views.
    You are dreaming if you actually believe that only me and a couple of posters on this forum would think so.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast